Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

2 hours ago, Mrs.J said:

I am taking a table I got for $40 for a games table. I am working on painting it with milk paint and do a Steampunk theme. Hope to have it done the end of this week. :D

@Thanatos_I_Am -- go back a number of pages in banter to earlier this week, @Mrs.J posted some in-progress pics of her project. It's an awesome repurposing and refinishing of a game table...and as I mentioned earlier, the drawer pulls on it are particularly cool from a thematic standpoint.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

@Thanatos_I_Am -- go back a number of pages in banter to earlier this week, @Mrs.J posted some in-progress pics of her project. It's an awesome repurposing and refinishing of a game table...and as I mentioned earlier, the drawer pulls on it are particularly cool from a thematic standpoint.  :)

Here is the registry all placed and ready to paint tomorrow. I may even have it all finished by tomorrow. Minus the gear pulls on the side.  

29C8A261-1001-4BBF-836C-E4ECEFBD4825.jpeg

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Jebman said:

20 degrees with all sleet, very fine stuff that the wind is blowing all over the place. Its gonna be tough to measure. Winds are north to 30 mph. Wind chill is about 5 above zero. So surreal down here in the Deep South.

I'd be irritated reading this post from anyone other than you, Jeb. I have been to Austin TX in July and I was cooked to my core in minutes in the midday sun there. And now you all get wintry precip at a colder temp than I've gotten any this whole season. Awesome, but damn it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

I'd be irritated reading this post from anyone other than you, Jeb. I have been to Austin TX in July and I was cooked to my core in minutes in the midday sun there. And now you all get wintry precip at a colder temp than I've gotten any at all season. Awesome, but damn it.

You may not realize this just yet, but winter is gonna get awesome there this season. This arctic airmass is just getting started. The Greenland Block ain't going nowhere. Not for weeks and weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm still laughing at tracker's burger post. I've gone back to it like 5 times today just to chuckle. Most well crafted humor post of all of my 15+ years here. God knows I've seen a lot of funny things over that time too. 

It was a true masterpiece! Exquisite work of poetic art! Worthy of saving. 

On 2/12/2021 at 10:36 AM, coh said:

Western NY ain't a bad place to be if you can find a decent job (or if you're retired). My wife and I have been up here since 2003. We live in western Monroe county (near Brockport). Pretty nice, still lots of farmland and open space. We average about 100" of snow but are not in one of the prime lake effect belts where bands set up and dump 60" in a day. It comes in frequent smaller amounts, lots of days with 1-3". An occasional synoptic storm as well, I'd say most winters there is one big event in the 12-24" range. This year we're well below average but still have had nearly 50" with a solid 8" or so on the ground right now.

We lived in Maryland and Virginia for 10 years and I actually preferred the climate down there. I'm more of a summer person and frankly am getting tired of the long, dark, cold winters. The biggest problems are the lack of sun from November - March, sometimes you can go weeks without any sun. And the springs often tend to be delayed, cold, wet. That's partly due to the cold lakes being nearby. On the other hand, summer and fall are glorious.

We'll probably retire in Virginia or NC though we're also toying with the idea of shaking things up and spending some time out west. Time will tell...

Try the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I LOVED visiting that place so much, long happy beach jebwalks there.......

• Like 1

Its down to 19 degrees with north winds to 35mph, wind chills below zero ------ and a lot of sleet. I'm sure there will be papers written on this storm in Texas that likely will dump massive amounts of snow in north Texas, but here in south central, looks like a lot of very fine sleet, falling very thickly, whipped about by brutal northerly winds. I think I will probably get about an inch of sleet if I'm lucky lol. The sleet is so fine, its drifting all over, gets blown off the roof. When I went outside for a jebwalk I got a full faceful of sleet that got blown off the roof. Even so this is truly amazing, here I am in south central Texas, where the average temps are 64/44 this time of year, got low 20s all day and falling, and now the bottom is dropping out of the thermometer as we fall into the single numbers, with highs tomorrow that may not even get out of the teens! That would figure to be some 44-50 degrees below normal tomorrow for HIGHS! This is no time to be driving around down here where I dont even think they have plows for roads!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Snow and blowing snow at DFW right now and 11 degrees.  Wonder what is the last time DCA had an ob like that.

PDII maybe? That's actually kind of sad to think about. I guess it's what we get to be able to have 99% of our storms be 2" of slop to rain events with the other 1% being the big dog HECS storms that melt away after a week. What an area :unsure:

Tonight
Snow. Low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -10. North northwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Washington's Birthday
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 20. Wind chill values as low as -10. North northwest wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 6. Wind chill values as low as -1. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light northeast after midnight.

This forecast for my hometown of Austin (southernmost lower 48 capital city) is both extremely impressive and depressing. Average annual snowfall is 0.3" and normal high is in the mid-60's. I can't handle seasonal snowfall and low temps outperforming DC like this. Jealous of Jeb...

I feel very, very badly for those not getting snow. I lived in N VA for 50 plus years. I know the feeling very well. But down here in south central Texas, I have gotten used to the climate here. I even enjoy watching outdoor soccer games in 100 degree weather, believe it or not, lol. I think it just may be possible, that I am turning into an old man.

It almost seems as if we are dealing with a forerunner of the Day After Tomorrow lol. Its 18 degrees, dewpoint 15, winds gusting out of the north at 35 mph at times. Its fairly chilly out. The sleet has changed to all snow. That frigid wind is gusting the snow right past our streetlight. Its supposed to get down in the single numbers tonight then struggle to reach the upper teens tomorrow. Not really sure whats going on down here. More freezing rain is forecast for Tuesday night or Wednesday. Roads are bad enough now, with fzdz on them then a layer of fine sleet then snow on top of that. I think I have a half inch of snow but its blowing around.

Mid Atlantic is going to get smashed by heavy snow soon enough. By the time this winter finally subsides in mid April, everyone will be craving spring. You guys on the Mid Atlantic are gonna get plenty of Siberian air before this is over, and far more snow than us Southerners lmao! And ice, and sleet, and high winds blowing so damn much snow that you'll get lost in your own back yard in Dale City!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jebman said:

Try the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I LOVED visiting that place so much, long happy beach jebwalks there.......

Love the outer banks. I think I mentioned in another post that we used to vacation in Buxton/Cape Hatteras most summers when we lived in Virginia. I'm not sure I'd ever want to actually purchase property there since it is so susceptible to hurricanes. But would definitely like to spend more time there.

1 hour ago, wawarriors4 said:

@Jebman enjoy this, lived in San Antonio for 5 year from 2004-2009, never imaged I see anything like this down in South Central Texas!

I have an inch on the ground now. Rather large aggregates mixing into the snow. Its 14 degrees with 11 degree dewpoints, 30 mph wind gusts, I think the wind chills are running about -2 to -8. Some of the snow is getting blown around. Its really hard to believe I am in Buda Texas and not in Dale City Virginia, or even in Upstate New York.

• Like 6

13 degrees now and pretty heavy snow. I went out there and just breathed in a deep deep breath of 14-degree snow filled air! Wow all the myriads of flakes in the outside lights! I think we just might be getting 2 inch per hour rates. At least 2 inches out there right now and really coming down, just blowing and blowing past the big light out in the field!

I really want the Mid Atlantic Region to get totally shellacked by huge HUGE snow aggregates, hour upon hour upon hour, in nice frigid conditions. I am sure you guys are gonna get hit hard soon and very soon.

• Like 6

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic