Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2021

George BM

46 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That's great. As much as I like the east, there is nothing like being out west. It's just gorgeous out there. Utah, Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming. My goodness. 

Agreed. In grad school a group of us drove out to Seattle to spend a couple of months at U of Washington. Utah was stunning. We didn't even have time to stop at any of the parks,  but the views from the highway were gorgeous. On the way back went through Montana and hit Yellowstone. Have to get out there again. Have also spent quite a bit of time in the Boulder area, but that was 30 years ago. Beautiful country but I hear the front range has become quite over-populated now, housing costs skyrocketing, traffic.

20 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Sounds like you live in a beautiful spot. I still enjoy the big snows (at this point, any snow) on the rare occasion it appears in southern FfxCo...just hate cleaning it up now. We're probably heading for one of the Carolinas or Florida in a couple years for a pre-retirement move. The beach will eventually win out.

We'd love to move to a warm beach area at some point. Used to vacation on Cape Hatteras when we were living down your way. Lake Ontario beaches just ain't the same! I know people living around Charleston SC and also Tybee Island GA and they love it down there. We'll see. Snow removal is definitely wearing on me, especially clearing the roof which is prone to serious ice dams when conditions are right. Old house, poorly insulated attic and lots of snow is not a great combination for an aging body!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 8:46 AM, WxWatcher007 said:

That's great. As much as I like the east, there is nothing like being out west. It's just gorgeous out there. Utah, Montana, Colorado, and Wyoming. My goodness. 

Don't leave out California Washington & Oregon.  Utah & Washington are my favorites for stunning beauty...Even though I ended up in the Oregon High Desert.

Any place west of the high plains is a different world than the east 

7th winter here and would never even consider living on the east coast again.  

Outdoor recreation is off the charts and summers are insanely beautiful.. unless you love all the rain, humidity & bugs then the east coast is your place. 

Come and visit.  The photo is from the trail near my home.

https://www.visitbend.com/

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Scraff said:

Can everyone hold back on weather talk for a sec. I’m busy working. It’s a rough life, but someone gotta do it!

B7117D87-F2A4-407F-9AD6-9A73D45C9444.jpeg

Yooooooo hook me up with some of that double promise, I'll give you a growler of my homebrewed oatmeal raisin brown.

19 minutes ago, Scuddz said:

Yooooooo hook me up with some of that double promise, I'll give you a growler of my homebrewed oatmeal raisin brown.

I only have one can. LOLz. I could easily hook you up with some samples though from my other breweries that I officially work with. Duclaw / Tall Tales / Ten Eyck / Charm City Mead Works. Seriously. Let me know! I’d love to try your beer! B)

4 minutes ago, Scraff said:

I only have one can. LOLz. I could easily hook you up with some samples though from my other breweries that I officially work with. Duclaw / Tall Tales / Ten Eyck / Charm City Mead Works. Seriously. Let me know! I’d love to try your beer! B)

My wife just saw the chocolate land release so I'm likely heading there myself later.  

9 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Same. You made an interesting comment yesterday, though, either in this thread or another...about being willing to trade your snow for tstorms. I couldn't tell if you meant you enjoy the snow more than severe wx, or the reverse...though I suspect you meant the former.

You've certainly had your share of severe thunderstorms, including nearby tornado threats, up your way in recent years...at times, I gauge when such storms are going to hit here in NoVA, based on your reports and others from Frederick area.

I meant trade snow for storms. Yes certain areas of Frederick have had severe storms and even tornadoes. I am not saying I want that, it is more of I want garden variety storms. I love the roll of thunder. My particular area in Frederick Co though does get split more often than others. I am closer to the Potomac and storms that come across at Point of Rocks seem to split quite often. I have many times seen a storm come into MD and get excited, only to watch it slip just to my N or S. We seem to do better when the storms are pushing down from PA and the MD panhandle than storms coming up from the SW in particular. 

But I am glad to hear that our reports up here help you. I became a spotter because of the lack of weather coverage we get up here sometimes. Growing up near Toledo, OH we had a very good weather group on the local stations. When I first moved here I was disappointed in the major local news weather reporting. As many times we would get hit with weather and there be no info until the said weather event made it into MoCo and close to Baltimore. I took the spotter class so that I could be a set of eyes on the ground up here and alert people I know. I even one time was called by the NWS in the middle of a particularly violent storm coming down from PA to help them confirm what they were seeing on radar so they could warn the storm. That was my proud weather moment.

I am not the most knowledgeable weather person when it comes to maps and outlooks. My dyslexia holds me back on that front. But I love being an observer and spotter. Dyslexics do better visually anyways. :grad:

• Like 4

With apologies to sounding banter-ish...

Current temp forecast for the greater beltway region have temperatures climbing above freezing Sunday into Sunday night and Monday. With all the potential sleet and ice laying around, along with the lack of any advection whatsoever at the surface, and all of that latent cooling due to melting of ice...

how on Earth are temperatures going to get above freezing during this time, at least for many areas away from the city? In-situ CAD is a real thing; we've observed it on countless occasions, and yet the guidance (once again) suggests surface temperatures will climb above freezing sooner than later. Falling for that scenario would be like believing that Lucy will not pull the football away this time around when Charlie Brown tries to kick it. Someone take me off the ledge at convince me that the Sunday night to Monday wave isn't additional light freezing rain or drizzle.

1 minute ago, WxMan1 said:

With apologies to sounding banter-ish...

Current temp forecast for the greater beltway region have temperatures climbing above freezing Sunday into Sunday night and Monday. With all the potential sleet and ice laying around, along with the lack of any advection whatsoever at the surface, and all of that latent cooling due to melting of ice...

how on Earth are temperatures going to get above freezing during this time, at least for many areas away from the city? In-situ CAD is a real thing; we've observed it on countless occasions, and yet the guidance suggests surface temperatures will climb above freezing sooner than later. Someone take me off the ledge at convince me that the Sunday night to Monday wave isn't additional light freezing rain or drizzle.

I think many here would look to you for guidance on that one :)

but history does agree with what you’ve posted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Wow Houston Texas forecast low of 12 degrees Sunday night with a storm watch out.  That’s gonna blow our seasonal lowest temp away.  SMH. 

Yup, and RIC has more snow than me this year. Hell, some places in Texas probably have more snow than me too. If this keeps up I'm going to just go ahead and plant some palmetto trees in my yard. If we can't have winter, might as well pretend to be tropical. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowfan said:

I think many here would look to you for guidance on that one :)

but history does agree with what you’ve posted.

We have a thread titled February 13, 2021 Ice Storm. I would be stoked if our FZRA or FDDZ threat didn't extend into Sunday or even Monday, at least for some areas away from the cities.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

we should start a contest guessing the first 70 degree day of the year.

The past two years, leaving aside the 70-degree days in January and February, 70's started showing up at DCA between March 7 and 14.  So 3-4 weeks from now.  In 2017, DC hit 80 on March 1.  The year before upper 70's by March 8.  Won't be long.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mattie g said:

It’s going to be a miserable week or so of weather, isn’t it?

I can no longer tell. Can't even hazard a guess. I don't know what everyone's expectations are. If it isn't 3 feet of snow its a disaster. Or if its 28 and rain its a different kind of disaster. Or maybe it will be 50 and rain and that's good for later, only it might be bad for later. And then Chuck wanders into the thread and types words. Its Schoedinger's week of weather. Or not. Who can tell anymore. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic