• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2021

George BM

We get the full gamut of precip types for next Tuesday in the LWX point forecast!  Everything but hail!  Now to be fair, at this point what else can you do, honestly?

Monday Night
A chance of snow before 1am, then snow, freezing rain, and sleet likely. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Tuesday
Rain, snow, freezing rain, and sleet. High near 34. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Two quick things for up this way:

1. The trees and pretty much everything else (chain link fences, sides of buildings, dogs who move too slow) are absolutely plastered in snow still. It is unbelievably gorgeous. Most of it fell here right around 32 degrees or just a hair under, and then it stayed crazy overcast today and temps held around 35 or under and everything is still plastered. I've rarely seen it quite this pretty up this way for this long. It looks like Vermont amongst the trees. 

2. On that note, trees and limbs are already bowing, at least one tree was down from the snow weight on my walk just now, and the temp isn't really going anywhere over the next 36 hours until the theoretical Saturday ice event. If it hangs on the trees like this until then and we actually get an ice event, there will be trees/limbs down and power line issues. 

Guessing even with cold temps tomorrow the sun will help head some of that off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dailylurker said:

If we're going to have boring a$$ freezing rain I hope it at least causes some destruction. What good is ice without crashing and booming. I hope people don't get hurt of course but I wouldn't mind some tree damage. Free firewood and I can charge to remove it. Let's face it. Most of us are here for extreme weather of any kind.

Indeed! I mean Bob Chill has been waiting for his foot of ice. For me an ice storm w/ at least one inch of ice accretion would be nice. Afterwards, hopefully we can score a legit areawide severe event and/or decent tropical event. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, George BM said:

Indeed! I mean Bob Chill has been waiting for his foot of ice. For me an ice storm w/ at least one inch of ice accretion would be nice. Afterwards, hopefully we can score a legit areawide severe event and/or decent tropical event. :)

Absolutely! I'll take destructive weather year round.

Glad the NAM came back around to the ice idea. Hopefully it's not some lame coating. I want to hear stuff smashing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ji said:
37 minutes ago, notvirga! said:
Ji I’m sure you noticed but not only does your Facebook weather page have lots of followers but it also has at least 1 spinoff Facebook group called “fans of jays wintery mix”. lol. 

Lol i actually post alot of 500mb maps on my page and nobody knows what they mean besides wow look at the nice colors. I even posted a sounding yesterday lol. And thats scary about the spinoff. I never wanted the page to get like that. It was originally for family and friends

you should start selling merch!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Something is and has been coming over last 10 days and for next 4. Models have not known what nor where and will not so neither do or will we. Looks like significant arctic plunge was a bust also even if two days for upper 20’s high upcoming A new method is desperately needed and I have the answer. 

:lmao: :lmao:

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

there's a notoriously named state park in northern KY ---- Big Bone Lick State Park.  If you didn't know that, you all are welcome. 

Also, the county in Ohio where I went to HS was Licking County.

You are welcome part two. 

I have become much smarter than i ever thought tonight. 

35 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

there's a notoriously named state park in northern KY ---- Big Bone Lick State Park.  If you didn't know that, you all are welcome. 

Also, the county in Ohio where I went to HS was Licking County.

You are welcome part two. 

I grew up in OH so know about Licking County. 

When driving out west two summers ago we made a point to get gas at the Kum and Go. Mr J even got a shirt. 

• Haha 2

Even down here in South Central Texas - its cold, highs in the low 30s about 30 degrees below normal with frzra.

Its really surreal to see trees down here frosted with ice! It was even more surreal tonight when I went outside on the damn deck and fell right on my ass from ice accretion! Fortunately, I did not get injured. My neighbor saw it because the porch light was on and she laughed her ass off. She was positively rollicking with laughter over the spectacle of me falling on my butt on ice so far removed from northerly climes here in South central Texas.

This is the second winter weather event this winter. We usually only get one, which is usually about a quarter inch of  sleet. The event on Jan 10 was 2 inches of wet snow. Today we ended up with an eighth of an inch of ice. That wind was brutal, wind chills to 14. I am not used to this like I used to be lol.

Normal temps are 61 for a high and 44 for a low.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic