Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

22 minutes ago, alexderiemer said:

Now who's Snowmaps will he copy and paste?

This storm is miserable for those of us this side of the bay. Looks like I get skunked on both waves. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear on the snow - hoping some rates and cold air still work in overnight for you all. This whole region is always on such a knife's edge with snowfall...

• Like 1

Disclaimer:

I ain't mad at anyone who got snow. 

I ain't happy that I missed on the snow.  Thats the difference.  I try to take most of the fails in stride and laugh them off.  What else can I do? Weather gonna weather. But this one sucked.  This isn't a plea for sympathy.  Just a little leeway if I go off the reservation and vent today.  Not reaped so don't get too excited @WxWatcher007  This is just me complaining to management about poor customer service.  I have been a loyal patron of winter for a long time(not giving my age, thank you @mappy :P ) and service this winter has been atrocious.  Lots of hot deals and BOGOs and so far its been all get home with the package only to open it up and see the beautiful dozen eggs smashed, loaf of bread smushed between the OJ and the sour cream spoiled CAUSE EFFING TEMPS AT ONE LEVEL ALWAYS GETS HOTTER THAN THE SURFACE OF THE GADDAMN SUN(leaving the misspelling).  Seriously.  Why do I keep shopping at the same shitty store?  Oh I know why.  Its the only store that serves snow. Snowmart seems to have better locations to the south, north, west and now east.  They suck in the DC area.  To get the good service I have to drive two damn hours in any direction. 

But its not like Tropicalmart is any better.  Whats great around here is Heatmart, Warmmart, AnythingbutSnowMart, 33andRainMart.  Sigh.  Now SnowAnusMart is making a push to enter the market.  Lack of precip means they are coming in dry.  

Wish things would change a little.  Thats all i ask.  boo effing hoo

/rant

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, GATECH said:

So did Baltimore get good snow?  Just want to confirm DC is the new snow anus of the mid Atlantic 

Its never been the new.  We've owned that mofo.  they thought they could take it from us and we just slapped them back into the 1800s when all they had was crabs and old bay. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, H2O said:

Disclaimer:

I ain't mad at anyone who got snow. 

I ain't happy that I missed on the snow.  Thats the difference.  I try to take most of the fails in stride and laugh them off.  What else can I do? Weather gonna weather. But this one sucked.  This isn't a plea for sympathy.  Just a little leeway if I go off the reservation and vent today.  Not reaped so don't get too excited @WxWatcher007  This is just me complaining to management about poor customer service.  <SNIP>

Wish things would change a little.  Thats all i ask.  boo effing hoo

/rant

I empathize with your pain. Writing was on the wall midday yesterday, though I held out hope when the show started with sleet last night. But I knew when I woke up today it would be all, womp-womp. I'm just kinda dead to the shutouts anymore.

But, to honor @WinterWxLuvr's request regarding pics-with-sticks earlier in the week, thought I'd include this -- sorry, it's definitely unofficial, as I forgot to get out the snowboard last night. Also of interest -- the remaining snow pack IMBY (lower left).

Currently 35/34...and in an act of cruelty, Mother Nature just started mixing in a few mangled flakes with the drizzle.

PXL_20210211_125043896.PORTRAITa.jpg.6534979901fd3a67ff0081cf6a2eba4f.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Its maddening that (EURO_ensemble-3")*2/3 has provided a reasonable 24-hour snow fall forecast for College Park - 3 storms running.  

The operational has provided similar results.  Guess its the Euro cold-bias at work. 

Of course, the ensemble mean should never be used for a forecast.  At short range, use the operational forecast; at long range use the ensemble median ... and sigh adjust for your local climatology

download.thumb.png.73382b500fce46c54386eff41863390a.png

The story of the winter has been the boundary/surface temps in DC.  Even a few days ago, we were supposed to be in the 20s with snow falling.  I'm still at 33 degrees with white rain. 

I'd be skeptical of the upcoming "historic ice storm" since I would lean towards another bust on temps.  DC should easily be at climo by now with the events we've had -- the temps just have been terrible.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, nj2va said:

The story of the winter has been the boundary/surface temps in DC.  Even a few days ago, we were supposed to be in the 20s with snow falling.  I'm still at 33 degrees with white rain. 

I'd be skeptical of the upcoming "historic ice storm" since I would lean towards another bust on temps.  DC should easily be at climo by now with the events we've had -- the temps just have been terrible.

Was just talking to a buddy about this.  When does Saturday go from 28 and sleet and Ice to 31-32 non event for us close into DC metro?   

18 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I’m not even sure the issue was boundary temps in the city. There was simply a N-S gradient to the temps from 2m on up during the best QPF that screwed those of us on the southern edge of the precip.

I’m not about all the reaping stuff (sorry, Watcher), but I’ve decided to not get invested in anything else this winter until the precip has started, and even then I’ll be wary of what’s coming (f’ing Correlation Coefficient radar - miserable POS). I’ll track and post, but I vow not to looks for any eggs, let alone put them into any baskets.

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Yeah that is a killer esp there. You are right, this was initially advertised as a colder event.

Maybe one day we will again see snow fall when there is some legit cold air in place.

• Sad 1

A question for the smarter people in the room.  During this upcoming "cold" outbreak, why isn't there a response to 850s?  Looping Hour 60 through 132 on the GFS, 850's are never below zero for a lot on the forum.  We have had storms this year come at us from the SW this year where 850's have been fine but the surface is terrible.  Why the switch now when there is actual surface cold?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question.

3 minutes ago, LP08 said:

A question for the smarter people in the room.  During this upcoming "cold" outbreak, why isn't there a response to 850s?  Looping Hour 60 through 132 on the GFS, 850's are never below zero for a lot on the forum.  We have had storms this year come at us from the SW this year where 850's have been fine but the surface is terrible.  Why the switch now when there is actual surface cold?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Because the atmosphere will do whatever it takes to avoid giving certain areas snow?  If the 850s are good, then surface will be bad.  If the surface is good, then 850s will be bad.  If 850s and surface are both good, then there will be a “warm nose” at 950 (or 750).  

Sorry for the non-scientific answer but I am a bit jaded this morning.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic