Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2021

George BM

16 minutes ago, H2O said:

I'd shorten it to 24 hours.  Thats when we've seen the bottom fall out

This is what gets me the worst this year... We've seen plenty of 48-72h trend fails over the years... but this year takes the cake of ripping my heart out within 24h. I was conditioned to wait until inside-36h to start feeling good but this year has shattered all that. Thats why I'm just not buying this one. I am going to expect this to keep trending S until I finally complete my Baltimore snow hole. Its looking good to the N, but to the S is lacking a bit. If this storm comes through for me and drops 6-8" of powder from Rt. 50-south, the great AACo Snow Hole of 2021 will be glorious.

The 00z Sunday NAM had my house at 3" within 9hours of precip onset. I ended up with a slushy half inch. Maybe it wasn't quite in its "wheelhouse" yet.

1 minute ago, caviman2201 said:

This is what gets me the worst this year... We've seen plenty of 48-72h trend fails over the years... but this year takes the cake of ripping my heart out within 24h. I was conditioned to wait until inside-36h to start feeling good but this year has shattered all that. Thats why I'm just not buying this one. I am going to expect this to keep trending S until I finally complete my Baltimore snow hole. Its looking good to the N, but to the S is lacking a bit. If this storm comes through for me and drops 6-8" of powder from Rt. 50-south, the great AACo Snow Hole of 2021 will be glorious.

Your comparison in the other thread was instructive - and the dry air horseshoe style "bite" toward balt city on even the good models is what has my attention...really riding a line here for our area up to PSU. 

4 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Your comparison in the other thread was instructive - and the dry air horseshoe style "bite" toward balt city on even the good models is what has my attention...really riding a line here for our area up to PSU. 

The cold is the issue. It's too cold. Pressing down and drying our precip up. Of course, I sit better than you do overall for the season, so its easy for me to say "its not big deal, snow is snow and I'll take what I can get"

But I get why you're not happy with it, so I hope it works out for you. I would be willing to forgo any snow in my area, if it means you see 5"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mappy said:

I hear you. A few years ago I would be gnashing teeth along with the rest of them over those rug pulls. I've since learned that its just snow and who cares. so much other more important stuff in life to fret over. 

But that's just me, and I probably should ease up with people about it. 

I'm not sure whether it's the comparison of "there are worse things to fret over" that works, or the comparison of "there are better things to look forward to". See I think some of us, snow=happiness, however temporary (i.e. till the snow melts, lol) it is. That the snow is so necessary that the months of Jan and Feb can't possibly be good without it--that could be the thinking. I've had plenty of moments when a storm didn't work out where it felt absolutely empty the day it didn't happen...it's terrible, and a waste of emotion, but...it was there!

So yes, there are much worse things that can happen in life...but maybe the positive comparison--i.e. that these months can still be good anyway--is another way...

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm not sure whether it's the comparison of "there are worse things to fret over" that works, or the comparison of "there are better things to look forward to". See I think some of us, snow=happiness, however temporary (i.e. till the snow melts, lol) it is. That the snow is so necessary that the months of Jan and Feb can't possibly be good without it--that could be the thinking. I've had plenty of moments when a storm didn't work out where it felt absolutely empty the day it didn't happen...it's terrible, and a waste of emotion, but...it was there!

So yes, there are much worse things that can happen in life...but maybe the positive comparison--i.e. that these months can still be good anyway--is another way...

i personally don't feel empty when a threat doesn't work out. so i can't relate in that regard. but i get why some are feeling so hopeless when it comes to snow. as much as i say "its just snow", its easy for me to say that because I've adjusted my attitude towards it over the years. I need to do better not to beat people while they are down. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mappy said:

The cold is the issue. It's too cold. Pressing down and drying our precip up. Of course, I sit better than you do overall for the season, so its easy for me to say "its not big deal, snow is snow and I'll take what I can get"

But I get why you're not happy with it, so I hope it works out for you. I would be willing to forgo any snow in my area, if it means you see 5"

That's definitely the issue. And you are the kindest poster on here. Or close to it. @Mrs.J in the running too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Man, the board really rallied to curb stomp you just now. I haven’t seen that much unity since some poor sap tried to insult federal employees.  I think they ended up in the glue factory Randy was talking about a few days ago.

:lol: 

Ha! Eh I deserved it honestly, it was a bad post. At least I distracted everyone for a few minutes. Sometimes it takes a villain to help everyone vent at:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, H2O said:

So I don't get any love for being a kind poster?  All these maps and funny pics and gross ass food vids and crickets?  I'm hurt.  really, really hurt.  Might need to leave

They don't even know how many bunnies you save either and how much time you spend sending other people your snow. I'm kind of surprised myself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

They don't even know how many bunnies you save either and how much time you spend sending other people your snow. I'm kind of surprised myself. 

i don't like to brag about the bunnies or helping the old ladies cross the road.  But the snow sacrifice should be recognized.  I went all out last year and most other years so that the area highlighted on my map gets the most snow.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm not sure whether it's the comparison of "there are worse things to fret over" that works, or the comparison of "there are better things to look forward to". See I think some of us, snow=happiness, however temporary (i.e. till the snow melts, lol) it is. That the snow is so necessary that the months of Jan and Feb can't possibly be good without it--that could be the thinking. I've had plenty of moments when a storm didn't work out where it felt absolutely empty the day it didn't happen...it's terrible, and a waste of emotion, but...it was there!

So yes, there are much worse things that can happen in life...but maybe the positive comparison--i.e. that these months can still be good anyway--is another way...

I hear/feel what you're saying here and I often used to feel that way. USED to. I started sniffing around here to learn/watch/listen over a decade ago...actually just before the big back-to-back storms in February ten years ago this week. I used to get so pissed when snow didn't work out for my neck of the woods...which was before I learned to understand my climo a lot better. I learned to accept that snow-to-rain events (and often, flat-out shutouts) are a fact of winter life in southeastern FfxCo, and just appreciate whatever we get whenever it comes. We've had a few good hits over the years...but generally the northern crew enjoys those on a far more regular basis.  Learning the whole model-watch drill is fun...but I also know that I'm not often going to get warning level snow where I live. And that's fine. Accepting that helps me forgo the the needless emotion that can be poured into this hobby.

6 minutes ago, H2O said:

It does need to be said but @mappy is really one of if not the best people on this board.  She does care about people and friends and has a passion for weather and it shows.  Happy she is a part of our forum.

youre just saying that because i'm like the only other person who doesn't hate nickelback

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

youre just saying that because i'm like the only other person who doesn't hate nickelback

It was actually to make up for the pic this morning with the old lady.  But the Nickelback thing  works too!!!  And strawberries with sugar

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I hear/feel what you're saying here and I often used to feel that way. USED to. I started sniffing around here to learn/watch/listen over a decade ago...actually just before the big back-to-back storms in February ten years ago this week. I used to get so pissed when snow didn't work out for my neck of the woods...which was before I learned to understand my climo a lot better. I learned to accept that snow-to-rain events (and often, flat-out shutouts) are a fact of winter life in southeastern FfxCo, and just appreciate whatever we get whenever it comes. We've had a few good hits over the years...but generally the northern crew enjoys those on a far more regular basis.  Learning the whole model-watch drill is fun...but I also know that I'm not often going to get warning level snow where I live. And that's fine. Accepting that helps me forgo the the needless emotion that can be poured into this hobby.

I've found that the low expectations route doesn't always work...not for me, at least. Perhaps it does for others, but...no snow is still no snow...and close misses are close misses...I have learned to appreciate the smaller events too, though--in light of our previous misses. But where I am, we are just close enough to always be in the game...despite the results being a toss-up. So it still can feel bad even with lower expectations (but maybe not as bad, perhaps...). One thing that helps is stepping away from this board when things aren't going well. An echo chamber of disappointment can eat your psyche alive, lol

• Like 1

I think the thing that actually bogs me down more than lack of substantial snow, is lack of real cold. I LOVE winter so much, it's my serenity. 

You give me a winter that has some downright bitter cold stretches, where I can take my hikes on days where highs struggle to get out of the 20s and I can see my breath and hear the crunchy frozen ground beneath my shoes, and visit the river that is at least somewhat frozen and I'll be so happy. 

Winters like this kill me though. So many days with highs in the 40s. The snow events I have gotten have been dinky little events where melting occurs pretty quick. The lack of substantial snow along with no bitter cold stretches at all just hurts. 

We have 3 months(some might argue 2) of the year that can get true blasts of cold weather and when we can't even get it then, it's a real downer for me. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic