Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter 2021

George BM

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I don't think it will be that high...but up here higher ratios in general are common and I don't think the 11-1 it would take to make .55 qpf a 6" snowstorm is unrealistic even given the less ideal DGZ representation.  But this is getting REALLY REALLY REALLY nitpicky for a UK run.  So maybe they should have said 5-10" instead of 6-10 lol.  

I did say "basically".;) It's all good!

4 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

My wife has been buying a new-to-us brand of Greek yogurt called Siggi's -- key lime is damn good, as well as their vanilla/cinnamon mixed berry flavors. It's pretty thick, though.

havent tried siggi's yet. ill see if i can get some next grocery trip. 

12 minutes ago, snowfan said:

Banana cream pie is far superior to key lime pie. Don’t @ me. 

I love Banana cream and Coconut cream too. I am equal opportunity. :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I can't get from Coney Island Whitefish to key lime pie no matter how hard I try.  I think I'll just skip eating today.

Whitefish is good too. And with my new eating style much healthier if not fried. :D

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

There is some support in the data that for DC and Baltimore the odds and frequency of BIG snowstorms is increasing but the frequency of just snow in general is declining.  That makes perfect sense actually.  More big storms increases the odds we catch some of them by chance.  But a little bit of warming is going to hurt us more often with a lot of the typical marginal snow events that were common in DC and Baltimore.  When I did my every warning event at BWI case study a few years ago...when it came to the 5-10" type events it was a VAST majority that were near 32 degrees and featured some mixing.  This kind of a data tagline was VERY common.... a 6" storm from 1.1 qpf with a high that day of 35 and a low of 31.  I mean...you can figure out from that what kind of storm that was...and what happens if you add say 2 degrees to that exact event?  

Wow, that's interesting, and something I've been thinking about ever since that winter over ten years ago. Do you have a link to that study by chance? 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

local micro climates will always affect things.  but if the overall base state is warmer from UHI or other larger scale factors then that worked 20-30 years ago isn't as good anymore.  Thats why I argue that classic storms don't always work out like they used to.  We need more to break in our favor for a larger part of the area.

This is why moving to New York was so jarring for me. It felt so easy for it to snow. Of course being in the city had its own downsides but overall it was way more net positive. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic