• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2021

George BM

Well, good night all. Must work in the AM. I can’t remember the last time we were 7 hours from an event in the immediate metro with temps in the low to mid 40s dews already in the mid 20s and it working out, but we will see. Here’s to dynamics, rates and dramatically coolong columns. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

The main thread has been pretty awful imo with negative, doom,gloom,not happening , shit posts . I mostly stayed out of it and worked in my garage on my Grand National.  I'll take any snow lol. Hopefully that Baltimore guy will chill out and just enjoy what he gets . 

Had the guidance trended better today it would have been good. Yesterday was awesome and the thread was a weenie fest. Today the guidance was one nut punch after another and so the thread got negative. There is a correlation. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Had the guidance trended better today it would have been good. Yesterday was awesome and the thread was a weenie fest. Today the guidance was one nut punch after another and so the thread got negative. There is a correlation. 

I’ve noticed a correlation to weekend posting too. Seems workday posts are better lol

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

In this case tho, the storm didnt even really exist in anyone's mind just what, 2 days before the big hit runs? Went from zero to 100 now pulling back to 60. I understand bumming out its not a max potential outcome because potential was there. But potential for no storm or something in between is sandwiched on both sides of the big runs. The largest solution always becomes the benchmark for success with every storm here. And because the largest rarely pan out in reality, every single event becomes very "unfun" no matter what happens

There is a lot of truth here...but I think there was a moment yesterday when thinking a 6-10” storm was likely wasn’t a weenie overreaction.  Just look at what some red tags were saying!   That wasn’t the max run either. There were a couple NAM runs that showed 12-16”. At a point yesterday when all guidance was indicating 6”+ was very likely and things were steadily trending the right way I think setting a bar of a 6” storm was realistic.  

For some (me) it’s not that easy to just go into “oh well at least it will snow” mode. Maybe that’s because I’m a big storm chaser not a snow chaser. And by big storm it doesn’t have to be 20”.  That 3” squall I had last winter was awesome. That was memorable. 6” in 4 hours is memorable.   This is just me, and I know most don’t agree and that’s cool, but I could care less about a 2” storm. Yea while it’s happening I’ll enjoy it some and it’s fine but I don’t track for that. Frankly I would rather a winter where I got 10” all in one storm then a winter with 30” that all fell 1-3” at a time. That’s a whole lot of blah to me. But I don’t begrudge anyone enjoying the crap out of 1” of snow. Good for them!

I do think a couple were going too far with the debbing. Some were making it even worse then it was. I felt like all I was doing was analyzing the runs same as I always do only since they were bad the observations were “it’s bad”. 

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

There is a lot of truth here...but I think there was a moment yesterday when thinking a 6-10” storm was likely wasn’t a weenie overreaction.  Just look at what some red tags were saying!   That wasn’t the max run either. There were a couple NAM runs that showed 12-16”. At a point yesterday when all guidance was indicating 6”+ was very likely and things were steadily trending the right way I think setting a bar of a 6” storm was realistic.  

For some (me) it’s not that easy to just go into “oh well at least it will snow” mode. Maybe that’s because I’m a big storm chaser not a snow chaser. And by big storm it doesn’t have to be 20”.  That 3” squall I had last winter was awesome. That was memorable. 6” in 4 hours is memorable.   This is just me, and I know most don’t agree and that’s cool, but I could care less about a 2” storm. Yea while it’s happening I’ll enjoy it some and it’s fine but I don’t track for that. Frankly I would rather a winter where I got 10” all in one storm then a winter with 30” that all fell 1-3” at a time. That’s a whole lot of blah to me. But I don’t begrudge anyone enjoying the crap out of 1” of snow. Good for them!

I do think a couple were going too far with the debbing. Some were making it even worse then it was. I felt like all I was doing was analyzing the runs same as I always do only since they were bad the observations were “it’s bad”. 

I still don’t get how I was just “debbing” when I was just saying how each model run was getting drier when they were...when we all know we need the rates. And apparently temps are an issue for some of us. But whatevs 

10 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Imo this isn’t a case of Ji freaking out over some day 7 solution trending 10 miles the wrong way.  In the last 24 hours we went from this...
with red tags discussing crazy fgen bands with thunder snow and 2” hr rates and possible 10” jackpots being likely to...

And praying we can get enough rates to accumulate and hang on to a few inches.  

Yesterday we were legitimately on the cusp of a significant area wide 6-10” snowstorm and no that wasn’t some pipe dream that people were foolish to believe was possible.  All guidance was heading that way and trending towards an amplified storm. Then it got pulled out from under us the last 24 hours.  I actually think, given how gut wrenching the trends have been the last 24 hours given we were on the verge of a truly memorable event and now it looks very anemic and ordinary...the lack of freak outs and complaining has been admirable. Even Ji hasn’t blown up the thread at all.  

PSU, I appreciate you and your knowledge, but I honestly do not care that models reduced qpf. I honestly do not care that it won’t snow 6-10. Snow is snow and however little I get is fine with me. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

Final call map below 

Made significant changes based on latest trends in guidance. Hopefully they revert back a bit and screw over my map. Still a nice storm for some. The metros may never accumulate one inch due to UHI hell. Don't feel like writing a synopsis this evening. I'm tired and have a few things to do tonight. I'll check in after the 00z NAM runs and the HREF starts populating. 

1222513445_MASnowForecast2-6-21.thumb.png.d8f711e06dd3178e3cdb167c64f095af.png

So much better! The base map makes a huge improvement! Nicely done friend. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m making chili this afternoon for the game and it’s taking all of my energy not to open this bag of Fritos to go with my coffee.

Us too! Mr Map started it last night, all I can do not to eat it for breakfast with my coffee :lol:

• Like 2

Just now, wxtrix said:

lol at getting angry when faced with a simple wx-related fact.

I’m not angry at all. You’ve just always escalated things to essentially insulting someone’s knowledge when they say something non-scientific. It gets really old.

I know what I said was anecdotal. I don’t need you to tell me that.

9 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Do you have to be a jerk about it?

Hey man, you decided to grab a hammer and drive a bent nail into the board with rain talk. Cherry picking panels and telling others they were going to fail hard. I pointed out why your point didnt make any sense with real analysis but you kept going and so did I and here we are

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Hey man, you decided to grab a hammer and drive a bent nail into the board with rain talk. Cherry picking panels and telling others they were going to fail hard. I pointed out why your point didnt make any sense with real analysis but you kept going and so did I and here we are

So you want to get your point across by rubbing in my face again?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic