Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter 2021

George BM

1 minute ago, leesburg 04 said:

Pretty cool how some can't post without adding the words problem or but...it's simply ingrained in their fingers. The Baltimore guy on the other hand seems like a nice dude but has a negative tone for the most part. Believe it or not there is a way to deliver bad news without coming off always negative...I'm sure some don't even know that's how they are but some do.;)

I dont have a problem with this post but....

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Pretty cool how some can't post without adding the words problem or but...it's simply ingrained in their fingers. The Baltimore guy on the other hand seems like a nice dude but has a negative tone for the most part. Believe it or not there is a way to deliver bad news without coming off always negative...I'm sure some don't even know that's how they are but some do.;)

Yes, exactly. I always give him a hard time but its tongue and cheek. He does seem like a nice guy and I do understand his location is really bad for snow but his message is a consistent negativity and it is with every event bar none.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Yes, exactly. I always give him a hard time but its tongue and cheek. He does seem like a nice guy and I do understand his location is really bad for snow but his message is a consistent negativity and it is with every event bar none.

Well, and today he happened to be posting a lot during a dead time in the thread, so it was like he was talking to himself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

In any in person social scenes anywhere in your life, a wet blanket or room air letter outter gets abandoned fairly quickly. Social media wet blankets have staying power. Lots of it,

• Like 3

i'm definitely just glad to see snow...it'll be a good start to super bowl sunday. 

re long range tracking/model hugging...getting too emotionally involved with long range tracking is like getting too emotionally involved with whether your favorite sports team is winning or not.  watching sports is fun, but i'd rather learn about it and/or play it.  it becomes more fruitful.  same with tracking storms...tracking just for the entertainment portion of it is fine (nothing inherently wrong with that), but if you're getting upset about each model run, then you're using it to quell your own fears as opposed to something that can enrich you.  (2 cents)

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Now comes the time when someone has made a stand and they will go down fighting trying to prove their point. This is what makes this not as enjoyable...1" to 6" who cares...it's going to snow.

The older I get, the more I accept unknowns in wx. Even in the very short range. You dont have to know everything in advance to have a good time in life. Sounds easy but hard to stay in that lane, but I spend more time in that lane than anywhere else lately. Only took me 15 years :lol::lol:

ETA: I'm sure you have a problem with this post but.... IDFC

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The older I get, the more I accept unknowns in wx. Even in the very short range. You dont have to know everything in advance to have a good time in life. Sounds easy but hard to stay in that lane, but I spend more time in that lane than anywhere else lately. Only took me 15 years :lol::lol:

You have an impressive variety of minced oaths.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Lol I'm trying to figure out why you put an estimated time of arrival 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

The older I get, the more I accept unknowns in wx. Even in the very short range. You dont have to know everything in advance to have a good time in life. Sounds easy but hard to stay in that lane but I spend more time in that lane than anywhere else lately. Only took me 15 years :lol::lol:

i actually never viewed you as one that got too emotionally attached to every model run.  you were clearly in it to learn.  you can probably just sit back and chill now because you know a lot lol, but i agree with your general sentiment that there are more productive ways to spend time than living/dying with each model run.  i don't think that's the way to go about things, though obviously there'll be some attachment to a forecast that you want to happen.  i really should learn more about meteorology...my degree is in math, i enjoy math and have even been brushing up on topics lately to shake off the rust, but for some reason i just never went the met route (though somewhat considering grad school lately).  that said, i've been doing more passive learning of topics...like why is the 250mb jet important, etc., as questions come up about a storm.

It’s gonna snow, usual caveats apply, game time obs will tell, banding will determine who gets the best rates and snow, impossible to predict, lots of little details, models will come into agreement soon, gotta keep expectations in check, lots can change, just happy to be in the game, looks good for a general trace - 8”, just take what falls and be happy.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

But it is true that some people's keyboard puke is better than other's!!

Back in my drinking days I was a heavyweight. Not like a plastered fool or anything like that. I could just easily handle a lot more than most. So when I did rarely puke once in a blue, I knew I got it done right. Same with keyboard puke. If I look at a post and say "damn that is one LONG ASS PILE OF PUKE", I know it's done right too.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, 87storms said:

i actually never viewed you as one that got too emotionally attached to every model run.  you were clearly in it to learn.  you can probably just sit back and chill now because you know a lot lol, but i agree with your general sentiment that there are more productive ways to spend time than living/dying with each model run.  i don't think that's the way to go about things, though obviously there'll be some attachment to a forecast that you want to happen.  i really should learn more about meteorology...my degree is in math, i enjoy math and have even been brushing up on topics lately to shake off the rust, but for some reason i just never went the met route (though somewhat considering grad school lately).  that said, i've been doing more passive learning of topics...like why is the 250mb jet important, etc., as questions come up about a storm.

I wasted a lot of time man. Looking back it's a bit shameful (to me personally). I'm always ambitious and striving for something. Very goal oriented with little fear of failure. But I chose to use these strengths the wrong way for far too long. Stay in the nice balanced lane of fun, recreation, and a side order or learning. Trust me. If you want to dig deep and go for something, make sure there is a payoff. 12" of snow after 3 years and 7k hours of staring at countless models is not a payoff. It's a punishment

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I want a @mappy grading of my map from a map creation standpoint, and a use of PowerPoint standpoint :lol:

Not a bad map overall, obviously I love your guess for my local. The underlying basemaps was a little hard to see, I’d probably pick a basemap that has more white undertones then the gray, white shows up better through transparency, like just counties with outlines. Good choice of  font. Color choices were good too. Couple places where your boundaries don’t snap to the next but easily overlooked

8/10 just because I had to zoom to see where my house was on the basemap :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I wasted a lot of time man. Looking back it's a bit shameful (to me personally). I'm always ambitious and striving for something. Very goal oriented with little fear of failure. But I chose to use these strengths the wrong way for far too long. Stay in the nice balanced lane of fun, recreation, and a side order or learning. Trust me. If you want to dig deep and go for something, make sure there is a payoff. 12" of snow after 3 years and 7k hours of staring at countless models is not a payoff. It's a punishment

eh, i hear ya, but i wouldn't look at it too much like that.  there are worse ways that people waste time/energy and even money, but sounds like you found an appropriate middle ground.

agreed re that balanced lane.  while it's always nice to have a career vs just a job, there's something to be said about having a job that allows you to dive into hobbies on the side or even part-time work/volunteering.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mappy said:

Not a bad map overall, obviously I love your guess for my local. The underlying basemaps was a little hard to see, I’d probably pick a basemap that has more white undertones then the gray, white shows up better through transparency, like just counties with outlines. Good choice of  font. Color choices were good too. Couple places where your boundaries don’t snap to the next but easily overlooked

8/10 just because I had to zoom to see where my house was on the basemap :) 

I'll take an 8/10 everyday in a short time frame. Been doing better with the PPT map creation. Got the hang of things over course of trial and error. Gonna try to look for a better basemap. If you have any suggestions, feel free to give me a PM.

Appreciate the critique! :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I'll take an 8/10 everyday in a short time frame. Been doing better with the PPT map creation. Got the hang of things over course of trial and error. Gonna try to look for a better basemap. If you have any suggestions, feel free to give me a PM.

Appreciate the critique! :)

Keep it simple. Seriously, you can’t go wrong with county outlines and nothing else. When you add in roads and names it just adds noise to them. Most know where they are from a county outline. The main point of the map are the categories so the basemap shouldn’t overshadow that. Level of hierarchy visually. It’s not the worst I’ve seen so high five!! 

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic