• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Banter 2021

George BM

Ha! It really was awesome. I made quite a few that summer, even one for a meteor shower that was happening. Also, my first or second night (I was there for both her newscasts) there was some bad severe weather, tornado warnings. It was crazy to watch what happens behind what we see on tv. Little alarms going off, a printer printing out warning text, trying to do radar and polygons and all that. I sat in the corner out of the way while her and Barry(?) were juggling it all. 

Seriously best summer gig ever

• Like 2

Random homeowner question that maybe someone here knows the answer to.  This summer I had plumbing run out into my yard for an outdoor shower.  I had the pipes buried around 2 feet deep.  I of course shut off the supply of water before it got down to freezing.  I know in colder climates people use compressed air to completely empty pipes of any water that run outside.  Is that something I need to do?  I've never had any plumbing that went exterior before...

5 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Random homeowner question that maybe someone here knows the answer to.  This summer I had plumbing run out into my yard for an outdoor shower.  I had the pipes buried around 2 feet deep.  I of course shut off the supply of water before it got down to freezing.  I know in colder climates people use compressed air to completely empty pipes of any water that run outside.  Is that something I need to do?  I've never had any plumbing that went exterior before...

At two feet no way. You’re never gonna freeze to two feet in DC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

N.Md and Pa plumbers usually stay 30 ". A safe bet . I'd think 24" in DC is sufficient 99% of the time .

Maybe only 3" these days :ph34r:

25 minutes ago, H2O said:

Frost line is 18” so you should be under that. If you have an air compressor it couldn’t hurt but that’s just a precaution

25 minutes ago, H2O said:

Frost line is 18” so you should be under that. If you have an air compressor it couldn’t hurt but that’s just a precaution

And I don’t have to worry about water left in the vertical pipes that go above ground that form the actual shower?  I left the shower valve open so that if those pipes started to freeze it would maybe push any extra water out the shower head.  

44 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

And I don’t have to worry about water left in the vertical pipes that go above ground that form the actual shower?  I left the shower valve open so that if those pipes started to freeze it would maybe push any extra water out the shower head.  

I have mixed feelings on that one. I understand give the ice room to move theory but you also are letting frigid air into the pipe that way. There’s probably little water in the vertical section. You could always put some pipe insulation around that part.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

out to hour 6 on the GFS...looks like a beatdown/step back/slightly amped and more on the southern end of more north

there is a poster that says every run is a beatdown....and then you look at the run...and its like...what? i think its the dude from winchester smh

• Haha 1

So we have Stormtracker as an administrator and Mappy as a moderator.  I also think we have one admin and one mod in my home SE thread.  So is this site organized so that there is one of each for each regional form?  You'd think I'd know this after hanging out here so long.

3 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

So we have Stormtracker as an administrator and Mappy as a moderator.  I also think we have one admin and one mod in my home SE thread.  So is this site organized so that there is one of each for each regional form?  You'd think I'd know this after hanging out here so long.

Actually the admin thing was totally by chance.  There is one in every forum, except NYC and West.   Used to have one in Philly.   We have at least 3 mods in every subforum. 

1 hour ago, caviman2201 said:

Maybe we flatlanders can get one this year... it wouldn't be the worst thing ever for it to not be a fall line special

But what did you do to deserve the snow?  You live somewhere (assuming your location is accurate) that is like the snow anus of the region but you are like 15 miles away from places that get a LOT more snow then you....that seems like a level of apathy undeserving of snow.  I drive over an HOUR to and from work EVERYDAY just for those 3-4 times a year I might be lucky enough to get more snow.  That is devotion!  fanaticism.  I earn the snow.  You choose to live somewhere that gets barely any snow while being a relative stones throw away from places that get a lot more then complain when climo happens???  

I am kidding of course...and greatly exaggerating...but there is some nugget of truth to this.  I know I would be unhappy and frustrated wrt snowfall living in and around Baltimore...so I moved up here and commute.  And frankly I would rather, and probably will someday, move somewhere that gets even more snow then here.  But I choose to live here so I don't complain about my climo.  I accept that I don't get 100 inches a year like I want because I choose to live somewhere that doesn't get that much snow.  Hopefully someday I will move to Colorado or northern NH where there is snow on the ground 5 months a year and I won't have to struggle to get snow (and yes even up here in a normal year snow is a struggle just less of one then where you are but I go plenty of winter months without any snow sometimes).  So that first part was in jest...but at the same time I do kind of not understand people that choose to live somewhere with a median snowfall of like 10" and then act unhappy when they don't get much snow most years.  My boss is one of those people...lives right on the bay east of Baltimore and is always upset that I get so much more snow...but stubbornly refuses to move west of town even though there is really nothing keeping him from doing so...it would even be closer to his job to commute from Reisterstown then where he does.  

ETA: I am not rooting against you. I always want to see both DC/Balt and myself get crushed.  My favorite storms are when we are all puking snow and can share in it.  That is why often when I am getting snow and I know the majority in here are not I go silent.  I don't want to rub it in.  What I said up there is not some kind of "give me all the snow and screw you lowlanders" thing.  I truly hope we all get a ton of snow in the next 2 weeks.  But climo is climo.  There is a reason I average 40" and DC averages 14".  And those reasons will always exist in every situation.  I know...I didn't always live up here, I lived down near DC and constantly watched this area get all the snow...so I moved up here lol.  

Just now, Cobalt said:

Day 3-7, February 7 threat, Day 7+. Lot of sevens, I don't blame him. 

Yea I liked the idea of separate threads and I do think its worth it...but the naming system is kinda AAAAHHHH.  I was thinking like...Short range, medium Range, Long range or something like that.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea I liked the idea of separate threads and I do think its worth it...but the naming system is kinda AAAAHHHH.  I was thinking like...Short range, medium Range, Long range or something like that.  

you're welcome to let me know what is considered short, medium and long range and I'd be happy to update how the threads are named instead of making snide comments about it. :) 

6 minutes ago, mappy said:

you're welcome to let me know what is considered short, medium and long range and I'd be happy to update how the threads are named instead of making snide comments about it. :) 

I vote Short, Shorter, Shortest.

No need to thank me. I do my best to help out.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic