Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Discobs 2021

George BM

38 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The source for me is almost completely on the back side of my property, and is maybe an acre of area at its most expansive, so as long as I do the work in early Spring, I can pretty much mitigate an awful summer of skeeters. It usually dries up by early summer.  Last year I did get the late summer tiger bastards, but that was a function of the incredible above normal wet period we had east of I-95.

I wish I'd saved the image someone posted late last year. The difference in how far above average areas east of I-95 and how far below average areas west of I-95 were wrt rainfall was very stark. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baldereagle said:

We have had some wet years but right now it’s immensely saturated.

Been finding ticks on the barn cats all winter.

Mud season returns next week !

1 hour ago, baldereagle said:

Truly, it has been mud season non-stop here on the Eastern Shore since this past June...

We board my daughters pony at my friends farm in VA. Mud has been horrible this year. Dry lot when you walk in better be sure your muck boots fit well or you might loose them. And shedding started last week and expect that to pick up in the next few weeks. 

6 minutes ago, The Ole Bucket said:

Aside from the days when it has snowed.. this is the best morning of the winter. Sleet is a glacier (though patchy), the ground is rock-solid frozen, everything is iced over and it’s sunny.

30F but also fairly windy. A quite fine day.

I totally agree. I wish there was cold powder blowing off the rooftops but this is pretty nice.

27 and bright blue skies.

Bottomed out last night at 25 degrees. Was 26 an hour ago, now a creep up to 30. Giant plates of ice on street where runoff has frozen. Anyone cruising through here at speed is an idiot. Light/Dark cloudy skies, moody looking. Shoveled driveway to clear space last night  to take trash bins out. Cleared off cars. And of course there was black ice at the bottom of the driveway. Trash got picked up, but I'm waiting for the street glaciers to thaw before retrieving the bins.

8 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I totally agree. I wish there was cold powder blowing off the rooftops but this is pretty nice.

27 and bright blue skies.

Given that the snow this year has been quickly attacked by the dreaded sun angle.. it’s been nice to sleet hold up. I’ve come around on that sleet bomb. It was ugly when it came down but now it’s done well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

Last year I did get the late summer tiger bastards

Excellent descriptor.Those are the most maddening of all, so elusive of the hand.

Anyone ever been attacked by one of those huge skeeters with a body around an inch long and equipped with a massive dagger? It sounds like a hornet when it homes in on one’s intoxicating bloodscent......visual heat sensors their guide....

Both kinds land, strike with lightning speed and escape before you can swear. This wet and pretty mild winter promises plenty of insects.

• Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic