Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

I asked because it snowed at a good clip for a few hours after 2 am. Also the 1.5 I measured at 5 PM on Monday was very light snow. The 16. 75 I measured on Tuesday morning was quite a bit heavier. And the top layer of snow was certainly a wetter and heavier snow than the lower layers of snow. Perhaps it it possible your measurement was impacted by compression of the snow as the snow got heavier and wetter.  

I had 1-3" new on my driveway Tuesday AM, but I wasn't sure what was drifting and what wasn't....I called it an inch. I do know that we got at least 2" less than Wilmington because I measured 17" depth there before I drove home and measured the 15".

3 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Final snowfall totals for Feb 1-2 2021 blizzard. Made a couple new county graphics, because why not. All reports taken from here, PNS, Cocorahs and the NWS 72hr snowfall map. Most of the state ended up right in the range of 10-18" of the final call forecast with one report of +18" (19 in Danbury) and a small hole over southern Tolland and Windham counties of 6-10". 

Positive

• General 10-18" statewide verified
  • Highest amounts in Fairfield county as noted by the text in the final call graphic
  • Some mixing in SE CT as noted in the text in the final call graphic as well as lower end of the range

Negative

• Small 6-10 hole over NE CT was not forecast

Overall very happy with how everything went with the forecast, couldn't really ask for much better.

Grade: A-

02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.1ba3c8d0e4090cbab9daade46ce43d23.jpg01_30.21_jdj_snowfall_forecast_2.thumb.jpg.e4d3fb26d501c3e5dd8bd0084a2e38e3.jpg

02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_new_haven.thumb.jpg.34b336eea5a315a2380211ab99cf73a6.jpg02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_fairfield.thumb.jpg.680aa8f611fdd916a00c0d6caad50faf.jpg

02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_town_by_town.thumb.jpg.7443c9de64287d0272f48c5f62b13862.jpg

maptexttownbytown.thumb.JPG.76ad18b2e0393defd24e5563be020b41.JPG

Nice job. I Like the new colors and detail by county, etc.

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nice job. I Like the new colors and detail by county, etc.

Thank you. Yeah i used to just use all shades of blue but it got very hard to see the towns when the colors got really dark. I figured i would parallel the colors that the NWS uses, more or less. Its easier on the eyes and makes more sense.

The color gradient is generally (example): 0 white, T-2 light blue (sub advisory lvl), 2-4 blue (advisory), 4-8 yellow (low end warning) 8-12 orange (warning), 12-18 redish pink (amounts 10+, major), 18-24 purple (amounts over 15 historic/major), green 24-40+ (extreme, rare)

This is Mar 2018, an example of why i changed the colors after the blue shade...03_08.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.5d50eb39a3f5a53868a5f7dbb736e57b.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Final snowfall totals for Feb 1-2 2021 blizzard. Made a couple new county graphics, because why not. All reports taken from here, PNS, Cocorahs and the NWS 72hr snowfall map. Most of the state ended up right in the range of 10-18" of the final call forecast with one report of +18" (19 in Danbury) and a small hole over southern Tolland and Windham counties of 6-10". 

Positive

• General 10-18" statewide verified
  • Highest amounts in Fairfield county as noted by the text in the final call graphic
  • Some mixing in SE CT as noted in the text in the final call graphic as well as lower end of the range

Negative

• Small 6-10 hole over NE CT was not forecast

Overall very happy with how everything went with the forecast, couldn't really ask for much better.

Grade: A-

02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.1ba3c8d0e4090cbab9daade46ce43d23.jpg01_30.21_jdj_snowfall_forecast_2.thumb.jpg.e4d3fb26d501c3e5dd8bd0084a2e38e3.jpg

02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_new_haven.thumb.jpg.34b336eea5a315a2380211ab99cf73a6.jpg02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_fairfield.thumb.jpg.680aa8f611fdd916a00c0d6caad50faf.jpg

02_02.21_jdj_snowfall_totals_town_by_town.thumb.jpg.7443c9de64287d0272f48c5f62b13862.jpg

maptexttownbytown.thumb.JPG.76ad18b2e0393defd24e5563be020b41.JPG

Nice Job Dylan

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Were not actually setting the world ablaze up here on snow this season either, We've missed out on anything significant, I'm pretty far down Kevins snow list.    lol

Yup.  I'm still a few tenths behind Lava Rock but at least not outside the top 25 like in December.  Maine seems to lag behind its climo in most of the years that Kevin W has run the snow table.  Don't think we had any sleet here, just rimed flakes that made for 2" of dense [3-4 to 1] stuff 7A-1P) before we saw real flakes.  Should be good groomer food, might take the dog out to see if the local club's machine is still sitting dead on our woodlot.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Yup.  I'm still a few tenths behind Lava Rock but at least not outside the top 25 like in December.  Maine seems to lag behind its climo in most of the years that Kevin W has run the snow table.  Don't think we had any sleet here, just rimed flakes that made for 2" of dense [3-4 to 1] stuff 7A-1P) before we saw real flakes.  Should be good groomer food, might take the dog out to see if the local club's machine is still sitting dead on our woodlot.

I'm usually in the top 10, Sitting well outside of it, No offense to anyone, But when you have several from CT and MA ahead of you, It tells the tale, I would have thought the club would have retrieved it by now unless it was really recent, I'm heading to Eustis Saturday over to Jackman.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

I'm usually in the top 10, Sitting well outside of it, No offense to anyone, But when you have several from CT and MA ahead of you, It tells the tale, I would have thought the club would have retrieved it by now unless it was really recent, I'm heading to Eustis Saturday over to Jackman.

It was Tuesday of last week when I met our groomer-operator neighbor riding his sled out for lunch after several hours of trying to fix the tranny on the old Gilbert tractor.

Going up Coburn on the way by?

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

It was Tuesday of last week when I met our groomer-operator neighbor riding his sled out for lunch after several hours of trying to fix the tranny on the old Gilbert tractor.

Going up Coburn on the way by?

Yes, We will be around the base of Coburn Mtn just skirting the Forks, Been up to the top of Coburn Mtn several times,  Not this trip though as we will be pressed for time on this 220 mi+ loop, Its very scenic on a clear day as well as rimed pretty heavy @3,700'+

Coburn.jpg

19 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The CoCoRaHS site up the street from me is sitting at 103.8" right now. 

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yes, We will be around the base of Coburn Mtn just skirting the Forks, Been up to the top of Coburn Mtn several times,  Not this trip though as we will be pressed for time on this 220 mi+ loop, Its very scenic on a clear day as well as rimed pretty heavy @3,700'+

Coburn.jpg

Nice pic.  Shows the existing powerline R-O-W on the Johnson Mt/West Forks town line where NECEC would run before turning south (thru the W. Forks public lot.)

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I'm my yearly avg short of that at 33.9"  lol

Definitely been a ground zero screw zone in your backyard this winter.

Didn't even cash in on that mid-December weenie band event that seemed to hit some of the CNE zones that have been otherwise kinda porked.

Worm may not be able to turn if he's dead at this point. LOL

Just now, PhineasC said:

Didn't even cash in on that mid-December weenie band event that seemed to hit some of the CNE zones that have been otherwise kinda porked.

I've kind of written it off for here, But i don't mind as i'll be heading to the western Maine Mtn the rest of this winter, Don't mind the traveling.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Didn't cash in but nearly 5 times what fell just 40 miles north.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Thank you. Yeah i used to just use all shades of blue but it got very hard to see the towns when the colors got really dark. I figured i would parallel the colors that the NWS uses, more or less. Its easier on the eyes and makes more sense.

The color gradient is generally (example): 0 white, T-2 light blue (sub advisory lvl), 2-4 blue (advisory), 4-8 yellow (low end warning) 8-12 orange (warning), 12-18 redish pink (amounts 10+, major), 18-24 purple (amounts over 15 historic/major), green 24-40+ (extreme, rare)

This is Mar 2018, an example of why i changed the colors after the blue shade...03_08.18_snow_totals.thumb.jpg.5d50eb39a3f5a53868a5f7dbb736e57b.jpg

Yea I remember us giving you feedback on the colors. Lets get a purple to green event before seasons end...requesting for a friend.

• Haha 1