Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes...TBH, by NE MA standards, I still missed out to Wilmington area in Methuen...you just aren't hearing about bc I was in Wilmington most of the event. Some of the more seasoned mets and vets were trying to tell me I was going to get smoked by the CF, and I said no...will be se of me in Wilmington.  Exactly what happen. They beat me by 4".

Lol couple tenths of precip

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

You did get hit hard by the CF even in Methuen. I guess it’s all relative. 

Yeah the CF was basically right there just to his east. In this case, I think being a little further south was better for being into higher QPF so that is why places like Wilmington, Lowell, Littleton, Bedford, etc ended up doing a little better. It was a matter of slightly more precip from the firehose. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the CF was basically right there just to his east. In this case, I think being a little further south was better for being into higher QPF so that is why places like Wilmington, Lowell, Littleton, Bedford, etc ended up doing a little better. It was a matter of slightly more precip from the firehose. 

Gotcha. I ended up shoveling the second half of night,  so wasn't glued to comp. Makes sense why KASH got porked, as they missed best firehose and CF

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Gotcha. I ended up shoveling the second half of night,  so wasn't glued to comp. Makes sense why KASH got porked, as they missed best firehose and CF

Yep...ASH was sucking on a little bit of exhaust from the CF enhancement to their east and the firehose wasn’t quite strong enough up at that latitude to overcome it. They still did ok, but relative min in the area. 

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

For living on the coastal plain, One would think i would see more of it but i don't, This is the most i think i've seen in recent memory.

I think your latitude makes it tough bc you need the mid level warmth for that, which often gets washed out s of you in SWFE and such.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Let's please put to bed this crap that you need a 36 hr event to get big totals. This event is a perfect illustration...this SLOW mover has consisted of 10-12  of all hell breaking loose, and another 12 hrs of flurries. This is not a complaint whatsoever...loved the event, but big totals are achieved via several hours of intense dynamics, not 48 hours of impact.

I think the “ days and days” thing is just a fetish for a lot of folks.

If anyone still believes you need a long duration event for big totals, they just need to look at just about every high end event we’ve had in the last 5-6 years as evidence that their position is wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Several, yea... just frustrating bc that area has beaten me in every, single major event since I moved lol

Epic storm for the NE probably a 3/4 on Nesis. The blizzard conditions here with East winds caking east and se sides of trees for a couple of hours was a new experience. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep...ASH was sucking on a little bit of exhaust from the CF enhancement to their east and the firehose wasn’t quite strong enough up at that latitude to overcome it. They still did ok, but relative min in the area. 

I would have lost it if I lived there....12/17 and last night.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think the “ days and days” thing is just a fetish for a lot of folks.

If anyone still believes you need a long duration event for big totals, they just need to look at just about every high end event we’ve had in the last 5-6 years as evidence that their position is wrong.

Days and days refers to snow in the air not when the big numbers occur. We have had several events with 4 to 5 every day for a couple of days though.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think you latitude makes it tough bc you need the mid level warmth for that, which often gets washed out s of you in SWFE and such.

Being 20 mi inland from the coast, At times, The CF will make it here so it ends up a brief period of IP then a switch to RN, This has been prolonged, And as i speak it just flipped to mainly snow

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

How did NYC, BWI and DC do?

Saw 17+ for NYC but the others probably 2-4.  The good stuff began in central Jersey.

Very little in the air since 4, will soon go out to clear the driveway.  Have not measured since 7 AM but would guess we're 7-8" by now.  The tiny flakes shifted abruptly to quarters and half dollars a bitt after 1 PM though still just moderate rate.  Lots prettier, though.  After 30 minutes of that we went back to the little fellas.  Winds gusting into the 20s blowing snow off the roof but not moving much along the ground.

40 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Okay, if you have a depth of 18" right now, then you had 20.5". That makes sense from my Wilmington measurements, as the depth when I left was 17" at 1am. 

I have a current depth of 14" in Methuen, and had a 16.5" snowfall.

Ya, it certainly could have been 20.5 earlier this morning. The only time I actually measured was the 18. Great storm everything is still caked here beautiful outside.