Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

Just now, wxsniss said:

Anyone have ideas why the accumulations were so comparatively poor in Boston metro compared to places like Taunton?
Boston surface temps were 33-34F almost entire event, not so different.
Just slightly less intensity?

Boston, Especially Logan International, is right on the water and Taunton is actually a decent way inland from the waters edge. In tight situations like this, Placement from the immediate waters edge is everything even at almost exact temperatures.

3 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Anyone have ideas why the accumulations were so comparatively poor in Boston metro compared to places like Taunton?

Would have to imagine proximity to the ocean & the influence of those easterly winds off of the water. If you were on the water all along the north/south shore you were toast.

3 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

I think a bit more intensity there and also NE winds are removed from the water down there compared to near downtown. It’s different out your way because NE winds don’t have a direct water component. There was a clear longitudinal component to this. When it is cold just off the deck, it helps to be removed from the warmth of conduction that SSTs have on the air. This allows the air to wet bulb more efficiently. I had this happen back in the November 2018 event. We had light ESE winds that gave Boston no snow. Meanwhile I had 5.5”. ESE winds for me are off the land for awhile. 

• Like 1