Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

Just now, The 4 Seasons said:

how much do you in the drifts at a 45 degree angle?

just kiddin, what you at now?

Lol, ballpark of 17, give or take. Grains aren't really accumulating at this point.  I'm surprised you're not higher. How much did you pick up in that first big band around lunch? I pulled almost 4" between 12:30 and 1:30.

10 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Nope I measured it correctly, the NWS had a little blip on the south coast of Harwich in their official snow map of over 30"

It must be like the movie Poltergeist where it only precipitated  over your house in Harwich like that. 

• Haha 1

Just now, White Rain said:

Living in Salem during that one, Epic storm. Im not sure who measured the 36” but it was legit. Fools storm in 97’ was more fun overall though, the 05’ storm was fluff. 

36" in Salem was legit...I went Salem State shortly after to visit a friend...unreal.

1 minute ago, White Rain said:

Living in Salem during that one, Epic storm. Im not sure who measured the 36” but it was legit. Fools storm in 97’ was more fun overall though, the 05’ storm was fluff. 

The Salem, Mass amount officially was 38". Definitely legit. One of the official jacks.

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

1.35 acres partially wooded. 

My wife thinks that since we are on a slope the snow blows off somehow.

It's odd cause in Norwalk it was always the opposite. Always the highest.  

The wind certainly compacted this and If you have a sloped lawn, it can peel more off. I don’t think this will be ‘the one’ we’ve been hunting anyway but most of wct should be in the 14-18” range with some lucky 20” lolis. Even if you think you are low you’re still within range. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, White Rain said:

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

2005 more impressive in Boston than 1978??

Total snowfall yes, intensity no.   I was only 10 for the 78 storm so not as dialed in. 

2005 had multiple reports out of Cambridge and Somerville of 30" +   78 had bigger drifts though.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm sure it was. I was on the Cape after the storm and nothing has rivaled it since. Just incredible what they had. 

They did have a lot of drifting though down there, that can become very tough to get an accurate measurement, that I can understand.