Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Criteria has always been under 1/4SM. But with automated ASOS sites without augmentation it’s damn near impossible to get obs of M1/4SM. A lot of the old manned 0SM, 1/16SM, and 1/8SM obs are seen as 1/4SM by the ASOS now.

I'm trying to think if I've ever seen an unaugmented ASOS report M1/4SM. I can think of MHT and PSM, but both of those are augmented the majority of the day.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Also I think you need 4 hourly obs to get the 3 hours inclusive...not sure. BDR is manned today too, but I’m not sure if they augment vis obs.

Maybe  @OceanStWx  knows how GYX goes about verifying it.

Usually you can tell from the SPECI when it either got the VIS or wind criteria, so as long as that hits ~ 3 hours we're not going to kill ourselves over a few minutes. 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Roads went to crap fast in Tyngsboro 

495 was striped last night by DPW cruise ... but in this sting cold and with wind ...  not sure what the m.o. plan of management is -

It's a durational event

I had a feeling we may observe some posting content that "sounds" like they know it's through Tuesday but planning for an 8 to 10 hour ordeal - umm. lol.   Years of previous season's fast mover behavior ...might influence.  But folks, 12z Tuesday the heights bottom out and the low is just SE of ISP or on ISP.  Now ... typically, that circumstance is like Homer in hell strapped to a donut stuffing machine, only in this case ... snow, and a climate CCB band runs west down the Pike like Ray ahead Super Troopers...  Even if not ...this dies a slow death.  

I wouldn't at all be surprised if some people unexpectedly awoke tomorrow with a 'tenting' issue around some cars. Where?  I dunno - in principle though, that happens... not shocked.

This is busting positive in my opinion - didn't have the balls to pull the trigger personally.. But if the range was/is 12 to 18 .. I would go with a range of 18.  Not sure I buy those deep snow holes E of Alb and west of the Worc hills... Dent it? ...okay..

I don't think we have grid/power concerns with wind fracturing pow-pow not sticking ... And wind alone west of the CF probably is forgettable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1