Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/31 - 2/2 Obs. / Nowcast

TheSnowman

Just now, Sey-Mour Snow said:

why wouldn't they? Has that changed?

Criteria has always been under 1/4SM. But with automated ASOS sites without augmentation it’s damn near impossible to get obs of M1/4SM. A lot of the old manned 0SM, 1/16SM, and 1/8SM obs are seen as 1/4SM by the ASOS now.

Seems per Will's rad up there ...this band along and immediately N astride rt poop has materialized over the last hour. We were 'fuzzy' at 1.5 mi vis for a couple hours and then this materialized ahead of the band we've been tracking which is still S of here.  There's even a relative lull between - interesting

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Criteria has always been under 1/4SM. But with automated ASOS sites without augmentation it’s damn near impossible to get obs of M1/4SM. A lot of the old manned 0SM, 1/16SM, and 1/8SM obs are seen as 1/4SM by the ASOS now.

Oh I see, hard to imagine with 40mph winds and heavy snow it wasn't under 1/4SM.

Just now, dendrite said:

Also I think you need 4 hourly obs to get the 3 hours inclusive...not sure. BDR is manned today too, but I’m not sure if they augment vis obs.

Maybe  @OceanStWx  knows how GYX goes about verifying it.

• Like 1

Just now, dendrite said:

Also I think you need 4 hourly obs to get the 3 hours inclusive...not sure. BDR is manned today too, but I’m not sure if they augment vis obs.

Maybe  @OceanStWx  knows how GYX goes about verifying it.

This is from 2018 and it looks like 1/4SM is fine and yea 4 hourly obs would be a 3 hour window so that makes sense.

https://www.weather.gov/okx/Blizzard_Jan42018

• Like 1