• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 6-7 storm?

Snowstorms

New Euro and EPS will be key tonight. UKMET not a total dud like other globals with implied 1-3" from just under 1/10" to some spots a bit over 1/10" liquid equivalent across the CWA. Figure ratios of at least 15:1 are attainable with a very deep DGZ and previous NAM runs also had steep mid-upper lapse rates. Even though the 12km NAM backed off on QPF, its simulated reflectivity still looked pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Euro is even drier than 18z run 
WeatherBell weenie vision still fluffs it up to 1-3", looks like that's still doable as long as we get snow out of this wave and the DGZ is very deep. If the meso models hold with a better event through tomorrow, then can put more stock in them.

All things considered, a pretty ridiculous difference between the HRRR/RAP and the other models for being 36-48 hours out.  You almost have to think there will end up being some kind of comprimise, even if it's 70/30 or 80/20 or something.  Hard to imagine one of these camps completely nailing it at this point.

9 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Huge run. 6-10”+ across chi metro as that area sits in the pivot with an 8-10 hour window of a ~10kft DGZ depth. 

LOT has a hell of a forecast on their hands.  That is a solid winter storm watch/warning type of event but of course there is no way anybody is pulling the trigger on that at this point.  I am almost tempted to wait for the 6z NAM.  

Just now, Hoosier said:

LOT has a hell of a forecast on their hands.  That is a solid winter storm watch/warning type of event but of course there is no way anybody is pulling the trigger on that at this point.  I am almost tempted to wait for the 6z NAM.  

I’m doing the same and early guess is it trends more favorably. It’s subtle but has a slightly better look at 30hr WRT phase/more pronounced low across the central plains.   

5 hours ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Just cherry picking the 3z RAP and a sounding up this way, you get a very deep DGZ/isothermal layer. If this were true you’re probably talking close to if not 20:1 ratios. 

Just poked through that 06Z HRRR run, wow. Pretty much ideal for at least 20:1 - light winds, lift in the DGZ (which is 9k-10k feet thick!) and 700-500mb lapse rates 6.5-7.5. 

06Z NAM frontogenesis at both 700 & 850mb would also imply a swath of heavy snow across IA into far S WI, N half of IL/IN and S 1/3rd MI. 

• Like 2

Been trying to reel this one in based on weenie sref members so nice to have rap and hrrr support. :weenie:

still feel ok about my call but it would be nice to gain some better support. Globals seems to get more zzzz each time I peek 

Nest looks reasonable enuff and hits close to on the nose

6 minutes ago, Baum said:

this pattern gonna snow when models scream no snow.

probably more a comment for monday and beyond, most models show snow saturday night, globals are just a DAB-2 as opposed to a major

I'd call the 6z GEFS are marginal improvement, hoping 12z runs bring the goods

Obviously you can't really take the hhr at hour 50 very seriously but if you extrapolate the 6z run, you  would think the totals west in illinois/ind would translate eastward into michigan. Sub 999 low intensifying. Its pretty wild how much the models are struggling with this setup. Perhaps alot of the energy is originating in the nw, in Canada. Usually models struggle with canadian energy. The early next week threat looked like the bigger potential, now this one is trying to take its place, pretty much 48 hrs out. 

• Like 1

I think there's upside potential above our official 1-2, locally 3" forecast, for reasons that have been discussed (high SLR, steep lapse rates, low and mid-level f-gen). Now that the HRRR has gotten more realistic, the 06z NAM runs probably represent a reasonable best case scenario for now. Good to hear the Euro bumped QPF on 06z run.

2 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

I'd take that HRRR run all day. Low gets cranking as it over CLE and is a great hit for the SEMI crew. Feeling optimistic with this one. Felt good for the last storm too and it played out how I thought it would. Bring it

First call: 5"

Having a hard time buying the forcing lasting into eastern MI. Most guidance has an energy transfer to the coast which is why the snowfall amounts should gradually taper from what IA/NE see.