• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 31-February 2, 2021 Major Winter Storm Observations

Ralph Wiggum

Did see the sun attempt to show a few times the past hour but it has also been quickly clouding over, so it never full came out and was behind hazy clouds.

Finally got out to measure on the board (and a few other flat spots) and got 10" (compacted underneath) almost on the nose.  I carved out a portion of snow from the board to look at layers and found a 1/2" layer of sleet pellets with a semi-solid thin layer above that of what I expect is compacted snow from the FZRA that was part of the "mix" (at one point, all FZRA) before the snow came back in earnest and smooshed it. 

So on top of the initial 4.5" on Sunday, I literally picked up at least 5.5" from about 2 pm yesterday (Monday) afternoon when the snow started up again after a 14 hour sleet fest, where the snow continued through Monday night (which was probably the heaviest) and into early this morning.   I forget to take the funnel and inner tube out of the Stratus so I can do a water content from it and don't feel like trying to traipse through the snow to get to it to do a "core" sample for water content, but I know the last "significant" (if you can call it that) snow we had back in December, I had calculated an approx. 6:1 ratio IIRC, and am noticing this is a bit "wetter" than even that snow.

Currently have some on and off mood flakes and 33.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mattinpa said:

Yes. It was supposed to be deposited Jan 4, but went to a closed account. Finally saw it coming but the mail wasn’t there. The only bad thing about this storm. 

Seeing yet more sun come through. 35 degrees. 

Man, that sucks. From what I read online the mail method seems to take forever or they screw it up. Hopefully yours comes soon.

35F / stray flurries

Springtown, PA 31.2", highest I've seen so far. I'm sure there are more 30+ which I haven't seen...

• Like 1

My mail is horrible, only get delivery maybe 3 days a week. Many of my bill have arrived after the due date. Yes, I have some automatically withdrawn, but I like reviewing my cc bills to make sure I'm not being incorrectly charged.

Back to weather, nice snow shower atm, 34F.

2 hours ago, GilmoreWaters said:

Getting a marathon pimp slapping up in Poconos  around Jack Frost/Big Boulder.

52 straight hours of snow, still snowing .  Wrap around banding  continues to  hound  the area  from the NE.

The heavy snow bands  didnt make it this far north but  a consistent 1/2" hour rate for 2 + days. 

Closing in on 2 feet. 

Nothing wrong with your post but if you're going with a Pink Floyd reference as your screen name it's David Gilmour...

34F / flurries 

• Weenie 1

Snow picked up again and went from mood flakes back to varying between SN- and SN.  Temp is up to 34 so some melting going, plus the sun is trying to break through the clouds but not quite there yet.  There have been undulating breaks in radar-indicated precip but stuff still continues to generally fly from the sky. The little band over the area has shifted from a N --> S orientation to a NNW --> SSE flow as it slowly pivots.

radar28-02022021.png

kdix_20210202_1901_BR_0.5.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LVwxHistorian said:

Nazareth, PA is reporting 35.5" which if accurate would be the biggest ever in the Valley, including 1830's storms

Awesome. We have 1/3 of that here in eastern MontCo lol. I moved here from southern Indiana in 2015. Grew up with snow and cold but we don't get 2-3 day events like this in the midwest very often. I got to experience Jonas in 2016, but been waiting for my next 2fter ever since! 

1 hour ago, Dodsworth said:

Awesome. We have 1/3 of that here in eastern MontCo lol. I moved here from southern Indiana in 2015. Grew up with snow and cold but we don't get 2-3 day events like this in the midwest very often. I got to experience Jonas in 2016, but been waiting for my next 2fter ever since! 

You are about 4 or 5 miles from me as a note (I bought my current car at a dealer on the Fairway) and since you recently moved here, then you missed 1996 (which was a multi-day event but one that bulls-eyed this area like this storm did further north of here). :lol:

After I had cleared off a chunk of my board, despite the somewhat marginal temps, I did get about 1/10" of a dusting that survived and the on and off flakes have pretty much ended (outside of possible flurries that might pop up here and there), so will call the  event 10.1".  Temp still sitting at 34 with dp 30, and mostly cloudy.

3 hours ago, famartin said:

Ended up with 10" in Ewing. Liquid 1.62". Imagine if that was all snow and didn't include an inch or two of sleet.

Ended around 10.5" in Hopewell. You guys really caught up last night down there. We got an additional fluffy inch but most of today's fell lighter than compaction/melting rate. Ok storm, but like you said though the sleet really hurt totals and prevented this from being a "classic" around here. Can't wait to get my Davis up here so that I can get LE in events like this, I'm super curious what it'd be here. Guessing pretty similar. 

17.5" now on the season, going to need another 2 solid events to hit normal so hopefully Feb lives up to the hype... 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, weathernut85 said:

Same here in West Philly, snowing again sufficiently enough to re-coat the cars and sidewalks. 

Holy crap! I just looked out and yes, some more pieces of the bands have wrapped back around over here too and people who had cleared off their cars have them completely sugar-coated again.  And it's currently snow here - SN- but definitely there and pretty steady.  Looks like a heavier snow blob developed over here between 6:30pm - 7:30pm.  The storm that keeps on giving.  There's a broad circulation wrapping bands around PA that is pretty fascinating and the coastal continues to meander due east.

Currently light snow and 30.

radar37a-02022021.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lady Di said:

I’m so happy you did well.  For once. 

and just when I was pulling for the mild February and early spring that was predicted because of circumstance, all heck breaks loose because of a SSW event and here I go down a February 2014 repeat ay caramba!