• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 31-February 2, 2021 Major Winter Storm Observations

Ralph Wiggum

Continues to snow steadily here in NW Chesco with another 1.5" between 8pm and 10pm. Storm total now at 13.1" including our 2nd straight daily snow record. The 4.3" yesterday broke the old record of 3.5" set back in 1898 while the 8.8" so far today breaks the old mark of 8.0" set on this date in 1934

20" as of 10:45 

Moderate snow and 30F

4th storm for me of 20" 

make that the 5th there was that strange thunderstorm snowstorm in I believe it was March 1987 that dumped 2' of snow in the early morning hours in what

must have been insane rates I slept through every flake. 

Looks like about 1.5-2" over the last 3 hours or so. Still a steady light snow currently. Gotta believe we're into double digits now. Will be very interesting to see Mt.Holly's totals update. Looks like modeling has another .4-.5 qpf before it's over so assuming we're at about 10" I'd say final totals should be 12-16" along the 130 corridor in Burlington county

24.1” in Hellertown. Made it to two feet at last! For me, this is the largest snowstorm that I’ve measured. Unfortunately, I wasn’t at home for the 2016 blizzard, so I never had a chance to measure that beast. I didn’t live in PA in ‘96, and all the other blizzard I’ve gone through never made it to two feet. What a storm! (but ongoing!)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Definitely tapering off but still snowing. 22.5" and 31.8°F here. I can't get over how awesome my back deck looks with almost 2' of snow on it. Super glad I decided to leave the string of lights up.

IMG_20210201_230617.jpg

Where in the Reading area? I'm very familiar with the area.

8 minutes ago, JSharp said:

Strange.....I noticed that the temperatures have actually risen over the past few hours. It was much colder when it was sleeting here.  What is causing that? Chadds Ford, PA.

I think it's because earlier our temps were influenced by the low coming over from the Ohio River Valley. Now we're under the influence of the coastal low. I'm up in Muhlenberg, across the river from the airport.

• Thanks 1

I just noticed that we haven't seen a plow come by since around 3pm. Before that we had the big one come by several times and a smaller pickup once or twice. They're probably all being pressed into service on the major roads at the moment. Glad my jobsite cancelled work again tomorrow since I probably won't be able to get out without a lot of digging even after they plow.

Also in retrospect, I wish I had set up a camera on the back deck for time-lapse. I'll definitely do that next time.

Still snowing, lighter but still decent. Might break 2' before all is said and done. This is our first winter in Reading and the wife and I are loving this. (Her a little bit less so since she works from home lol.) One for the books, and the storm we'll use for comparison for many years to come.

I do feel bad that many of us weren't able to cash in on the snow totals this time around and I understand there's a bit of anger and disappointment to be had. It happens, and I've been in the same boat more times than I care to remember. And I'm sure at some point I'll get fringed again while others put up big numbers. But for now, this has turned into an instant winter classic that we'll be talking about for a long time.

Cheers and goodnight everyone.

16 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

I just noticed that we haven't seen a plow come by since around 3pm. Before that we had the big one come by several times and a smaller pickup once or twice. They're probably all being pressed into service on the major roads at the moment. Glad my jobsite cancelled work again tomorrow since I probably won't be able to get out without a lot of digging even after they plow.

Also in retrospect, I wish I had set up a camera on the back deck for time-lapse. I'll definitely do that next time.

Still snowing, lighter but still decent. Might break 2' before all is said and done. This is our first winter in Reading and the wife and I are loving this. (Her a little bit less so since she works from home lol.) One for the books, and the storm we'll use for comparison for many years to come.

I do feel bad that many of us weren't able to cash in on the snow totals this time around and I understand there's a bit of anger and disappointment to be had. It happens, and I've been in the same boat more times than I care to remember. And I'm sure at some point I'll get fringed again while others put up big numbers. But for now, this has turned into an instant winter classic that we'll be talking about for a long time.

Cheers and goodnight everyone.

I’m glad you and others got some amazing snow!! Here in Newtown, we certainly didn’t get the hoped for snow amounts. Still, reading this forum the week leading up to the storm and the anticipation was a tremendous amount of fun. Also, we did get a lot of sleet, and I had never seen such a prolonged sleet event with such high precipitation.  I loved being part of this snow event.  As for the snow, maybe next time the snow gods will smile on my area:) 

Radar eroding a bit near Trenton so not sure how long we hold the band but probably our biggest flakes of the storm here as we’re finally getting some better dendritic growth. Moderate snow falling currently. Definitely wasn’t expecting another band like this tonight I thought we’d be done until the next round kicks up later tomorrow morning

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Snow has not stopped here in Warminster. Had another heavy batch roll thru over the past 90 mins. We are closing in on 12" now. 12k NAM has an additional 2-5" here in Bucks today. Wouldn't be shocked to see that verify. Radar has more backbuilding into the area.

Nice..looks like a storm total of 5 inches here. What a bust on my street

26 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Snow has not stopped here in Warminster. Had another heavy batch roll thru over the past 90 mins. We are closing in on 12" now. 12k NAM has an additional 2-5" here in Bucks today. Wouldn't be shocked to see that verify. Radar has more backbuilding into the area.

Damn my dad is up near warminster near Davisville/street. Nice hit

• Like 1

Something made up for it overnight but I had to have had another 4" overnight and it's still going. There is a narrow diffuse "band" across the city that is producing bubbles of heavier rates, that is coming out of the NE.  The temp briefly tapped 32 about an hour ago but it has been hanging around 31 for the most part  overnight. Currently 31 with light snow and fog.

radar11-02022021.png