• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Obs and nowcast Major Nor'easter near blizzard Sunday afternoon Jan 31 - Sunrise Wednesday Feb 3

wdrag

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

The map in much of Nassau and W Suffolk is low. Every recent report from this area was over 12” and it shows 8-12”. 

It's "interpolated" data and only uses official NWS measurements.  So all of western Suffolk County is represented by ISP which reported 11" and central Suffolk is represented by Upton which reported 14".  

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

You’re a trusted wealth of knowledge here, please see my post above from the NW thread, would you record the 17.7 or the 19.5 for the event?

I think there's a data point missing.  You had 13.6 on the "24-hour board" but did you take two measurements during that time that added up to 15"+?  If so, I'd go with the 19.5.  I've been measuring temp/precip at 9 PM since moving to northern Maine on 1/1/76 as my 5 AM wake-up precluded midnight obs.  Joining cocorahs in 2009 automatically meant 2 obs (at least) daily as I didn't care to corrupt 30+ years of data by measuring only at 7 AM. 
As for knowledge, I say that while I may know a lot, at least 1/3 of it is flat-out wrong and I don't know which third.  :o   One of my favorite sayings, that dates back to the Lincoln administration, is: "It ain't so much people being ignorant; it's them knowing things that ain't so."  (But thanks for your comment!)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

I think there's a data point missing.  You had 13.6 on the "24-hour board" but did you take two measurements during that time that added up to 15"+?  If so, I'd go with the 19.5.  I've been measuring temp/precip at 9 PM since moving to northern Maine on 1/1/76 as my 5 AM wake-up precluded midnight obs.  Joining cocorahs in 2009 automatically meant 2 obs (at least) daily as I didn't care to corrupt 30+ years of data by measuring only at 7 AM. 
As for knowledge, I say that while I may know a lot, at least 1/3 of it is flat-out wrong and I don't know which third.  :o   One of my favorite sayings, that dates back to the Lincoln administration, is: "It ain't so much people being ignorant; it's them knowing things that ain't so."  (But thanks for your comment!)

Yeah, there were a couple other posts I didn’t quote.  Long story short I had one board I only cleared once in 24 hours and another board that I cleared “close to” every 6 hours (I wasn’t getting up in the middle of the night to clear it and I was an hour late on one clearing yesterday afternoon).  It was just a little experiment for me.  The total of the board I cleared once a day was 17.7” and that’s the total going into my records.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Boston only ended with 1-2”. Yikes. Central Park about 4” above them for the winter now. 

Snow/drizzle here, temp 33. 

Wow. The models did a good job with that East wind into Boston. 

Final total here 17.5 and has not stopped snowing in 3 days! Thank you blocking 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Boston only ended with 1-2”. Yikes. Central Park about 4” above them for the winter now. 

Snow/drizzle here, temp 33. 

I live on Long Island but the Boston statement is a bit misleading. BOS is Logan which is basically in the ocean. All immediate suburbs did quite well. Cutofff was just insane within a 10 mile radius....

weatherstory.png?id=1612307019302

55 minutes ago, mikem81 said:

I live on Long Island but the Boston statement is a bit misleading. BOS is Logan which is basically in the ocean. All immediate suburbs did quite well. Cutofff was just insane within a 10 mile radius....

weatherstory.png?id=1612307019302

So Boston Logan is basically our version of jfk right on the water. That is one insane cutoff though can’t think of too many storms with that sharp of a cutoff say between jfk and cpk 

About a half inch so far from the current snow shower.  30F (Smithtown)

I was out and about and the roads are snow covered and slippery.  I was suprised how eager the anti-lock brakes were to engage and I was babying them. 

Lesson is...the ground was frozen before; 12 hours at 33 or 34 isn't going to keep things liquid on the roads once the sun goes down.

• Like 1