• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Obs and nowcast Major Nor'easter near blizzard Sunday afternoon Jan 31 - Sunrise Wednesday Feb 3

wdrag

20 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

No way Newton has 32 inches on the ground 

I have my doubts as well, BUT!! I can''t be sure.  I can tell you I'm confident of my 25...  I will post a CoCoRAHS summary - two day at 10AM.  That's what i would use as official.  NWS filters data as best it can in the hurried mode of posting the snowfall data, while doing many other duties, including answering phones. I have NOT seen PHI post 32", so it's a little dissapointing that it is out there.  Mendham, 30".  We know 25-30 up in these parts... You want some pix?  I went up and down my driveway with a snowblower 3x yesterday and will proceed again here at 8AM, but the road? Not yet plowed so i go nowhere.

2 minutes ago, wdrag said:

I have my doubts as well, BUT!! I can''t be sure.  I can tell you I'm confident of my 25...  I will post a CoCoRAHS summary - two day at 10AM.  That's what i would use as official.  NWS filters data as best it can in the hurried mode of posting the snowfall data, while doing many other duties, including answering phones. I have NOT seen PHI post 32", so it's a little dissapointing that it is out there.  Mendham, 30".  We know 25-30 up in these parts... You want some pix?  I went up and down my driveway with a snowblower 3x yesterday and will proceed again here at 8AM, but the road? Not yet plowed so i go nowhere.

I live in butler I have 22 on the ground but yes more actually fell , but I only report snow depth . Nick Stefano who I am good friends with who you know as well has 22.5 on the ground on sparta Lafayette border and right near Newton as well .

14.0 in Easton CT.

First foot plus since the 13.5 received in the  massive overrunning storm in I believe Feb 2014 (I keep forgetting that storm).

23.5 on the year.

Only need 6.5 more to reach my areas 30 to 35 average range when I can say "only 6 below average winters this century!

10 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

This would have been probably a 30” storm measuring the old clearing every 6 hours way. Measured about 19”, but we cleared the driveway at 7:30 pm, and definitely added at least 3” on the driveway. Snowboards added maybe 1/2” though. 

Thanks for sharing BX as I am in new city and you are close and I could not get an accurate reading in my yard with the wind and neighbors and myself snow blowing and they yardstick I setup in my back yard was thrown off by snow blowing and falling off my roof,,,,,still would like to know exact how much was measured in my area

15 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

This would have been probably a 30” storm measuring the old clearing every 6 hours way. Measured about 19”, but we cleared the driveway at 7:30 pm, and definitely added at least 3” on the driveway. Snowboards added maybe 1/2” though. 

That’s what I said as well, def would be 30 here but depth never got over 22 . Clearing off method isn’t acceptable anymore correct ?

1 minute ago, rgwp96 said:

Yup my total ground is 22 , no doubt I had many more inches as what I shoveled  after it was cleared was at least 6 more inches .  Aren’t we supppose to report what’s on the ground ? My brother in law  lives in Hamburg and says he got 30 because he saw Newton’s report . I bet him 1000 dollars he doesn’t have 30 on the ground . He shut up real quick lol 

Clear snowboard every 6 hours only,  or max snowfall in the midst of a 6 hr period if snow changes to rain-/sleet. .SD is the daily 7A report.

CocoRAHS likes the 1 day max SD for their report.  

I see both ways, two different sets of users and I lean 6 hourly because of two factors. Many more commercial and traveling users for the 6 hourly that dictates work and travel requirements. that assist our daily commerce, whereas the 1/day is nice for climate but does not account for wind/melting settling. Not going into scenarios due to time constraints but I hope we can agree two sets of users.

I'll get a snow depth up here after my 10A clearing of driveway. btw, am definitely over 25" since the 3AM report at least another half inch. 

I've seen some prelim qpf from CoCoRAHS..several reports 2.3-2.8" in NJ. Will post all at 10A. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Clear snowboard every 6 hours only,  or max snowfall in the midst of a 6 hr period if snow changes to rain-/sleet. .SD is the daily 7A report.

CocoRAHS likes the 1 day max SD for their report.  

I see both ways, two different sets of users and I lean 6 hourly because of two factors. Many more commercial and traveling users for the 6 hourly that dictates work and travel requirements. that assist our daily commerce, whereas the 1/day is nice for climate but does not account for wind/melting settling. Not going into scenarios due to time constraints but I hope we can agree two sets of users.

Did I do this correctly?  

Wow, NWS map has a 16.2” report in Syosset, 18.1” E Northport and 15.9” in Commack. Did anything fall overnight? I have to be a little more conservative because of the blowing snow, as well as whatever falling off the roofs inflating the totals. I see NorthshoreWX had 14.9” so I probably had something like that. Regardless, awesome event and it may not 100% be over yet. 

i measured just over 17" last night and got another inch overnight. Compaction from sleet likely in play. I cleared about 3" Sunday night. Then those same areas equaled the 17" inches I measured in other areas which had not been cleared Sunday night.

So, I guess we go with the 18" total. 17" last night plus one inch last night. Pretty good hit.

30 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

I wrote in the interior page, bluewave linked a tweet yesterday from a spotter who measured 24.5” at 4:00 pm. I was finding averages of 22.5” at that time. Since then probably another 2.5-3” with snow falling. Great storm. 

Yeah just a complete guess dover id say 25-27 makes sense fallen (maybe more). Otg probably less since overnight with the weight. Those bands currently are just to my west. 

• Like 1

Prelim CoCoRAHS to hold the fort til i get back at 11.  Note the big qpf bullseye in NNJ...  modeling had that.  Also the big snows there.  I give the Kuchera method some credit,  even if some on our forums don't like it. It's helpful and was a cue for me in the Dec storm and again this one... allows me to be more confident on the higher end.  GFS V16 and NAM did very well on this event, I thought. EC was very close as well. 

Screen_Shot_2021-02-02_at_8_47.39_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-02_at_8_48.19_AM.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Wow, NWS map has a 16.2” report in Syosset, 18.1” E Northport and 15.9” in Commack. Did anything fall overnight? I have to be a little more conservative because of the blowing snow, as well as whatever falling off the roofs inflating the totals. I see NorthshoreWX had 14.9” so I probably had something like that. Regardless, awesome event and it may not 100% be over yet. 

I live in commack and got 15”, so the 15.9” seems right.