• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Obs and nowcast Major Nor'easter near blizzard Sunday afternoon Jan 31 - Sunrise Wednesday Feb 3

wdrag

30.3” as of 9:45pm, Sparta, NW NJ w/ ~2” in last 2.5 hrs. This is my last measurement for the night. It’s possible last couple of measurements have been impacted by wind as they picked up about  3-4 hours ago but still generally under 15 with occasional gusts 20-25. OTG snow depth at this point is remaining steady at about 25”. Snow over the last few hours has had less fluff factor and a bit more dense thus seems to be enhancing compaction.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NJRunner said:

Could this storm break the New Jersey state record for the largest snowstorm? If memory serves me right I believe it was 34 inches at Cape May in 1899, is it possible that Morris or Sussex may break this?

Weren't there some 40" totals in the 96 Blizzard??

3 minutes ago, NJRunner said:

Could this storm break the New Jersey state record for the largest snowstorm? If memory serves me right I believe it was 34 inches at Cape May in 1899, is it possible that Morris or Sussex may break this?

34 inches is the record. I think someone definitely has a shot to break it out in NW NJ

36 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Snow and sleet still in NW suffolk, 31*

Looks like this might be the last band off the ocean for a bit, but it's been snowing nicely for the past half hour.  Next up is probably freezing drizzle or plain old drizzle for a while overnight.  Hopefully a little pack freshener after that.

Temp up to 31.4 at 10:35 pm with S-

• Like 1

COOL FACT...

NYC began recording weather data in 1868. So in the first 128 years of recording weather data, NYC currently only has 2 storms on the top 10 list of all-time greatest snowstorms for NYC... 1888 & 1947 respectively. That's from 1868 to 1995.

Since then, the last 25 years (1996 to 2021), NYC has 8 of the top 10 greatest storms!!! That is simply amazing!

First 128 years..... 2 top 10 storms.

Last 25 years...... 8 top 10 storms.

Thought you guys would like this. 

Pete

NOTE: I wrote this before I found out NBC tweeted the wrong 18.3" Central Park measurement, that is was actually 16.3". But if CP can get 2.0 inches over the next day, then this post applies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeteThe Greek said:

COOL FACT...

NYC began recording weather data in 1868. So in the first 128 years of recording weather data, NYC currently only has 2 storms on the top 10 list of all-time greatest snowstorms for NYC... 1888 & 1947 respectively. That's from 1868 to 1995.

Since then, the last 25 years (1996 to 2021), NYC has 8 of the top 10 greatest storms!!! That is simply amazing!

Pete

NOTE: I wrote this before I found out NBC tweeted the wrong 18.3" Central Park measurement, that is was actually 16.3". But if CP can get 2.0 inches over the next day, then this post applies. 

Impressive global warming I think Contribute to this.  Warmer ocean more moisture and energy for storm development.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mitchel Volk said:

Impressive global warming I think Contribute to this.  Warmer ocean more moisture and energy for storm development.

This is exactly why in my opinion as well. But with todays political climate, someone can get mad at you for just saying that. Which to me is ignorant of facts. Those numbers are spectacularly lopsided when looked at in a mathematical sense. 

• Like 1

So going nuts up there!!

Hooray and send pics. We never should have gotten so segregated. Mi** Forky  and Ray up in northeast and Raleigh all had Great stuff to contribute to a Bos or NYC or DC event.’Welcome in my threads anytime you are.

we did Ok with 3-4 in WAA and 1 in coastal so we didn’t wake up to partly  cloudy which is how Miller Bs frequently turn out for us.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, PeteThe Greek said:

COOL FACT...

Pete

Is last 25 years unusually Miller B dominated?

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

Just surpassed 24 straight hours of non stop snow here.

85 where are you at exactly,,,,,,and do u have a measurement ? I am in Rockland County / New City and my yardstick has been on my table / deck and stuck on 16 inches for hours but I know we got at least 4 more inches maybe more since we shoveled ,,,I am thinking the wind is screwing my measurements,,,,just trying to gauge what we got here anyone else feel free to chime in if you are nearby or have a measurement,,thanks

4 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

85 where are you at exactly,,,,,,and do u have a measurement ? I am in Rockland County / New City and my yardstick has been on my table / deck and stuck on 16 inches for hours but I know we got at least 4 more inches maybe more since we shoveled ,,,I am thinking the wind is screwing my measurements,,,,just trying to gauge what we got here anyone else feel free to chime in if you are nearby or have a measurement,,thanks

I’m in Sloatsburg, it’s easily 2 feet here, probably over 2 feet

• Like 1