• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Obs and nowcast Major Nor'easter near blizzard Sunday afternoon Jan 31 - Sunrise Wednesday Feb 3

wdrag

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

15.3 seems off to me.  They had 5.3 as of 7am...I don't know if that was 5.3 total or 3.3 today and 2.0 yesterday.  They had only .55 liquid 12-18Z so unlikely they could get 10 inches out of that, nevermind 8

Through 1 pm, NYC had 15.3” total snowfall and 1.02” precipitation (roughly a 15:1 ratio). LGA has averaged almost 16:1 through 5 pm.  

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

15.3 seems off to me.  They had 5.3 as of 7am...I don't know if that was 5.3 total or 3.3 today and 2.0 yesterday.  They had only .55 liquid 12-18Z so unlikely they could get 10 inches out of that, nevermind 8

I was thinking same thing? But my father in Hackensack says 14". Not a reliable ob, but it is what it is. 

31 minutes ago, dave0176 said:

Wondering if we will ever switch back to all snow

It's been hours now. we are likely done with serious accumulation here. Precip isn't heavy and what falls is mostly sleet. Take the 12-15 we got. It was a good storm, but it was mostly over for us by early afternoon. Some areas stayed snow and for longer. Some never got going good. Way it is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Yeah, forgot. The Conservancy Conservators were taking one shot per inch I guess.

Have to say, the details of how the Central Park site is run are murky, so I've low confidence that the numbers produced are truly representative.

The site is split afaik between the Castle, a high point in the Park and the remaining sensor array, surrounded by shrubbery and perhaps 30 feet lower.

Snow fall measurements are manual iirc, so not automated and consequently less uniform.

Just now, nycwinter said:

13.3 inches as of 1:00pm and between 1 and 2 pm it snowed really heavy in the park hard to believe only 2 inches of snow in those 3 hours

Initially I thought they meant 15.3 as if 1pm and that made no sense.  This also shows their ratios fell down closer to 10 to 1 as we moved through late morning into afternoon which makes sense as well