• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Obs and nowcast Major Nor'easter near blizzard Sunday afternoon Jan 31 - Sunrise Wednesday Feb 3

wdrag

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

OMFG, look at this radar snapshot from 10 am - that's 40-45DBZ over my house and insane rates over Somerset County.  Some of the heaviest snow I've ever seen for the past 15-20 minutes.  Was at 8.5" at 7 am, then 8.75" at 8 am (not much that hour), but then up to 9.5" at 9 am and 10.5" at 10 am and at the rate it's been falling since 10 am, I'm guessing we'll have close to 12" by 11 am.  Shoveling (2nd shovel - my son shoveled at 10 pm after about 4") took me from about an hour.  Hard work, but so nice being outside in it.  Walked around a bit afterwards taking my measurements and just enjoying it.  

JUl5Z2d.png

Just went for a walk in that insane snowfall and measured about 12" (tough with the blowing - 12" is the average of about 10 measurements in the back yard, which varied from about 10" to 14" - 2 are on my board, but the board becomes less useful with the wind). That would make about 2" in the last hour, which seems about right given how heavily the snow was falling for that last hour. Since about 11 am, the intensity has dropped off a bit to moderate snowfall (probably 1" per hour stuff).  Temp up to 28F.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, snywx said:

Sussex county is in the sweet spot for this event! 

It’s possible. Been on the northern edge of the heavy band thus nice continuous moderate to occasionally heavy snow. Final sweet spot will depend on how the banding evolves over next 3-9 hours but should be somewhere from eastern/NE PA across NNJ / SE NY into NYC metro area. Highest totals will probable reach and maybe exceed 30”. Probably will be good old West Milford. Lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

Have surpassed 13" now. About 2-4 miles N of Sparta.

There is 14-16" in the poconos currently. That's without the heavy bands still to come through, someone will see 30"+ out there.

I think our area and points NW are getting better ratio which are making up for lower qpf thus far. Snow here is a beautiful powder and never was a hint of an mix which many areas to the SE expericed for a while. I’m quite confident the jack area or areas ( might be a few) will be near 30” and maybe an isolated 36” amount.

• Like 1