• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Obs and nowcast Major Nor'easter near blizzard Sunday afternoon Jan 31 - Sunrise Wednesday Feb 3

wdrag

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The HRRR retrogrades the surface low towards the coast and then stalls it around 22z tonight. This allows for the mixing line to work up into Rockland and Westchester.

Also races the dryslot in for the city and east. The NAM has it being a little delayed and actually has good snow/precip in NYC until dark. Hopefully the NAM's right. 

• Like 1

Just now, nflwxman said:

Bummer. That's pretty low regionally. Hopefully you make it up on the pivot band coming through in an hour or two.

I would say we are a hair over 7" here.

It could be more I haven’t actually been outside but the rates have been light to moderate nothing that heavy yet but I think the true banding will come soon for northern NYC/Northern suburbs 

Just now, jm1220 said:

Also races the dryslot in for the city and east. The NAM has it being a little delayed and actually has good snow/precip in NYC until dark. Hopefully the NAM's right. 

From what a few mets on Twitter that I trust have said, the NAM has been too wet and the HRRR has been too dry so far.

5 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

OMFG, look at this radar snapshot from 10 am - that's 40-45DBZ over my house and insane rates over Somerset County.  Some of the heaviest snow I've ever seen for the past 15-20 minutes.  Was at 8.5" at 7 am, then 8.75" at 8 am (not much that hour), but then up to 9.5" at 9 am and 10.5" at 10 am and at the rate it's been falling since 10 am, I'm guessing we'll have close to 12" by 11 am.  Shoveling (2nd shovel - my son shoveled at 10 pm after about 4") took me from about an hour.  Hard work, but so nice being outside in it.  Walked around a bit afterwards taking my measurements and just enjoying it.  

JUl5Z2d.png

Or its Sleet....

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/?parms=DIX-N0C-1-24-100-usa-rad

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

The HRRR retrogrades the surface low towards the coast and then stalls it around 22z tonight. This allows for the mixing line to work up into Rockland and Westchester.

That will cut back the snow total, fwiw temp has now climbed up to 30 here in HPN in the past 1/2 hour. Currently 6 inches OTG.

Just now, LibertyBell said:

some would argue that this was needed to radically change the system (talking in all ways not just the specific thing you highlighted), the status quo was unsustainable and needed a big change. 

The sociology of the school system is in place as much to provide a safe place for kids while parents work (  "in loco parentis " ) as it is for anything else, as we are painfully learning. Likewise, there is little justification to bring many workers to the office when weather is bad, as many things in the financial and tech fields can be done from home. But this also means frontline workers of all stripes bear the brunt of things. Let's all wish them well as they are out there today so that we can stay home safely, whether it's first responders, utility workers, healthcare providers, grocery workers or delivery people. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

The sociology of the school system is in place as much to provide a safe place for kids while parents work (  "in loco parentis " ) as it is for anything else, as we are painfully learning. Likewise, there is little justification to bring many workers to the office when weather is bad, as many things in the financial and tech fields can be done from home. But this also means frontline workers of all stripes bear the brunt of things. Let's all wish them well as they are out there today so that we can stay home safely, whether it's first responders, utility workers, healthcare providers, grocery workers or delivery people. 

yes, both our healthcare and education system have been extremely underfunded for decades now, this was a disaster that was predictable from long ago

• Like 1