Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - Jan 31 to Feb 2 Winter Storm

MAG5035

1 minute ago, anotherman said:

He was joking since they can be combative about people sharing snow totals.

No joke.  They just repeated before going to commercial: three people dead and snow.  Story coming up.  Amazing they didn't start with the deaths but with weather stories around the area. 

It was a murder-suicide involving a couple and their neighbor.  It happened about 9:00 this morning.  The couple had a 15 year old special needs child.  They mentioned shovelling but were not more specific.

Just now, CoralRed said:

No joke.  They just repeated before going to commercial: three people dead and snow.  Story coming up.  Amazing they didn't start with the deaths but with weather stories around the area. 

It was a murder-suicide involving a couple and their neighbor.  It happened about 9:00 this morning.  The couple had a 15 year old special needs child.  They mentioned shovelling but were not more specific.

Do you guys do the whole saving parking spots with chairs thing around your way??

"The Plains Township police chief says they believe this followed an argument between neighbors over shoveling snow from the storm.

"The bodies of the two victims of the gunfire from the shooter were both outside. One is the middle of the street; one is between two parked cars. That is a husband and wife. There is the person believed to be the victim the suicide victim who is the aggressor and shooter is in one of their residences, his own residence," Sanguedolce said."

https://www.wnep.com/mobile/article/news/local/luzerne-county/plains-township-double-murder-suicide-snow-shoveling/523-87e8249a-8c8c-4cd2-9a39-ce625c8ff94c

33 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

I am not making this up: Channel 16 news commercial just said 3 dead over a dispute -- about snow.  I cannot believe I just typed this.  I wish I heard it wrong.  

“This is what happens Larry, this is what happens when you clean somebody’s snow board”

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

I saw an article about that this afternoon from one of the local news stations here. DA quoted as saying there was some long running dispute between them but sounds like whatever they disagreed about with the snow was the tipping point. Still insane either way. 

Salavantis said the preliminary investigation indicates that there was a long-running dispute among the parties involved, but “this morning, the dispute was exacerbated by a disagreement over snow disposal.”

https://wjactv.com/news/nation-world/police-3-dead-in-pennsylvania-shooting-in-fight-over-snow-removal

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Do you guys do the whole saving parking spots with chairs thing around your way??

Plains Township is in Northeastern PA and I am in North Central PA. I don't know what they do over there.  The news report said the neighbor was across the street so the argument may have been about parking spaces and not shovelling sidewalks.  I just don't know.

12 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

Plains Township is in Northeastern PA and I am in North Central PA. I don't know what they do over there.  The news report said the neighbor was across the street so the argument may have been about parking spaces and not shovelling sidewalks.  I just don't know.

I'm guessing this was an outgoing thing and the one neighbor finally had enough. Pretty crazy regardless and unfortunate. 

• Like 1

Here is more. It is not nice.  I wonder who started it all and whether mental illness was involved.  

Plains Township Police Sgt Michael Smith told The Citizens Voice that Spaide, who lived alone, came outside with a handgun and shot the Goys, then went back inside and brought out an AR-15 style rifle.

‘He retrieved the rifle and shot them again,’ Smith said.

Both James & Lisa Goy were fired at an additional two times.

When officers went to his house to arrest him, Smith said, ‘Spaide shot himself.’

[...]

Apparently there’s been an ongoing dispute between neighbors, some of which involved a dispute about snow disposal and removal,’ District Attorney Sanguedolce told the Citizens Voice. ‘They’re across the street from each other, and when they would remove snow they would throw it across the street at the other person’s property.’

https://scallywagandvagabond.com/2021/02/plains-township-murder-suicide-snow-shoveling-dispute-leaves-three-dead/

Here's my midnight recap for the storm in Carlisle.  At midnight it continued to snow very lightly.  During the past 2 hours only 0.1" of additional snow was recorded.  That brought the daily total (for Monday 2/1) to 5.7".  The previous day (1/31) recorded 3.7" of snow.  The 2-day storm total was 9.4".  The liquid equivalent from today's snowfall of 5.7" was 0.70".  This included 0.3" of snow and sleet (0.03") and 0.07" of freezing rain.  I will be back in the morning to finish this report with the SLR's from each day and the 2-day average SLR.  Maybe I'll get one more inch overnight to exceed December's total by 0.1".  My board has been cleared and ready for anything that might fall overnight.  See you all in the morning!

Out of forum, but since it was discussed earlier, check out these Lehigh Valley totals...so far.

Lehigh County...
Ancient Oaks                 30.1 in   0945 PM 02/01   Trained Spotter
Lehigh Valley International  26.9 in   1200 AM 02/02   Public
Salisbury Twp                26.9 in   1130 PM 02/01   Trained Spotter
Coplay                       26.4 in   1000 PM 02/01   Public
1 ESE Macungie               24.0 in   0857 PM 02/01   Trained Spotter
Fullerton                    23.5 in   0645 PM 02/01   Trained Spotter
Coplay                       22.6 in   0645 PM 02/01   Trained Spotter
Emmaus                       22.3 in   1100 PM 02/01   Public
Breinigsville                22.0 in   0700 PM 02/01   Public
Macungie                     21.6 in   0624 PM 02/01   Trained Spotter
Coopersburg                  20.2 in   0715 PM 02/01   Public