• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan 31 to Feb 2 Winter Storm

MAG5035

Hard to ignore the trend on guidance centering the biggest amounts on far eastern PA/northern half of NJ into NYC with the coastal low getting captured a bit higher up the coast. Now when i say "biggest amounts" I"m mainly talking about the excessive stuff (20+). I still like the general 8-14" in our region, but we're going to have to watch the southern tier and NW part of C-PA for some bust potential either direction as well as a zone TBD that could see higher amounts than the said 8-14". 

As mentioned, the most intense deform from the coastal winding up targets far eastern PA/Nj/NYC, but the overall fetch and likely extension of this deform is still going to reach back into C-PA and questions are where and how intense? You look at models like the 3k NAM and RGEM and they actually arc the best snow with this more through northern/central, while Euro/GFS runs southern third of the state. I'm not sure the near term guidance (HRRR) is robust enough with the precip shield/banding later on tonight into tomorrow but there's a lot to be determined yet and HRRR (outside of the 0,6,12,18z) doesn't even reach out to where the coastal really winds up yet. Also have to monitor the slot far southern tier LSV and maybe some mix while precip's light but worst case scenario I still expect at least 5-8". Again though, the overall picture is this continues to look like a long duration general 8-14" snowfall over the area. 

Ratios. Taking a rough gauge of the latest Euro snowmap, for instance... The big amounts stretching back deep into C-PA are driven more by high ratios while the big amounts in the Lehigh Valley into NJ are driven by QPF (likely the better bet to realize widespread big amounts). This is also notable on the RGEM too. Not to say there won't be notably higher ratios late in the storm, but I think it will be narrowed down where the bands set up at that stage of the storm inside of the overall precip shield. If your running a steady light to moderate rate outside of heavier bands, probably going to continue to have 10-12:1 type ratios.  

Biggest takeaway, patience is definitely required for this event. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Wmsptwx said:

That low is wayyy more tucked than I thought looking at qpf distribution. If that comes to fruition well inland is still in game for big totals.

That’s what I’m boggled by. Euro is smokin bad weed or that is a really nice track and a very nice result. 

I hope it comes back west at happy hour.....I will have beer n popcorn ready. :jerry:
we r soundin a bit MA threadish in here. 

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

That’s what I’m boggled by. Euro is smokin bad weed or that is a really nice track and a very nice result. 

I hope it comes back west at happy hour.....I will have beer n popcorn ready. :jerry:
we r soundin a bit MA threadish in here. 

We are allowed only because of last year. This is an exception year. 

Just now, MAG5035 said:

Houtzdale too, although I guess that's only 5 miles down the road.

It's been interesting to see the snow this winter in Osceola Mills and Houtzdale but to go down 453 into Tyrone or 53 into Bald Eagle and there's nothing. I mean, I get why, but it's still mind blowing. 

CTP’s afternoon discussion talks about them being leery on double-digit totals in the LSV. 

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 PM THIS EVENING/...
10AM/15Z: Initial shot of WAA snow (varying intensity) has
overspread the majority of the CWA as of 10AM. Only minor
adjustments needed to hourly T/Td with maxT still on track.
After seeing the 12Z extended HRRR run, we are growing a little
leary (somewhat less confident) in double-digit snowfall totals
across the Lower Susquehanna Valley. This would be the result of
a longer period wintry mix in the dry slot with the main
deformation band setting up farther to the north. We will
continue to monitor closely.

&&

.SHORT TERM /7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...
A long duration winter storm will continue to impact central Pa
in the form of lingering, light warm advection snow associated
with weakening primary low in the Ohio Valley, then potentially
more significant snow across the southeast half of the state
associated with a strengthening coastal low Monday.

The gradient between deepening coastal low and high pressure
over the Canadian Maritimes will result in an anomalous easterly
flow trained over eastern Pa, supportive of increasing snow
rates Monday. Model soundings indicate enough warm air will work
in aloft to result in a brief changeover to mixed precipitation
Monday roughly south of I-81. Otherwise, model consensus
supports a long duration, all snow event, lasting through Monday
night over eastern Pa.

Latest NBM snow probs and WPC guidance indicate most likely snow
totals by early Tuesday ranging from 10-14 inches across the
southeast half of the forecast area, to around 6 inches over
the northwest mountains. However, uncertainty remains with
regard to developing coastal low and placement of heaviest snow. Model
fgen fields and latest HREF snow rates currently indicate the
heaviest deformation band snow will fall northeast of the
forecast area Monday/Monday night. However, conceptual model of
a deepening mid level low over the northern Delmarva suggests
heavy snow rates are possible across the eastern part of Pa.
Thus, can`t rule out some of the upper end ensemble members,
which would result in higher than forecast totals across the
eastern counties. The other area of uncertainty is over the
extreme southeast part of the forecast area, which is on the
southern gradient of the heaviest precipitation. The arrival of
dry slot could potentially result in significantly lower than
forecast snow amounts over this region.

00Z GEFS indicates snow will taper off Monday night from west to
east, as surface low and associated easterly low level jet
lift into New England.

24 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

This is all sound analysis and reasoning. I know this is location sensitive, but some of us will lose QPF to sleet and freezing rain as well. Not all of the precip depicted is snow down here.

My snow goggles are just not fitting correctly I guess.  I should have been more clear in my Euro posts that I was making comments on where the heaviest snows were setting up.  But in my specific location Kuchera showed me getting 13" of snow on .8 qpf and I did not buy that. 

It's finally restarting here.  Radar echoes are about 2 miles south of me so I expect the intensity to ramp up shortly.  No additional accumulation since my 1:00 ob which was 0.8".  Temp has dropped from the high of the day which was 28.0 degrees, and now is 27.3 degrees.  I see NWS has dropped me from 13" to 9".  I still think the former is doable.  We'll see.

• Like 1

Just now, CarlislePaWx said:

It's finally restarting here.  Radar echoes are about 2 miles south of me so I expect the intensity to ramp up shortly.  No additional accumulation since my 1:00 ob which was 0.8".  Temp has dropped from the high of the day which was 28.0 degrees, and now is 27.3 degrees.  I see NWS has dropped me from 13" to 9".  I still think the former is doable.  We'll see.

the band im in is sweet                    nice fat dentrites