Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Jan 31 to Feb 2 Winter Storm

MAG5035

1 minute ago, anotherman said:

I think we need to adjust expectations.  I have.  Unless you are in eastern PA.  It really looks like the LSV is too far west to get the really good stuff.  I hope I'm wrong.

Should @Cashtown_Coop open the MDT contest back up for adjustments?  :-).  Actually I would not adjust down much.  I still think MDT has a shot at over a foot.

2 minutes ago, anotherman said:

I think we need to adjust expectations.  I have.  Unless you are in eastern PA.  It really looks like the LSV is too far west to get the really good stuff.  I hope I'm wrong.

Just depends on what your expectations are, mine are anything above 30" right now so I may be disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Don’t they have a Pittsburgh thread on here?

Asking for a friend....

When I made this storm thread I said western PA folks were welcome to post obs and discussion over here. 

With that said let's keep the posts useful and on topic. 

• Like 2

Just now, canderson said:

I don’t know much but I’m an avid airplane geek (and have 20 hours flying so far) so saw this coming. I’m sorry - hope it doesn’t throw any curveball with the new employer. 

Oh so you're a pilot also. You plan on being a pilot like Chuck Yaeger or a pilot like Cory Lisle?

7 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

KPITT loves complaining about every storm. We got like 11 last storm and he was complaining the whole time leading up to it. 

Hope you guys get crushed and DC gets shafted. 

We agree on your last line....and you’re right the last storm was awful take after awful take for me.

That said after that foot storm the rest of the season is gravy.

• Like 1

Hi everyone.... long time lurker...1st time poster.

A question for the more knowledgeable members of the board....

I know some models have a habit of leaving the L over the convection but... does the jumpiness of the actual progged low center effect precip distribution?

I'd assume no but even the last CMC run shows a huge jump northwest.... is not the capture imo but wondering if that changes the trajectory or intensity the precip field on the model...... thanks everyone!.... here's hoping for a monster storm for everyone!

• Like 1

Saw flurries start as early as about 5am this morning snow but really didn't get going til about 9am this morning. Currently light snow and 1.3" on the ground.

I'm not really seeing many surprises in the early going. Guidance has had this starting slow for days and that's what its doing. Near term stuff has had the initial surge of snowfall followed by a bit of light period while the precip shield rebuilds from Ohio and pushes into PA later this afternoon, which judging by radar trends seems on target. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Saw flurries start as early as about 5am this morning snow but really didn't get going til about 9am this morning. Currently light snow and 1.3" on the ground.

I'm not really seeing many surprises in the early going. Guidance has had this starting slow for days and that's what its doing. Near term stuff has had the initial surge of snowfall followed by a bit of light period while the precip shield rebuilds from Ohio and pushes into PA later this afternoon, which judging by radar trends seems on target. 

Appreciate this reassurance. Thanks.

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Good luck with this one MAG, hope you get crushed. Appreciate you always including us western pa folk in your analysis and now the storm thread. 

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

I don’t know much but I’m an avid airplane geek (and have 20 hours flying so far) so saw this coming. I’m sorry - hope it doesn’t throw any curveball with the new employer. 

Thanks. I don't know if it will or not, but thinking myself that a cancellation would happen, and that I'd either be stuck in AVP for day or so, or forcing my wife and brother in law to come back up and get me in bad road conditions, I cancelled with a reschedule option. We'll see how the employer handles it.

Snowing pretty good here again with nice sized flakes and a good dusting.

The 12z Canadian low position & track is very good. The low stalls off of the DelMarVa and southern NJ coast. 
Notice the second precip max over State College back towards Latrobe due to the banding that sets up this run. This back could set up further east or west or maybe just fill in.

The bottom line is that we are all still very much in the game.

8B7E228D-5122-46D8-8A78-557C07A26B2D.png

2AA8DC62-EE32-46A6-BE3D-154280231088.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 12z Canadian low position & track is very good. The low stalls off of the DelMarVa and southern NJ coast. 
Notice the second precip max over State College back towards Latrobe due to the banding that sets up this run. This back could set up further east or west or maybe just fill in.

The bottom line is that we are all still very much in the game.

8B7E228D-5122-46D8-8A78-557C07A26B2D.png

2AA8DC62-EE32-46A6-BE3D-154280231088.png

Gotta move those 30-40" range back west Blizz! :D From Yesterday. 

• Like 2