Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan 31 to Feb 2 Winter Storm

MAG5035

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM SUNDAY TO 5 AM EST
TUESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 12
  inches.

* WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From 3 AM Sunday to 5 AM EST Tuesday.

tell me last time you saw a 50 hour storm warning in CTP

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Hey gang, I’m not going to have time to put the spreadsheet together as I talked about earlier in the week.   Just for fun we could guess the total snowfall and qpf for MDT and I’ll keep track of that.   Respond to this post with your guess.  Cut off for submission is midnight tonight. Qpf will be used for tie breaker if needed 

14.2”

1.18 qpf

20.2"

1.68 QPF

18 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I'd think were too far east to achieve anything more than 12-13:1 as its not that cold of a storm.  

per GFS heres warmest panel

then as coastal gets cranking we see this during max precip. and ccb's.  IMO thats great but not cold enough to really fluff it up. Still not a complaint in the world for me.

With a good snow column that doesn't have a warm nose in it and below freezing surface temps, it's more important what the temperature is where the best lift is occurring. Taking the Euro, temps are about -7ºC to -10ºC at 700mb where the big lift and heavy snowband is late in the storm. So not quite in the DGZ but it's definitely sufficient for good ratios. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, MAG5035 said:

With a good snow column that doesn't have a warm nose in it and below freezing surface temps, it's more important what the temperature is where the best lift is occurring. Taking the Euro, temps are about -7ºC to -10ºC at 700mb where the big lift and heavy snowband is late in the storm. So not quite in the DGZ but it's definitely sufficient for good ratios. 

Thanks.  You also just answered my question about Isotherms so no need to reply  

I was assuming -6 to -10 

6 minutes ago, Greensnow said:

BGM-:lol:

Well, that escalated quickly. Miller-B systems feature one low
weakening - in this case in the mid Ohio Valley - and
transferring energy to a new coastal low. They are notorious
for being very difficult to forecast, and indeed there still
remains quite a bit of spread in the models. However, most of
them have trended significantly stronger with coastal low
development while also keeping it closer to shore as it moves up
the coast.

Yup, that's been the last 24 hrs in a nutshell watching guidance evolve with this lol. 

10 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

Hey gang, I’m not going to have time to put the spreadsheet together as I talked about earlier in the week.   Just for fun we could guess the total snowfall and qpf for MDT and I’ll keep track of that.   Respond to this post with your guess.  Cut off for submission is midnight tonight. Qpf will be used for tie breaker if needed 

14.2”

1.18 qpf

21”

1.7 qpf

lets go

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

i was looking at both 850 and 700's to see how good the column looked, and shouldve posted the 700's as they only looked to get real good once best qpf has left the area (gfs). 

16 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

14.2”

1.18 qpf

Here we go... I will take a chance on this!

19.2” 

1.6 qpf

This amount would get MDT exactly to their climo snow average of 30.9 for the season!

We would still have the rest of February & March to pad stats for the season!

5 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

No need, check official forecast, they did it for me. 

Can somebody tell me how Temiskaming Shores (pop 50) gets onto a map and Chicago doesn't? 

Seriously, I can certainly see how actual amounts will be in the 6-12 inch range but my forecast is based on GEM being best available modelling, have been tracking events in Europe for forecasting that I do, and GEM has been quite reliable all winter when GFS and ECM are not in agreement, when they are in agreement I tend to take that blend and just check GEM for possible deviations -- what's interesting, and this may answer a question asked in the thread by Stormtracker IIRC, what the Canadian model may be picking up is the setting up of blocking from the fairly strong trailing wave that formed in the wake of the Tuesday s.e. VA developing low that then exploded to 952 mbs south of Newfoundland, then was followed by developing low -- also developments over Greenland and Europe are slowly building towards a major blocking episode, GEM seems to have done better with this and I noticed today's ECM 12z run has backed off a very progressive 00z solution in Europe towards at least 50% of the cold advection for Britain and Ireland suggested on GFS and GEM. 

My forecast scenario could also go wrong if the retrograde loop is further north than GEM shows. This would shift the 24-30 inch outcomes into east central PA entirely, and would probably result in 50-60 per cent validation rates on my amounts for BWI and DCA, IAD. 

Anyway all my forecast really says is that I feel the RGEM has the best call on development. We'll find out on Monday. 

Lifted from the MA forum.  Wasn't the GEM the one with those scary gray colors usually not seen outside of Buffalo during an epic lake effect event?