Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

Just now, Chris78 said:

Picked up .50" overnight. 

Storm total of 16.0"

That’s impressive.  Even though the vast majority of the forum didn’t see totals like that, I still think this was a cool storm.  And coming into this winter, most were expecting a complete dud (and possible shutout in the cities).  And more active tracking on the way.

• Like 3

Definitely an anomaly compared to most of the subforum. We got into that extremely heavy band that sat over 81 for several hours Monday afternoon. Picked up about 7" in 5 hours. 

I'm in the darkest Orange shading in that NWS  map that's been posted a few times in this thread.

I'm about 5 miles from that red dot that picked up over 20" in the blue ridge summit/ Sabilisville area. But that area has several hundred feet in elevation over me. I'm like 750. Those areas are 1100 ft +.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Potvinsux said:

Another 4" overnight in Snowshoe.   Probably 12-14" total since Sunday.  Snowpack is amazing.  January 16 and now.

Just a great winter in the mountains.  Last night’s snow put Wisp over 80” on the season...well on the way to beating average which is ~110”.  It’s great news for Wisp, Snowshoe, and Canaan considering the extra costs of running during COVID and the awful winter last year (relatively speaking).

Can’t wait to get back there in another week.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Just a great winter in the mountains.  Last night’s snow put Wisp over 80” on the season...well on the way to beating average which is ~110”.  It’s great news for Wisp, Snowshoe, and Canaan considering the extra costs of running during COVID and the awful winter last year (relatively speaking).

Can’t wait to get back there in another week.  

Agreed!  And with the cold coming, should keep them open through March, with more trails open entire time.  

Drove home to Leesburg this morning with light snow falling on 15 for a good part of the drive. Really pretty landscape...seems like a fairly uniform storm in general minus a few jacks and some unlucky spots. Leesburg's preferred method of sand is pretty hideous though but hey...it snowed!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Drove home to Leesburg this morning with light snow falling on 15 for a good part of the drive. Really pretty landscape...seems like a fairly uniform storm in general minus a few jacks and some unlucky spots. Leesburg's preferred method of sand is pretty hideous though but hey...it snowed!!

Plows are the worst.

Back in college (central PA), they would use coal ash instead of sand and/or salt. That stuff got *everywhere* as things started to melt.

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

Anything is better than brine and salt. Personally if it were up to me I’d ban both.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Anything is better than brine and salt. Personally if it were up to me I’d ban both.

You'd have no argument from me.  Its horrible for the ecosystems and watersheds.  At this rate the Potomac will be open for salt-water fishing in 20 years.  Great Whites up in the Tidal Basin.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, ErinInTheSky said:

Full on snowing again :)

I have lived in Upper Montgomery County for more than 30 years, this storm "the never-ending snowfall" is better than the one we had in 2003 and for than matter the 80's and the 1994(Sleet-fest).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ka60 said:

I have lived in Upper Montgomery County for more than 30 years, this storm "the never-ending snowfall" is better than the one we had in 2003 and for than matter the 80's and the 1994(Sleet-fest).  

It's nice to just have snow every day and to see it look so white outside.

I just would REALLY prefer to get more of it up front next time. My heart can't take that stress lol.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic