Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

16 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

wow - philly really got screwed

I'm pretty sure Philly ended up with something similar to what Baltimore got. Honestly, NYC got a bit unlucky, if you can call it that. It snowed like crazy there for 6 hours or so, but otherwise all that banding pushed inland and they were basically done.

1 hour ago, astarck said:

Looks a bit low south of DC. Perhaps by an inch. I think much of Arlington (except DCA) is closer to 5.5-6.5”.

I’d be surprised if the District was that low. I measured 6.8” here in Chevy Chase and this morning we had more than 4” on the ground WITH compaction and melting.  But maybe urban heating did its thing. 

35 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I'm pretty sure Philly ended up with something similar to what Baltimore got. Honestly, NYC got a bit unlucky, if you can call it that. It snowed like crazy there for 6 hours or so, but otherwise all that banding pushed inland and they were basically done.

Philly got "screwed' in a relative sense, but they still picked up 8-10 inches total, their best storm in a few years.

2 minutes ago, blueberryfaygo said:

hmmm.. thats your ob?  so everyone howard county reported 4-6 but you somehow managed to get an  8 inch lolli?  

I grew up in Ellicott City. At least there, we’d get significantly higher totals than surrounding areas. I lived on the top of centennial lane and the lift there compared to surrounding areas was simply a thing of beauty. Really was a great microclimate. 

35 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

What happened was that basically the entire 95 corridor basically got dry slotted and warm layer.. the heavy snow bands set up to the north and west for just about everyone.. I was surprised by the 20 inch ob up in Frederick County.. but it makes sense given the way the banding set up.. snowing hard now in Baltimore.

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

I grew up in Ellicott City. At least there, we’d get significantly higher totals than surrounding areas. I lived on the top of centennial lane and the lift there compared to surrounding areas was simply a thing of beauty. Really was a great microclimate. 

I am very familiar with that area.. yeah thats where I drive out to when the city is getting screwed.  I like to walk around the lake in the snow.  

1 minute ago, blueberryfaygo said:

What happened was that basically the entire 95 corridor basically got dry slotted and warm layer. the heavy snow bands set up to the north and west for just about everyone. I was surprised by the 20 inch ob up in Frederick County.. but it makes sense given the way the banding set up.. snowing hard now in Baltimore.

The warm layer and mix line will almost always work more NW that what's forecast. It's one of those tested weather rules in these parts.

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The warm layer and mix line will almost always work more NW that what's forecast. It's one of those tested weather rules in these parts.

Damn.. some places in new Jersey got three feet.  Thats two all time Records this year up north.  Binghamton was the previous one back on December.  

I think we are next... 

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Road crews have had it easy here in urban heat island hell.  The combination of marginal temps and light rates means the roads have mostly melted on their own.  

Amazing how these same radar echos that produce flurries in the city somehow account for incredible snowfall rates elsewhere

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

That yellow pixel in eastern HoCo is me! Lol 

That map is missing a lot of spotter reports from Calvert and St. Mary’s on Sunday (including mine). Since most of us got very little yesterday and today, we didn’t bother sending in updates. It looks like they didn’t use any of the Sunday reports and just pulled the few Cocarahs obs from the PNS report this morning instead. Most of those were too low (especially for St Mary’s).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yeoman said:

Amazing how these same radar echos that produce flurries in the city somehow account for incredible snowfall rates elsewhere

There were only two periods during this whole event where I had legit moderate snow. One was Sunday, I forget what time, and one was this morning but each one only lasted for about an hour or less.  Mostly it's been flurries and very light snow.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic