Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

Just now, ErinInTheSky said:

This was definitely THE most stressful storm, lol. Somehow I pulled it off in the end but I think I prefer muuuuch more the storms that are like, mega punches in the beginning.

Had the WAA snow been as strong as advertised, this storm would have been far less stressful for just about everyone. Even the crew along Aberdeen to Sparrows Point to Annapolis. You need good rates to get it down to the bay.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I would describe this storm as it busted then it just kept snowing. 

Everyone has their own interpretation of 'busted' I suppose. I didn't get as much as I wanted, nor what many of the models had depicted, but I did get about what I expected, being objective about the general setup, the complexities, and my location. 

14 minutes ago, jayyy said:

My brother is reporting SN in Ellicott city. Seems to match radar with that band overhead. One last hoorah for that area it appears 

His part of EC might have gotten it better than me. That band was just taunting us forever. Was sitting just north and just not moving and it was just flurrying down here. Did pick up a bit as it finally moved south a bit but it started losing its intensity. Very wintry day though. Was flurrying or light snow 90 percent of the day. Definitely had that classic look and feel to the day after a big coastal.

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Just leaving my Job near Thurmont . No new snow here as of 1pm but winds have been gusting good.  Already seen some blowing snow and occasional drifting across roads on my travels.  Feels and looks like winter . Hopefully we get a Friday am appetizer to kick off Sundays snow .

We had a nice period of snow from 2:30 until now. Starting to wind down. Picked up another inch or so. 

Just now, Hypothetical 240 hour snow said:

Ended up with just over 5 inches total... snow depth about 3-4 inches due to slight melting and compaction. Maybe about the 25th percentile of the range I was expecting, but can't complain... biggest event in like 2 years lol.

Do you think it ends up snowing for 240 hours here? It seems like it never ends.

8 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

What a loop:

Three days in, I don't think I can remember a more tantalizing, annoying, though ultimately (somewhat) satisfying storm to track/observe than this one in the 30+ years I've lived in this area. That historical radar mosaic portrays some of that frustration...and satisfaction...depending on where you were located in the DMV for this. I'm guessing that we probably nickel and dimed our way to 5" total in this corner of FfxCo throughout the past three days, but the staying power of the effects of this storm were really something to behold.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, astarck said:

Looks a bit low south of DC. Perhaps by an inch. I think much of Arlington (except DCA) is closer to 5.5-6.5”.

Certainly some older spotter reports mixed in. Most of Carroll county under 6” is surprising to me. I’d guess that the whole area from northern MoCo east to me, up around Baltimore, and then up into harford county is probably over 6”.

2 hours ago, T. August said:

Damn there’s a 10.0 reported in Norrisville in NW HarCo.

@mappy I guess you’d be the closest on the board... what did you get?

7.6” 

Norrisville tends to do a little bit better than me, they have a little more elevation there, and were under better bands at times. They also flipped to snow before I did yesterday, so not surprised they saw 10”

• Like 1

Well, I must say...even though I'm feeling a bit trolled by this in that Baltimore City once again just missed warning criteria (seriously, we've been allergic...haven't hit that since 2016! Hopefully though...that breaks soon), I have found the 50+ consecutive hours of having some kind of flake in the air quite amusing! Still goin'! Lol 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic