• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

I had told my friends locally that I thought 4-8" was a good call with 4" being the absolute minimum for my immediate area around Colesville, MD. 

I think I'll end up being right....but it didn't go down at all like I would have expected it to despite our Miller B climo. That WAA thump REALLY underperformed for my back yard (well my parent's). But this continuous bombardment of light to moderate snow is likely going to get me past the 6 inch mark. 

Let's hope this is an appetizer for the next part of the pattern!

13 minutes ago, Scuddz said:

bracketed by bands but nothing here but flurries all morning.  Definitely going to be in a local minimum once this is all mapped out.  Still enough to go sled with the kiddos though.

We've definitely had a little bad luck.  Still have very slowly tacked up 6"+.  I called 8-12" for us on Saturday and 6" was my bar for acceptable.  So we got there, even if it was a struggle. What's for sure is that my Jebwalk timing has been terrible.  Each time it's started snowing well and I've gotten outside for a walk, it's tapered off quickly lol.

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

We've definitely had a little bad luck.  Still have very slowly tacked up 6"+.  I called 8-12" for us on Saturday and 6" was my bar for acceptable.  So we got there, even if it was a struggle. What's for sure is that my Jebwalk timing has been terrible.  Each time it's started snowing well and I've gotten outside for a walk, it's tapered off quickly lol.

Would be fun if this was the 2021 version of the late January snowfall in 2010 ;) - the long range and storm term thread should be rocking in the coming days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Would be fun if this was the 2021 version of the late January snowfall in 2010 ;) - the long range and storm term thread should be rocking in the coming days. 

I haven't looked beyond today much yet, but seems like we're probably going to be busy for a couple weeks at least.  Much of our snow often comes in bunches and relatively short periods, so it wouldn't be crazy.  

• Like 3

@DCTeacherman...I have been looking at SPC mesoanalyis to see what might have caused this snow band.  Best I can see, the 700mb low seemed to extend south and/or reform a bit over the southern tip of the Delmarva.  Lift is usually maximized on the N/NW fringe of the 700mb low, which yesterday was over northern NJ/NYC/NE PA.  Then there was also wind and moisture convergence around 850mb.  

Here's 700mb:

75ft.gif?1612276789105

I can't post the -2hr (2 hours ago) map it seems..., but here's the link to the 850mb plot and just click the -4 or -2 button at the top right (time sensitive obviously):

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=17#

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, North Balti Zen said:

I lucked into an inch overnight up in the Mt.Washington/ Roland Park area but, yeah, we definitely found a way to miss a lot of the bands. Maybe the next one will catch us.

Didn't you guys get a good blast yesterday evening around 4pm with that band that came out of Harford/Cecil? 

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Didn't you guys get a good blast yesterday evening around 4pm with that band that came out of Harford/Cecil? 

No. Dried up. It was like five minutes and then turned off.  4:25 pm - 4:30 pm rocked though.  I didn't really harp on it because didn't want to take away from those who were enjoying a hit. 

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I lucked into an inch overnight up in the Mt.Washington/ Roland Park area but, yeah, we definitely found a way to miss a lot of the bands. Maybe the next one will catch us.

I opened that Whole Foods on Smith Ave years ago...first as a Fresh Fields....hopefully all of the snowmelt won't cause flooding lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

No. Dried up. It was like five minutes and then turned off.  4:25 pm - 4:30 pm rocked though.  I didn't really harp on it because didn't want to take away from those who were enjoying a hit. 

Yeah, I'm just northeast of Baltimore. Got 3.5 inches Sunday. Just an additional coating during Monday afternoon, the heavier bursts didn't last long enough to have much impact. Then added an extra inch last night. So 4.5 in the end. I'll take it! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I've been lurking this board and the old one for 11 years now and man this was a tough one to take lol. I'm glad people did well though, can't complain its white outside and I'm working from home. 

• Like 1

What a weird, weird storm. However, 3 straight days of cold and wintry weather is stellar in my book. Looks incredible up here in the woods. 

Couple notes:

My brother in west Ellicott city said he woke up 2” of the white stuff, super fluff. Still snow showers out that way

This makes 2 double digit snowfalls in Carroll county by February 2nd in a Nina winter - ain’t too shabby. I know some folks didn’t cash in this time, but Sunday and beyond look primes for storm chances with region wide rippage.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic