Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

Here's the LWX Winter Storm Warning criteria - 

A Winter Storm Warning is issued when a significant combination of hazardous winter weather is occurring or imminent.

Significant and hazardous winter weather is defined as a combination of:
1)  5 inches or more of snow/sleet within a 12-hour period or 7 inches or more of snow/sleet within a 24-hour period
AND/OR
2)  Enough ice accumulation to cause damage to trees or powerlines.
AND/OR
3)  a life threatening or damaging combination of snow and/or ice accumulation with wind.

The snow/sleet criteria for a Winter Storm Warning for the five westernmost counties (Allegany, Mineral, Grant, Pendleton, and Highland) is higher (6 inches or more within a 12-hour period; 8 inches or more within a 24-hour period).

This has been going on for so long I'm going to be sad to see it end. I suspect I will still see it snowing even when it isn't...you know like if I lost my legs in an accident but it still feels like they are there....different but the same...you get the point. Ralph said to be careful by the way

• Like 1

Guys - let's not cycle into another round of making this thread unreadable. 

If you're going to continue this can we please do it over in banter? Bottom line, we now all know the proper measurement procedures - his amounts shouldn't be included in an official map or mappy's map at the end of season. 

The Winter Storm Warning criteria is not simply 5 inches. Okay? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ErinInTheSky said:

It’s got me at 6-8 in Germantown but I’m at 3”. I think both the models and the obs did not realize how much of the precip came down as sleet and freezing rain.

In general I find these maps to be pretty accurate. Do you often find yourself  below local obs? If so, I'd suspect possible microclimate. 

10 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Man now that band looks like it will make a nice run over to the western folks...that's cool...anyone who caught some of the east and will get some of the west could be quite happy....I'm looking at you H2O :wacko2:

If I had known you would be looking at me I would have shaved.  

5" now total.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic