Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

29 minutes ago, Ravens 95 said:

DHS and Baker, two places I roamed decades ago...

Well hello :)  I was a student at both schools and now teach at Baker. Perhaps we roamed those places at the same time. Anyway, luck with any possible snow tomorrow, or next weekend.

Looking at the latest nams  tonight I see dc region getting another 2-3” from this tomorrow. 

700mb has improved and the easterlies tomorrow are now more on par with how we receive our ccb snows from a pivoting lp. There’s also good water vapor transport and ample moisture to our west and nw, suggesting when the ccb consolidates we could be on the tail end of banding that sits for awhile 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

NC radar does show precipitation creeping northward. Models have the low going all over the place, in many cases east and then west again, north and south again. I looked at the SPC mesoanalysis page and they have a 1002 L off Ocean City by tomorrow morning (if I read that map right, which maybe I didn't). Feel bad for the mets on trying to forecast this. Models do seem to agree on one thing though - lots of snow in Pennsylvania. 

7 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

A few inches of snow and kids can’t open their computers? We’re screwed..

Teachers are home with even fewer options for child care than before. Some kids can't get to their virtual learning locations. District offices are closed, and above all else, many students simply won't be present with snow outside. That's before any consideration of power outages, which have been few with this storm. I'm not arguing that school is impossible, but this is all still new and it's not a trivial decision. 

On the other hand, MCPS did elect to keep virtual learning intact, so it's definitely case by case. We'll see how it goes with MCPS and whether it's a disaster of teachers taking personal days to care for kids, and absent students. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic