• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

I’m not up on my history since I haven’t been tracking snow for that long, but I do know where to find the answer! It appears you are correct.
64C1824D-1940-455C-8481-0C7C0B8D2BFB.png.f6c9487ac1ced4542cac0350fd492968.png

I’ve said this once before, and I will say it again.

Please don’t EVER bring these images and disco of that storm in this forum. That was one of the worst Christmases ever watching that storm slip away. This gives me worse PTSD than that other storm that shall not be named.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

4 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Don’t worry man. It’s probably far less stressful knowing you’ll rarely see snow than to be teased into believing you’ll get a foot every week, just to have it taken away within 48 hours LOL

Yea I'm not going to miss that at all, haha. It was like a never ending set of really convincing mirages. Not to mention all the lost sleep and work productivity, checking models every 6 hours. God, it was torture but so addicting. 

2 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

There can some pretty awesome midwestern blizzards out your way though. Huge wind driven events if you catch the right one.

Oh yes, that's something I'm looking forward to experience. Really hoping we can squeeze one event like that before winter ends. 

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

I’ve said this once before, and I will say it again.

Please don’t EVER bring these images and disco of that storm in this forum. That was one of the worst Christmases ever watching that storm slip away. This gives me worse PTSD than that other storm that shall not be named.

Man I am so thankful I was not yet following this board or weather models back then...this would've felt even worse!! (I was already bummed about the miss...but I had no idea just how close we were to having something, lol) But this is my biggest evidence for why not to expect a big snow outside of our prime climo (mid-Jan through President's Day)...these fluky fails happen more then, lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fujiwara79 said:

So the DC metro area was forecast to receive 4-8" of snow.  After this is all over, it seems that forecast will verify.  Granted it will take 48 hours of sporadic light snow to get there, but I wonder why there is so much gloom in this forum.  The heavier snow was always going to be further NE.  At least it wasn't a complete whiff like 12/30/2000 or 12/26/2010 or countless others.  

I agree - days like today are always disappointing, but it's still enough snow to play and sled and have a snowball fight.

The real busts are days like Mar 2013 that just kill your soul.

• Like 4

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Man, WBAL always hugs their IBM models. This morning they had 6" - 12" north of I-70. :arrowhead:

GRAF is the IBM model. It was apparently a candidate for the GFS update a couple years ago but lost out to FV3. 

Yeah, 6-12” was their storm total for MoCo, HoCo, Bmore and points north. Still seems that the low end of that range could verify if we believe the guidance for the next 36-48 hours.

Just now, jayyy said:

Anyone in far NW dc? Looks like a solid band just popped overhead. 

sometimes when echos just vanish or just come out of no where I wonder if the radar wasnt just acting up sometimes and not picking it up or late in showing it drying up

• Like 1

Just now, WxUSAF said:

GRAF is the IBM model. It was apparently a candidate for the GFS update a couple years ago but lost out to FV3. 

Yeah, 6-12” was their storm total for MoCo, HoCo, Bmore and points north. Still seems that the low end of that range could verify if we believe the guidance for the next 36-48 hours.

Going to be silly close. 29 could be the divide  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic