Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Radar in the lull area is looking better the last few scans. Looking "splotchy" back towards Front Royal and Culpeper. Let's see if Bob Chill is right...he usually is. He might have some way of controlling the weather. 

Agreed. Once the splotches moved overhead here in Ashburn rates finally picked up. Still light, but it's accumulating again. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

The downright hatred of me because I say these things is hopefully now muted by one of  the best longtime posters here returning from a lengthy absence and saying a lot of the same things.

Are you talking about me? Not sure if u are but if so, I don't mute anybody in our sub. Especially longtimers. You could insult my mom and it still wouldnt change that. 

I didnt get invested in this storm until late tues/early weds but I did see it showing up out in time. My very first thought was I'll only believe an unusual miller b hybrid during a nina smoking my yard when I see it. I'm optimistic always but I never take a suckers bet anymore. Miller bust PTSD is a real thing. I tried to get my doc to prescribe a pallet of valiums but it was a nogo for some dumb reason. 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Flake quality improving slowly as the radar hopefully continues to fill in. 

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

I am at 2" in my part of Balt City - still a steady light to moderate snow. I refuse to look at radar - this has a chance to get to 5 inches and verified warning criteria if we can hold this through six...

Getting windy too!  Very nice out with steady fine flakes and blowing snow from trees and rooftops.

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

If things pick up like I expect here shortly will that make a difference or is this just how it is? I dont remember you from years past and this is my first time back so there may be some backstory I'm unaware of. Just noticing a pattern just like I do with wx. Not trying to be an ass (kinda sorta:tomato:)

Lol. Just calling it like I see it on this one. Potential for double digits that turns into 2 pity inches over several hours in prime climo while everywhere around us cashes in doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. As a nearly retired MD now taking up meteorology more who has done the Covid front line thing for 10 months I just want a good snowstorm. But healthy and vaccinated so I really shouldn’t complain. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Heh, if that was true then my yard would get 60 feet and everybody else would get 60 flakes. Then I would spam the board with obs and pics like a bot on reddit. 

Well that would just be too obvious. You're clearly doing it in such a subtle way that nobody catches on. 

Meanwhile - I'm starting to think that radar filling in is not my imagination. Looking better with each frame to our west in Virginia. Bring it to us!

• Like 1

Just now, The Ole Bucket said:

Maybe we passed each other on that walk @NorthArlington101 I went through Rugby, passed the Rotunda and went through the Corner as well.

Only got 5" IMBY, but so far no FZR so that's a big win for me.

Definitely possible! My housing is near Fry's Spring, so I went from there to Scott Stadium, the Rotunda, then took the long way back and went up to McCormick Observatory and walked down the trails to Fontaine.

It's more than possible my 5.5" is an overestimate - my ruler is not ideal. We'll see what reports end up looking like.

2 minutes ago, ovechkin said:

Lol. Just calling it like I see it on this one. Potential for double digits that turns into 2 pity inches over several hours in prime climo while everywhere around us cashes in doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies. As a nearly retired MD now taking up meteorology more who has done the Covid front line thing for 10 months I just want a good snowstorm. But healthy and vaccinated so I really shouldn’t complain. 

I'd be spending my winter days in a log cabin on the continental divide if I were you

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ovechkin said:

Careful with this hobby around here. Instead of a happy retired MD you'll end up a deranged lunatic who needs an MD. 

I want double digits too but expecting it with a storm like this requires the storm to defy a lot of important opposing forces that rarely if ever release their grip. After last night's model runs I was nearly 100% sure double digits would be a freak show instead of possible or likely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic