Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

Just now, jayyy said:

Don’t worry guys - all we need is the coastal to pop way further south than progged, bomb out, and for all models to be wrong. What could possibly go wrong? ;)

If you really think about it and be honest with yourself, this event has evolved (or devolved) in a very typical and common fashion. I for one am the opposite of surprised. Once guidance centered the jack up in NJ/PA it fit the mold perfectly. This is an overplayed re-run and exaclty why I was "hoping" I would at least crack 6" if things take a turn. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bob Chill said:

If you really think about it and be honest with yourself, this event has evolved (or devolved) in a very typical and common fashion. I for one am the opposite of surprised. Once guidance centered the jack up in NJ/PA it fit the mold perfectly. This is an overplayed re-run and exaclty why I was "hoping" I would at least crack 6" if things take a turn. 

I don't think the RGEM is a "terrible" model - but when it was the only one showing the banding arcing all the way back for the DC-Balt corridor I knew it was probably going to cave. That's when I tempered my expectations and buckled in for the WAA. 

Just now, jayyy said:

I’m sure someone with more knowledge can easily explain how both parts can end up screwing us  

I just don't get how the coastal low is going to develop so far south and we totally whiff. It's in a good spot for us to get crushed and similar to previous storms that crushed us.

Just now, Kmlwx said:

I don't think the RGEM is a "terrible" model - but when it was the only one showing the banding arcing all the way back for the DC-Balt corridor I knew it was probably going to cave. That's when I tempered my expectations and buckled in for the WAA. 

Mechanics of a NS transfer are often hostile here for climo reasons and it's hard to beat that. The handoff kills the waa and if the handoff/re-development pushes the max north of us it's something my yard rarely recovers from. 

• Like 1

Just now, osfan24 said:

I just don't get how the coastal low is going to develop so far south and we totally whiff. It's in a good spot for us to get crushed and similar to previous storms that crushed us.

Off the DE/MD border coastline isn't going to do it for us. Would like it a decent bit south and east of there with the tuck. I glanced at a bunch of the models earlier and they seem to be focused in that area. Down off Norfolk or even a little north of there would be much better IMO. 

• Like 1

Just now, Kmlwx said:

The Rgem seems kinda like the ukie to me.  More often than not if its out on a limb it doesn’t lead the way.  BTW I think the para has had the NYC jackpot for a while now, if that does indeed happen it’ll be a good performance for it IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I always thought the RGEM's biggest issue was it had a cold bias.

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

More goes into play here than surface low location. We need h5/h7 to have proper passage, and we need the trough to have a correct tilt. Without these things, there’s no precip shield building on the W flank of the storm. Everything gets firehosed to the NW of the storm into NJ and NYC. We’re caught between 2 storms. Again. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

i highly suggest you stop fretting about radar and models and enjoy whats falling. so much better that way. 

I have been outside all morning with my 2 year old daughter fully enjoying it. But it doesn’t change how I only have 3” and it’s the lightest pixie dust in history with a dry a lot approaching. 

Just now, LeesburgWx said:

I have been outside all morning with my 2 year old daughter fully enjoying it. But it doesn’t change how I only have 3” and it’s the lightest pixie dust in history with a dry a lot approaching. 

okie dokie. you do you friend. enjoy what falls. 

• Like 1

Just now, LeesburgWx said:

I like your creative way of not actually saying the bad word ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, understudyhero said:

I have a real question.

If everything either had a wild swing leading up to this exact moment or totally overplayed it, why do you have confidence that Monday into Tuesday is a complete loss based on the same models?

Because the closer in, the better they get. And this is a Miller B that typically always develops too far N for us. I’m thinking tomorrow will be a complete bust but I’m gonna try to enjoy what we get today. Even though the 3K NAM struggles to get me to even 3” before the mix 

I have a real question.

If everything either had a wild swing leading up to this exact moment or totally overplayed it, why do you have confidence that Monday into Tuesday is a complete loss based on the same models?

You must be new here hahahaha.  

Btw FATTIES in Takoma park outta nowhere.  

1 minute ago, jayyy said:

More goes into play here than surface low location. We need h5/h7 to have proper passage, and we need the trough to have a correct tilt. Without these things, there’s no precip shield building on the W flank of the storm. Everything gets firehosed to the NW of the storm into NJ and NYC. We’re caught between 2 storms. Again. 

One thing that always bothered me about this one was the trough orientation. It always seemed slightly positive to neutral and our big ones show the trough negative.

I have a real question.

There wasn't a "wild swing" with the WAA (part 1) of the storm. The shifts have been with the transfer to the coast and the Monday/Tuesday part of the event. The low location and the upper level stuff has adjusted just a touch to be unfavorable for us. 

3 minutes ago, understudyhero said:

I have a real question.

Unfortunately yes because much uncertainty from coastal re-development process has been removed now. Surprises are possible always but 100 mile surprises are a bit much at this point if you ask me. I'll gladly take a surprise but so for this is going down like a long list of similar storms. Thankfully not as bad as a cluster of storms that have scarred even the most hardened weenie

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic