Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

1 minute ago, Steve25 said:

And just like that, first flurries- Parkville 21234

Will be keeping an eye a bit on your obs. My sister and her family live up the hill in Carney, very close to Cub Hill. Off Northwind Road. It's my old home I grew up in. It's always 2-3 degrees colder up that way. I'll be comparing your obs as my meteorology loving nephew will be taking snow measurements for his first time today! 

6 minutes ago, real said:

What time do you think the snow will be at peak intensity today in the DC metro region?

Typically with waa snow, peak rates/snowgrowth hits when warmer mid level air is getting close to messing things up so my brain says final 2 hours before tapering off. This is a complex event though so that rule of thumb may not apply.

This is a very technical way of me saying I have no idea. I'll guess 12-2pm 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Thanks. We’re shooting for two-hour measuring intervals for plotting on a graph. I’ll just call it a linear increase from 3:30-7:30!

This is awesome. I had the most random image of you standing there in the kitchen with glasses on next to a dry erase board holding a laser pointer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Nightmare #1 scenario off the table. Woke up, ground wasn't bare, and radar matches expectations. Must have started early here. Somewhere around a half inch already. 

I'm rooting for @CAPE. If anyone deserves a deform boom in a regionwide storm, it's him. Not that wx cares but I do

Looked out the window at 450 am and the ground was lightly coated.  

In western Fairfax I just checked and we have just reached an inch of snow with moderate to heavy snow and temps in the upper 20s small flakes though. Any snow that is on the ground is a powder nothing sticks to it. Also it was so nice to wake up and not have to worry about mixing (for now at least) or the ground being warm.

The weather forecaster on WUSA 9 has a snow map of 3 to 5 inches for most of the region, but just said he's not that "confident' in it, and said he  may have to push his forecast up for areas south of DC because he is already getting reports of 4 inches on the ground near Charlottesville and Madison County, etc. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic