• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 31st - 33rd Storm Obs and Disco like it's 1979

Bob Chill

NAM is blasting the dry slot way further NW then any other guidance. Let’s hope that’s just a NAM mirage. Everything else about this run is better. And it’s slightly better with the dryslot but it’s still ugly and will make it hard to really ramp up the deform once the dry air has blasted that far north. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Decent amount of folks concerned about sleet/mixing. I'd think some sleet or mixing is possible for many areas outside of the favored all-snow locations. Don't the bigger storms always tend to mix? We've discussed this extensively in the past. 

Yeah, I believe psuhoffman was vocal about that tradeoff in the last thread. If you want to avoid any chance of mix whatsoever, get ready for a colder, dry storm. 

That's not an unreasonable trade to make, but it won't give you the 20" HECS

1 minute ago, dukeblue219 said:

Yeah, I believe psuhoffman was vocal about that tradeoff in the last thread. If you want to avoid any chance of mix whatsoever, get ready for a colder, dry storm. 

That's not an unreasonable trade to make, but it won't give you the 20" HECS

I dunno if the original complaint was directed at me, but down here in Charlottesville I just don't want to mix with the WAA. IDAGF if I mix on anything I'd get Monday/Tuesday.

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I dunno if the original complaint was directed at me, but down here in Charlottesville I just don't want to mix with the WAA. IDAGF if I mix on anything I'd get Monday/Tuesday.

Not a complaint - more of a reassurance/observation. I'd think a lot of folks may mix - perhaps not during the early parts of the WAA thump - but as it transitions to the lull period sleet is probable. 

• Like 3

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Not a complaint - more of a reassurance/observation. I'd think a lot of folks may mix - perhaps not during the early parts of the WAA thump - but as it transitions to the lull period sleet is probable. 

Fair enough -- it's something I should expect. 

3k NAM's thump looks great for DC. Lot like it's brother. Not as good in my locale.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

NAM is blasting the dry slot way further NW then any other guidance. Let’s hope that’s just a NAM mirage. Everything else about this run is better. And it’s slightly better with the dryslot but it’s still ugly and will make it hard to really ramp up the deform once the dry air has blasted that far north. 

The NAM is in a whole other world in the upper levels and it's low placement is directly over the convection in the Atlantic. Not even the HRRR is that ridiculous. I mentioned this morning, it's either going to score a major coup and every other piece of guidance will be off the rails, or it's on an island won't come back until it's basically beginning the transfer. The WAA piece is at least still pretty solid. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, MillvilleWx said:

The NAM is in a whole other world in the upper levels and it's low placement is directly over the convection in the Atlantic. Not even the HRRR is that ridiculous. I mentioned this morning, it's either going to score a major coup and every other piece of guidance will be off the rails, or it's on an island won't come back until it's basically beginning the transfer. The WAA piece is at least still pretty solid. 

The NAM had a much better idea for the December storm because it was less tricky, it got lucky and scored a coup. These hybrid "Miller C" storms with a strong WAA and then a transfer are throwing the NAM off for some reason.

14 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Decent amount of folks concerned about sleet/mixing. I'd think some sleet or mixing is possible for many areas outside of the favored all-snow locations. Don't the bigger storms always tend to mix? We've discussed this extensively in the past. 

We’ve discussed it extensively (ad nauseam, really) in the past few days, too.

;)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Based on prior experience, we will be fine for the first part of this.

It has been PLENTY cold today

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Fair enough -- it's something I should expect. 

3k NAM's thump looks great for DC. Lot like it's brother. Not as good in my locale.

On the road... but what was QPF for DCA on both 12km and 3km 18z NAM runs for WAA?

Looks like 18z NAM was 0.6" QPF?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic