Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

1 hour ago, TheNiño said:

Finally got the driveway clear. Glad I splurged on an Ariens 2 stage blower this fall! Really tough to get accurate measurements here due to all the drifting but I’d guesstimate 10in here just south of Racine, WI on the lakefront. Thank you old man winter! Come back soon!

before:HmMzk3L.jpg

After

7SOLAUY.jpg

Well you could've cut the corner for the mail person for gods sake lol

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Well you could've cut the corner for the mail person for gods sake lol

You’re not wrong. The plows will probably make one more pass so I’m hoping they will push the snow closer to or off the curb. That side is significantly more packed than the other side and it’s half slush on the street. Even if I cut the corner on the driveway she still can’t reach the box. If the plows don’t come by again I’ll clear it myself but hopefully a plow can do it in 2 seconds then I can do the finishing touches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So we just spoke to overnight ORD observer and the evening shift did mess up, did not account for snow that fell between 18z and 20z in the 00z report. So actual total in that period was 1.7". 0.3" between 00z and 06z brings the storm total to 10.8".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Last gasp snow still snowing decently here. Measured the snow on my backyard bar (concrete top) and it had 9.5" on it. That's untouched since the storm began. So total storm total has surpassed dd's, considering compaction/settling. Finally, the drought is over, lol.

And a minor rant, which vortex probably shares, but the few local observers around really don't know what the f*ck they're doing with snow measurements. Always some nonsensical amounts. One county CoCoRAHS observer reported 2.7" of snow on 0.71" precip this morning at 5:00 AM. The storm was 99% snow. And the ratios certainly weren't that sh*tty. :arrowhead: 

As you know I am the King of the Redneck Slant Stick.  Reviewing reports, will be issuing penalties soon :pimp:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

So we just spoke to overnight ORD observer and the evening shift did mess up, did not account for snow that fell between 18z and 20z in the 00z report. So actual total in that period was 1.7". 0.3" between 00z and 06z brings the storm total to 10.8".

Ghost of new girl lives on. What a joke. 

Last gasp snow still snowing decently here. Measured the snow on my backyard bar (concrete top) and it had 9.5" on it. That's untouched since the storm began. So total storm total has surpassed dd's, considering compaction/settling. Finally, the drought is over, lol.
And a minor rant, which vortex probably shares, but the few local observers around really don't know what the f*ck they're doing with snow measurements. Always some nonsensical amounts. One county CoCoRAHS observer reported 2.7" of snow on 0.71" precip this morning at 5:00 AM. The storm was 99% snow. And the ratios certainly weren't that sh*tty. :arrowhead: 
Are you right in Kankakee? We could use some quality reports for the event write-up. Definitely noticed a lack of quality reports from down there. Erroneous reports like what you cited affect the NOHRSC analysis that drives the automated snowfall analysis maps. We tried to account for the reports we received in the storm total snow maps we've posted.

31 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Are you right in Kankakee? We could use some quality reports for the event write-up. Definitely noticed a lack of quality reports from down there. Erroneous reports like what you cited affect the NOHRSC analysis that drives the automated snowfall analysis maps. We tried to account for the reports we received in the storm total snow maps we've posted.

Yes, I live in the city. Southwest side. My storm total was 10.3". That's doing 6-hour measurements, to the best I can, which I've always done. I noticed you guys have a map on the website this morning, that accurately captures the storm. Kudos. :)

• Like 2

Added another half inch yesterday afternoon/evening to bring the storm total up to 3.0".  Not what we hoped for, but nice refresher (with another layer of ice in the snowpack to boot).

DVN put out this map yesterday morning.  Amounts in the CR are a little light, as the 6" reports came in after this map was made.

uiuilu.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

Estimating near a foot from the storm here on the west side. This is my first winter in Chicago w/ a car and I have quickly become familiarized with dibs culture. Not a fan.

agree on the dibs as a non-Chicago native, worst part is people continuing to claim their spot for way too long after the storm is over

• Like 1