Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

12.2" on 1.21" liquid.  Oof

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
411 PM CST SUN JAN 31 2021

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
            ..REMARKS..

0400 PM     HEAVY SNOW       PEOTONE                 41.34N 87.79W
01/31/2021  M12.2 INCH       WILL               IL   CO-OP OBSERVER

STORM TOTAL 12.2 INCHES. LIQUID EQUIVALENT
            1.21 INCHES.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mimillman said:

Gotta be over a foot here. SN+ continues 

33 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

still solid, great event

Either the warm tongue and/or Lake Michigan has screwed you around a bit for recent snow events from becoming great. So I’m happy that it’s worked out for you guys.

3 hours ago, KokomoWX said:

I finished with 5-6" with some reports as much as 8" locally in western Howard County and Burlington.  This was cement all the time with some rain that really made it a wet mess.  The snow plows throwing the heavy stuff have done a number on mailboxes; mine included.  Unlike about every storm in recent memory, this snow will not melt away the same or next day.  It has been a while since I had any semblance of a snow pack.  

I did enjoy getting out last evening driving around during the heaviest snow and then again this morning to see the results in daylight.  Mood flakes falling now but not really expecting any accumulations.  Congrats to all who cashed in and I'll be greedy and ask for more IMBY and soon.  I'm watching next weekend and the possible sub zero temperatures to follow.  Bring it on for now.

(I'll admit I did get a bit excited at possible double digits with the SREF Plumes and HRRR going full out at the vert last minute.)

Same here, hard to measure.  We're some reports of 7-8 over in Grant county and I think MIE only reported 2.5.  Huge cutoff there in a span of 20 miles.  I too was getting excited for a potential double digit.  Don't know about up that way but when we did a switch over to some pingers then rain for about 30 min the faucet shut off.  Got dry slotted hard here, for almost 4 hours of nothing.  Wasn't expecting that.  Yeah it was a blast driving around.  Some on the board may not get it but when you live in rural areas you dont have to worry much about the other guy.  I will say when it switched to rain the traction level went to -100 and I limped home.  Was lol at the TV news in Indy.  I mean ok, it was a record snowfall for the date, but lord talk about hype over 3 or 4 inches on a weekend.  Wet stuff didnt really hit here until the latter half of accumulations.  Such is life here in the hinterlands lol.  5-6 is still respectable for our area.  Waiting on the March 2018 repeat lol

• Like 2

Last gasp snow still snowing decently here. Measured the snow on my backyard bar (concrete top) and it had 9.5" on it. That's untouched since the storm began. So total storm total has surpassed dd's, considering compaction/settling. Finally, the drought is over, lol.

And a minor rant, which vortex probably shares, but the few local observers around really don't know what the f*ck they're doing with snow measurements. Always some nonsensical amounts. One county CoCoRAHS observer reported 2.7" of snow on 0.71" precip this morning at 5:00 AM. The storm was 99% snow. And the ratios certainly weren't that sh*tty. :arrowhead: 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, TheNiño said:

Finally got the driveway clear. Glad I splurged on an Ariens 2 stage blower this fall! Really tough to get accurate measurements here due to all the drifting but I’d guesstimate 10in here just south of Racine, WI on the lakefront. Thank you old man winter! Come back soon!

before:HmMzk3L.jpg

After

7SOLAUY.jpg

That's one hell of a driveway. 

6 hours ago, cutlew said:

Yep almost there as of a half hour ago

B3211916-6FB4-429C-86F6-4421DD37964F.jpeg

Finished with 12.4 here before it finally tapered off, probably one of my top 5 favorite snowstorms I can remember.

Nice that it had a fairly decent swath of 8-14 all the way from north of Milwaukee down to Indiana so a lot of us scored big.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chicago WX said:

Last gasp snow still snowing decently here. Measured the snow on my backyard bar (concrete top) and it had 9.5" on it. That's untouched since the storm began. So total storm total has surpassed dd's, considering compaction/settling. Finally, the drought is over, lol.

And a minor rant, which vortex probably shares, but the few local observers around really don't know what the f*ck they're doing with snow measurements. Always some nonsensical amounts. One county CoCoRAHS observer reported 2.7" of snow on 0.71" precip this morning at 5:00 AM. The storm was 99% snow. And the ratios certainly weren't that sh*tty. :arrowhead: 

Yup.  They are absolutely terrible.   
Guarantee most wait until the snow has completed stopped until they measure.  
Probably measuring under a porch or something.   Lol. 

• Haha 1