Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

Just now, tuanis said:

Goes to show we really don’t understand all of the aspects of lake enhancement. LOT emphasized repeatedly on their Q&A yesterday that since this was a “warm storm” from the Pacific they didn’t expect any enhancement from the lake. Yet yesterday’s runs of the HRRR will largely work out close to the lake. This storm was moisture-laiden, could that be playing a role in the lake enhancement? About 11” and counting here.

yeah, i think better ull track and moisture plays a role here but i'll defer

I finished with 5-6" with some reports as much as 8" locally in western Howard County and Burlington.  This was cement all the time with some rain that really made it a wet mess.  The snow plows throwing the heavy stuff have done a number on mailboxes; mine included.  Unlike about every storm in recent memory, this snow will not melt away the same or next day.  It has been a while since I had any semblance of a snow pack.  

I did enjoy getting out last evening driving around during the heaviest snow and then again this morning to see the results in daylight.  Mood flakes falling now but not really expecting any accumulations.  Congrats to all who cashed in and I'll be greedy and ask for more IMBY and soon.  I'm watching next weekend and the possible sub zero temperatures to follow.  Bring it on for now.

(I'll admit I did get a bit excited at possible double digits with the SREF Plumes and HRRR going full out at the vert last minute.)

• Like 3

I'm alive and still awake, worked until 1015 this morning then still had to shovel at home, build a snowman and do some sledding with my son. What a storm, probably third favorite since I've lived out here. I'm guessing somewhere around 9" here but haven't measured. This stuff is deep and super heavy.

Re. question above about lake enhancement, I'm surprised in the Q&A they said we weren't expecting lake enhancement. It was in most of our AFDs once we got in range to discuss aspects like that. Question in my mind was to what extent would it boost totals. The HRRR always looks overdone so it's generally hard to trust with lake effect, but in this case with synoptic forcing plus very good speed convergence and a still above normal PWAT airmass over the region, clearly enough to get it done. The 00z and 06z NAMnest did a great job with the combined defo/lake enhancement today.

Congrats to everyone who tracked this event and finally scored a good snowstorm, 3 years since a solid metro hit and best overall storm since GHDII. Enjoyed every bit of this and the opportunity to share the meteorology on here. Another cool thing is to see that my former home before IL, NYC, is about to get smoked too, not super common for that to occur after we get a sig snowstorm.

Edit: Raising my kids to be snow lovers like myself haha

6914d6741c96e31fed6a569c4a3eafbb.jpg70c04a557e010ee75b05b7796b19bd29.jpg0778c109ea742d9b20db25fe9da4e20d.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

About 3" total here.  It came down good for brief period late last night.  Just lacked duration due to lack of back-end deformation snows being all to the southwest.  It's added on top of 4" remaining from the last system so there's finally a decent snowpack.  Hopefully we get some more to add to it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Who knew this was going to be a 30+ hour snowstorm (first to last flake)? :D
Coming down rather hot here right now. Loving it. And great pic Alek. And everyone for that matter. 

How much you end up with?  
I’m sure metro wastewater will say 3 inches.  Lol. 

18 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The greats have the good WCB burst and the extended defo snows with LE. This won't be historic but after mostly meh seasons downtown since GHD II, you guys earned it and it will be a fondly remembered snowstorm.

What we need is a GHD type storm with an actual cold airmass aloft with a warmer than average lake and not this marginal stuff.  :snowing:

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Who knew this was going to be a 30+ hour snowstorm (first to last flake)? :D
Coming down rather hot here right now. Loving it. And great pic Alek. And everyone for that matter. 

Yep..been a steady light snow here all day.  Some heavier bursts. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

What we need is a GHD type storm with an actual cold airmass aloft with a warmer than average lake and not this marginal stuff.  :snowing:

Bitter cold is the only thing missing for this one.. I honestly don't miss that bitter cold wind while snowblowing though :)

20 minutes ago, vortex said:

How much you end up with?  
I’m sure metro wastewater will say 3 inches.  Lol. 

Lol, it still going. No final yet, but approaching 9” storm total. Finally got my driveway completely shoveled out, and now off to the backyard...so the dogs can find a place to “go”. :lol:

• Like 4