Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

2 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Same here. Winds getting gusty too. 

I was trying to remember the last storm that I saw 10"+...and pretty sure it's Jan 5, 2014. This storm won't do it either for me, so the wait will go on...but geez, that's really awful. :lol:

That would probably be it.  Mine was 2/24/16.  Can't remember when you moved back to IKK but even if you were there for that 2016 storm, they didn't get nearly as much as areas just northeast.

I've mentioned it before but this gradient was crazy for a synoptic system. 

SnowMap.thumb.png.5edd4382a79a7c1c2c7140d2e2f6ece9.png

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That would probably be it.  Mine was 2/24/16.  Can't remember when you moved back to IKK but even if you were there for that 2016 storm, they didn't get nearly as much as areas just northeast.

one of da worst

Just now, Hoosier said:

I moved back to IKK in June 2015. Feb 28-Mar 1, 2015 was my going away present. It got close to dd's, but not quite. Nov 2015 was about 8" here, so I thought I'd see one quickly. I was wrong, lol. And I do remember that Feb 2016 storm. Such a super close miss. Eastern edge of the county here got buried.

A small squall ahead of the main system has coated everything. We were 34 at the start but it fell as snow and in less than an hour we have dropped to 30. The 1” rates in Indy have me excited. Snow reports all the way back to Bloomington, IN and Terre Haute. Feeling primed for an over performer. HRRR has been pumped for the area the past few runs. 

4 minutes ago, Natester said:

DVN radar is down.

Poor timing.  Was watching CC to give me an idea of how the changeover was going.  Guess it will remain a mystery now lol.  

HRRR has all snow here at 5pm, so it's obviously not handing the changeover well.  Most other guidance has us all snow by 7-8pm at the latest so hopefully that works out.  Would be a lot more frustrating if we didn't just have the 6"er last Monday.

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

SnowMap.thumb.png.5edd4382a79a7c1c2c7140d2e2f6ece9.png

I think RC has nightmares about this one once a week 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Wife has to work till 10.  Told me sternly no snow chasing this evening  I could here my old truck hollering so Im heading out to witness the "wall" and will take my lumps lol.  Its been over a year since Berthas been in 4wd.  Gotta exercise them old bones.  Had a few pingers.  Still some dry air issues but dont think temps are gonna be an issue for most if not all of this.  

I am also out with a 4 wheel drive truck and camera and video gear. Can wait for the main slug to get here. 

8 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

I moved back to IKK in June 2015. Feb 28-Mar 1, 2015 was my going away present. It got close to dd's, but not quite. Nov 2015 was about 8" here, so I thought I'd see one quickly. I was wrong, lol. And I do remember that Feb 2016 storm. Such a super close miss. Eastern edge of the county here got buried.

imo, you still have a shot at 10" with this one if it breaks right.  I'd give it almost a 50/50 shot.

20 minutes ago, madwx said:

It's not really a dryness thing here, its more just a slower progression northward of the forcing for precip.  Getting reports of drizzle on the SW side of Madison so we just need the forcing to arrive(probably in an hour or so) and well be golden.

It's definitely dry here at 28/18.  Was hoping to add at least a little to the snowpack.    It looks like the backside deformation zone will be closer to you later tonight into tomorrow morning.  Here the front end is all we're going to get as the upper low is forecast to fizzle as the energy transfers to the mid-atlantic.  I'll be surprised if I eek 2 inches from this.  You'll probably do a little better as you'll at least have a decaying deformation band overhead for a little bit of time.