Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 30-February 1 Winter Storm Part 2

Hoosier

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It's early but not really seeing signs of the paste/cake like appearance on the trees/power lines.  And actually just as I look outside now, a gust came and really whipped the snow off of the roofs.

If we can manage even modestly better than 10:1 ratios throughout with the modeled qpf, this would start getting into big dog territory.

The heavier band that went through here definitely had better flake size and seemed drier.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Seems like that is an issue for us with every storm. I remember one storm (I think the winter before last) that was supposed to be a big dog for us, but we either busted the warning or just barely made criteria because the first few hours were lost to dry air resulting in either nothing or pixie dust flakes.

It's not really a dryness thing here, its more just a slower progression northward of the forcing for precip.  Getting reports of drizzle on the SW side of Madison so we just need the forcing to arrive(probably in an hour or so) and well be golden.

• Thanks 1

Wife has to work till 10.  Told me sternly no snow chasing this evening  I could here my old truck hollering so Im heading out to witness the "wall" and will take my lumps lol.  Its been over a year since Berthas been in 4wd.  Gotta exercise them old bones.  Had a few pingers.  Still some dry air issues but dont think temps are gonna be an issue for most if not all of this.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Malacka11 said:

I'm not saying this just to be a weenie, but this reminds me frighteningly of the early onset of GHDI. That is, this really doesn't seem to be the super heavy pasty snow, at least not yet

:weenie:

I think that one was more of a wall of heavy snow at onset though.  Was in LAF then though with the infamous sleet storm so my memory of how it went in Chicago metro could be off. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Temp has dipped to 31 here.

Same here. Winds getting gusty too. 

I was trying to remember the last storm that I saw 10"+...and pretty sure it's Jan 5, 2014. This storm won't do it either for me, so the wait will go on...but geez, that's really awful. :lol:

24 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

Gonna be a bit of a lull as that subsidence area works its way east and north along 80 and into sw metro but man does ILX radar look hot 

It's not subsidence. More of the issue with drier air flowing in from the east across NE IL.

Further west across the DVN this issue doesn't exist, due to less dry air at the start.

6 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Same here. Winds getting gusty too. 

I was trying to remember the last storm that I saw 10"+...and pretty sure it's Jan 5, 2014. This storm won't do it either for me, so the wait will go on...but geez, that's really awful. :lol:

Snowing there?   

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

:weenie:

I think that one was more of a wall of heavy snow at onset though.  Was in LAF then though with the infamous sleet storm so my memory of how it went in Chicago metro could be off. 

If I'm being completely honest, I was probably too young to actually remember with complete accuracy but from what I can recall, the wind definitely helps the feel.