• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pics/Videos/Stories from past weather systems in the region

Shocker0

Not sure if it's allowed but I figured I would make a thread to share pics/videos/stories of past storms that have affected our location over the years. Hopefully some of you will participate. It doesn't have to be a significant storm just something that you want to share or a story from a weather event.

This first video is from Wednesday February 18, 2015. We had one of the wildest weeks of weather I can ever remember that week. It started on Monday with a big ice storm, followed by snow Tuesday and Wednesday and temperatures dropping below zero. Then on Friday we had a huge warmup (to 29 degrees) and two inches worth of ice fall Friday night and Saturday morning, knocking power out for many days. So during that 5 day stretch we had two Ice Storm Warnings and multiple Winter Weather Advisories. This video was taken midweek of heavy snow at work, followed by sunshine only about an hour later.

I took a pic of the weather predicted that week just because of how crazy it was (it ended up not getting nearly THAT cold on Wednesday night)

weather.thumb.png.fa7e492edd2c6a5603a302af1beff53a.png

• Like 7

This video is three days later driving down I-40 through Crossville. 40mph+ Wind Gusts plus 2 inches of ice made it look like a tornado hit. Surprisingly, most lower elevated areas around us got all snow from this event before it eventually switched to rain, where we mostly just got freezing rain for hours on end.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Ill post some pics from Feb. 2015 tomorrow Lord willing , nothing happens. Turning in for now.

Late February 2015 was definitely one of the most active recent periods I can recall in the forum area for sure. We never really had an ice storm warning since I had lived in Tennessee (2004) and suddenly had two in one week. I thought the ice storm that Monday was bad but the one on Saturday ended up being the worst in history around here.

Here's another. Had to screenshot these so, look over that flaw. Have these photos somewhere on a drive but, would have to find.

Btw, this particular snowfall that fell on the 21st was about 15" . 19" was recorded just north of town at the base of stone Mountain. There was 22" on ground at photo location at time captured. It was waist deep in northern sections of the county . 

Screenshot_2021-01-30-22-10-52.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wintersnow888 said:

We lost 20 + trees in that ice storm, and had no power for 11 days. I think this area around Monterey was kinda the epicenter. The thing I remember was how quiet it was until the wind started picking up Saturday morning, and then all you could hear were the trees snapping and crashing. 

Yeah it was definitely the bullseye from Monterey to Clarkrange and down to Crossville as far as ice went. I remember the trees snapping as well, only other storm that reminded me of that was living in Southern Kentucky in 1998 when an unexpected snowstorm dumped 2+ feet of heavy wet snow on us and we had to walk to my aunts house (she had a generator) 1/4 mile away and kept hearing trees falling all around us. I have plenty of pictures from this ice storm. Here is one overlooking I-40 Exit 311. You can see how thick the ice is on the guardrail and even the car mirror. I was actually thankful my yard didn't have trees in it at the time (other than a couple strong pines and small trees).

icestormfeb212015.thumb.jpg.87cdebec0bd4596931989a37cc69dcc8.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fountainguy97 said:

Just curious. What are some of the biggest NWFS events in this areas history?  Was the hurricane sandy snowfall considered NWFS? 

There have been several that went over 2 feet LeConte in the last 15-20 years. I want to say a few went over 3 feet. I believe Sandy had some snow from the system itself involved. 

I once got connected to a feeder band off Michigan and it snowed 6 inches in 4 hours here. It was NNW flow instead of NW flow though. I believe Christmas eve to the 26th of 2010 was a long duration NWFS situation where around 2 feet fell at LeConte and lower elevations got 6-12.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shocker0 said:

Yeah it was definitely the bullseye from Monterey to Clarkrange and down to Crossville as far as ice went. I remember the trees snapping as well, only other storm that reminded me of that was living in Southern Kentucky in 1998 when an unexpected snowstorm dumped 2+ feet of heavy wet snow on us and we had to walk to my aunts house (she had a generator) 1/4 mile away and kept hearing trees falling all around us. I have plenty of pictures from this ice storm. Here is one overlooking I-40 Exit 311. You can see how thick the ice is on the guardrail and even the car mirror. I was actually thankful my yard didn't have trees in it at the time (other than a couple strong pines and small trees).

icestormfeb212015.thumb.jpg.87cdebec0bd4596931989a37cc69dcc8.jpg

Remember the Feb. 98 one well. We were supposed to of got that one. Only got lt accs. The ULL pulled everything further west. 

3 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

Nothing remarkable with these two, but I'll post anyway.

Knoxville, 17 January 2018.

KRxPXjY.jpg

Primm Springs (Williamson County, TN), 7 February 2020.

tYJEmZA.jpg

Nice pics. I don't remember the 2018 one in Crossville (we might not have gotten very much from it). We did get a decent snow on Feb 7 of last year though (one of only like three times last year). Hopefully you guys will get something notable before this winter ends.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, John1122 said:

Jan 2010. Nearly 50 inches here 2009-2010 season.  

fMIq6g.md.jpg

Nice, I lived in Morgan County at that time and we didn't get near that much (it was still the snowiest winter I can remember) but I saw pics of Crossville in that time frame and it looked similar to your pic. I'd say around a foot in early December and close to that on Christmas. The late January snow was also big but WAA caused a lot of icing towards Crossville so I believe the area I live now probably only had about 6"-7" while in town (further southeast) was closer to 4" with ice on top

3 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

Nice, I lived in Morgan County at that time and we didn't get near that much (it was still the snowiest winter I can remember) but I saw pics of Crossville in that time frame and it looked similar to your pic. I'd say around a foot in early December and close to that on Christmas. The late January snow was also big but WAA caused a lot of icing towards Crossville so I believe the area I live now probably only had about 6"-7" while in town (further southeast) was closer to 4" with ice on top

I stayed snow for that late January event and got 13-14 inches. 

• Like 1

Just now, John1122 said:

I stayed snow for that late January event and got 13-14 inches. 

Yeah I remember most places were snow but it was one of those weird events here where the central Plateau got less snow and more ice than most areas. It was a weird one. I remember walking on top of the snow without sinking through thanks to the ice. I got a pic somewhere I'll share. Also the December event I was thinking of was actually 2010-2011 which was also a really good winter here.

Every time you walked there was about a 2" layer of ice on top and you could pick it up off the top of the snow in these slabs. Definitely was a weird one: VBwyt1.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The only pics I can really find from the February 3, 1998 snowstorm that hit McCreary County, KY where I lived at the time (also hit some areas of the Plateau). I believe we were supposed to get 2-4" after a changeover from heavy rain. It changed over much earlier than expected due to dynamic cooling. Went to bed with a dusting and woke up to over 2 feet of the heaviest wet snow I've ever seen. We couldn't open our front door so we had to climb out a window and walk to my Aunt's house 1/3 mile down the road because she had a generator and we didn't. The whole walk (which wasn't easy with that much snow) you could hear trees popping everywhere and falling, so that was an added element of danger.

School was out for three weeks, power was out for two, and the National Guard was called in to help clean up because so many trees went down. I would love to find more pictures from it but it's a struggle unfortunately. It's probably the only snowfall I've been through that I didn't enjoy just because of how stressful it was on the family and not being able to go anywhere or have power for weeks.

OHX did a writeup on the storm (https://www.weather.gov/ohx/19980203). Check out the snow totals and notice how elevation played a huge factor just like in this weekend's snow. Williamsburg, KY, just 15 miles east of McCreary County, recorded 4.8" while FEMA.gov notes this for McCreary:

BACKGROUND

During early February 1998, McCreary County, Kentucky experienced a record snowfall event receiving up to 30 inches of snow. The heavy snow caused damage to overhead utility lines and left large amounts of debris on the roadways. As a result, FEMA-1207-DR-KY was declared. The severity of the snow combined with the remote mountainous terrain effectively stranded the county's emergency personnel and snow removal equipment. In response to this, the County Judge requested that citizens assist with the removal of downed trees and snow to facilitate bringing the county emergency resources back on line. The citizens of McCreary County responded to the request and voluntarily assisted in the debris removal.

----------------

Jamestown, TN was also hit hard, receiving 21" of snow. OHX notes this: 1998- Snowstorm brings treacherous driving conditions, school closures, and widespread power outages to the Cumberland Plateau. Interstate 40 is closed at Monterey for 18 hours due to the heavy snow. Traffic is backed up for 13 miles. Winds gust to 50 mph at times during the snowstorm. Approximately 100,000 electric customers lose power. TEMA reports damages of about $5 million.

1998snow.jpg

1998snow2.jpg.0495d5f80535caeba749f30f0709d803.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1