• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February/March 2021 - Frigid or Flop? Pattern/Longterm Forecast Thread.

John1122

50 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Not sure, but it sounds like some places at elevation def. have. 

The EPS looks more like the CMC or the new para GFS, at least to me, so it would be less suppressed and closer to the 12th than the 14th:

giphy.gif

I mean, that is a great look.  -NAO, ridging along the West Coast, AN heights up top and in Alaska.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

Looks like a window to follow.  If we can manage to put snow on the ground then, it might now leave for several days.  Mountains might keep snow for the rest of the month.  Interestingly, Holston, have the Smokies kept continuous snowfall on the ground since Christmas?

I believe LeConte has had snow on the ground since late November. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

What percentage of days have you all had snow on the ground since Christmas?  The mountain about 1 mi behind my house is 2400', and it has had something on the north slope about 75%+ of the days since then.

I've had at least some snow on the ground all but maybe 10-14 days since Christmas. It's been on the ground since Saturday now and will at least make it through part of tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Ensembles are still quite aggressive with surface HP.  To echo Webber from yesterday, when you start seeing those powerful highs on washed out ensembles...pretty good signal for cold.  Will be interesting to see if operational modeling gets more severe with cold as we get closer to the end of next week.  I am really torn as to whether it comes out in waves or just comes out as one big air mass.  Webber did note today on Twitter that the Pacific construct(go read his Tweet for details) is raising the possibility that it comes out of the West in its entirety as one air mass.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Ensembles are still quite aggressive with surface HP.  To echo Webber from yesterday, when you start seeing those powerful highs on washed out ensembles...pretty good signal for cold.  Will be interesting to see if operational modeling gets more severe with cold as we get closer to the end of next week.  I am really torn as to whether it comes out in waves or just comes out as one big air mass.  Webber did note today on Twitter that the Pacific construct(go read his Tweet for details) is raising the possibility that it comes out of the West in its entirety as one air mass.  

The snow cover factor will play a big role. February has a lot of all time record lows in the midstate. Very impressive since Jan 1985 owns most of those in the state. I've been -20 in February before and that was in the oft mentioned 1996. Managed around -14 in late February 2015. 

• Like 3

I think it is going to depend on two things, the strength of the amplification and the amount of cold air which feeds into that trough.  I thought we would have seen that this weekend, but the phase was a few hours off and the cold not nearly as strong.  That said, the aforementioned window late next week/has a chance to form a strong storm along a potentially powerful frontal boundary.   That type of cold running around the continent of NA is just asking for trouble.  Time will tell.  Fun times to track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 6z GFSv16 is still insistent on showing a snowstorm for the Tennessee Valley on Super Bowl Sunday. Battles between the Euro and GFS at day 3 almost always go to the Euro, but I did note the GFSv16 was scoring better at 500 than the Euro. Because of this, I don’t think we can simply dismiss it.

Pretty fascinating short range battle here. I just hope the GFSv16 isn’t bringing a knife to a gunfight.
a1604b6f819fad83319bdf574280434a.jpg

6 minutes ago, tnweathernut said:

The 6z GFSv16 is still insistent on showing a snowstorm for the Tennessee Valley on Super Bowl Sunday. Battles between the Euro and GFS at day 3 almost always go to the Euro, but I did note the GFSv16 was scoring better at 500 than the Euro. Because of this, I don’t think we can simply dismiss it.

Pretty fascinating short range battle here. I just hope the GFSv16 isn’t bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Both versions of the GFS are like that now. I suspect they are just flat wrong but maybe the 12z guidance will further illuminate things. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Both versions of the GFS are like that now. I suspect they are just flat wrong but maybe the 12z guidance will further illuminate things. 

Definitely not saying this is a battle the v16 will ultimately win.  Euro’s resolution is still king.  Id probably put the v16’s chance of scoring the victory around 10-15%.  Or just above ........

”so you’re telling me there’s a chance” from Dumb and Dumber.

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic