Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31st CAD event

BooneWX

Just now, BornAgain13 said:

Geez , the 12k NAM gave me 0.98 ZR , even if that's cut in half , someone help me lol

i know. half of that puts us in the dark and out of school for a long time.  i fear this would be a michael length outage and hope its not. time to load up the cooler with ice in prep.

24 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

DT's 1st guess Map... got me in 4-8" , would love that but I don't think we get that high , maybe 2-4" before the change to ICEScreenshot_20210129-212306_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I think DT's map is too bullish for Southside, Roanoke and the NRV.   I think his numbers are more accurate around lexington and points northward.  I'd take DT's totals for southwest Virginia and cut them in half.   That said, I wouldn't be complaining in the slightest if we achieved those totals.  I've lived in Roanoke most of my life and I know when that warm nose gets close, a sleetfest ensues.  I think 3-5 inches of "crunch" is reasonable to expect at this point.  I think your estimates for Dry Fork are spot-on.  But hey, here's to hoping that cold air aloft remains stubborn throughout this event.:mapsnow:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

BTW, it's 23.2 here already and the forecasted low from NOAA is 22. 

That’s interesting.  RAH forecasts a low of 21 here and I’m at 27.9 now.  I was hoping to get excited about this event, but I’m expecting maybe some light snowflakes from that first band coming through Saturday evening and a 33 degree rain on Sunday.

Our events are increasingly marginal and on the edge.  The take-it-to-the-bank storms of yore are few and far between.

Interesting to see Blacksburg modify their storms totals to a much wider spread.  I have to believe they are trying account for elevation variances across such a broad area.  Now says 1-6" snow.  Thats the most vague forecast I think I've ever seen, but who can blame them!  Sunday is going to be an absolute disaster for the state line areas into Southern VA.

• Like 1

I’ll disagree with many posts. I don’t see there being much ice accumulation from this, even at the border. It’s a heavy rain that will be in and out in 8 hours with marginal temps. A decent coat of ice from light rain or drizzle at 30 or 31 degrees, sure. But not .75” of heavy rain at 30 degrees. 

• Like 2