• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

Winter Storm Warning posted for Southern/SW Parts of LWX Forecast Area......

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
902 AM EST Sat Jan 30 2021

VAZ040-050-051-055>057-502-302215-
/O.UPG.KLWX.WS.A.0002.210131T0600Z-210201T0600Z/
/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.W.0002.210131T0600Z-210201T0500Z/
Rappahannock-Orange-Culpeper-Stafford-Spotsylvania-King George-
Southern Fauquier-
902 AM EST Sat Jan 30 2021

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM SUNDAY TO MIDNIGHT
EST SUNDAY NIGHT...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 4 to 8
  inches and ice accumulations of around one tenth of an inch
  expected.

* WHERE...Portions of central and northern Virginia.

* WHEN...From 1 AM Sunday to midnight EST Sunday night. The
  heaviest snow is most likely just after sunrise Sunday into
  Sunday afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in
your vehicle in case of an emergency.

When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on
steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery,
increasing your risk of a fall and injury.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Usually not until its already happening and we dont need models anymore

This must be the most stressful part for meteorologists. People will always complain when they get it wrong.  Everyone wants an accurate forecast, but with these kinds of storms, you really can't know until it sets up off the coast.  I've always liked these kinds of storms for this reason...the storm will do what it wants.  Then we just sit and watch the NWS continue to increase totals throughout the storm! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ji said:
9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:
Usually not until its already happening and we dont need models anymore

Hey man you gonna stick around for what looks to be an active February. And yes...on your post. Think March 2001 lol

Only for game time during events. If this storm wasnt lining up over a weekend I prob wouldnt have jumped back in. 

Expectations on these kinds of storms should be easy. There's plenty of history to draw off of. Jan 2016 was the absolutely ultimate end result and quite anomalous. Which was incredible but that's not happening again with this one. This one is more typical w/climo. You and me are fighting for a total respectable enough that we can light the board up with goofy nonsense. Otherwise we go dark and log off.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Too much dry slot. We ain't even sniffing the deform band on the NAMs  Many hours of  light rain/drizzle and then some snizzle and a few snow showers once the upper levels cool. Maybe an inch or so on the back end.

Yeah that's pretty lame. But its a step in the right direction. 

Edit: it's probably not gonna go our way in the end. It's easier to hope for CCB further east but what good is that anyways when it's all washed away by 12 hours of rain.

5 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

After all the potential this has shown all week, anything less than 8-10” is a disappointment for many. Let’s see how the GFS comes in here soon. 

Practically EVERY SINGLE STORM is a disappointment to many. Nobody knows our yards like we do. Gotta combine modelism with IMBY'ism and adjust accordingly.  PSU was only freaking out this week because storms like this often crush his yard and models werent showing that. They were showing "unusual yard jacks" and it was very troubling to him

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Just now, LeesburgWx said:

After all the potential this has shown all week, anything less than 8-10” is a disappointment for many. Let’s see how the GFS comes in here soon. 

I'll be happy with 4 inches, which is a reasonable expectation given climo and the 6z suite. I think it's going to be hard to avoid the CCB being between Philly and NYC or a dryslot/changeover for part of the storm.  But who knows. That's the fun of this hobby, right? 

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

I never thought there was enough confluence with this one. The NA vortex is on the move as this system slowly evolves, so we lose the 'suppressive' element and the mechanism to keep the cold feed from the NE as the transfer is unfolding. I knew early on that there would be some rain here, and why I never bought the somewhat suppressed/colder Euro runs.

I don’t think the confluence is the problem. That has to be moving out as the storm arrives or it can’t amplify on the coast and we get a weaker sinking wave and no coastal at all. The problem is the angle of that last vort of the pinwheel to our north comes down in a bad spot and as the trough to our west feels the influence it stretches out positively tilted.  That wasn’t on guidance 5 days ago when we were getting 30” bomb solutions here. Confluence has reversed and backed off the last few runs but is still slightly MORE then those epic runs. What changed us the trough being positive on approach which then makes the transfer and capture process take a little longer. Longer pushes that process further up the coast since the low will be gaining latitude UNTIL its captured then it stalls and pinwheels. But we need that sooner v later.  We simply need a quicker phase unfortunately if we’re being honest the model bias is typically the wrong way with this and if anything the phase tends to happen slower. Not always though. And the trough is trending better (less positive) the last few runs of the euro and the NAM made a significant jump south at 12z.  So DC is still in the ccb game. But the interaction between the wave in the Midwest and that last NS SW to rotate around the Atlantic vortex is what hurt us imo. 

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic