• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31 - Feb 1 Event - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

If I was told 2 weeks ago that I could lock up a 4-6" storm this weekend even if Philly-NYC got a foot+++, I would have done it and I'd still do it right now. Just saying.

No man. I really see why Bob Chill gave up this hobby. Hobbies are suppose to be fun and rewarding. Imagine if you tried to play the guitar for 15 years and only knew the D Chord

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

26 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Central VA seemed to lose 1-2” on the thump on this 00z EURO run. Real bummer.

Yea that is killing places DC south. Even with some marginal gains from part 2 it’s a net loss. Unfortunately the primary is shearing out and weakening so the WAA is dying as it gets to us. Suppression ugh lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea that is killing places DC south. Even with some marginal gains from part 2 it’s a net loss. Unfortunately the primary is shearing out and weakening so the WAA is dying as it gets to us. Suppression ugh lol 

Only way we make that up is if the low transfers / deepens early and south, and tucks with a solid h5 passage. That’s a lot of risk to bank on though. 

That was suppose to be the easy part of the storm. Wouldn't it be something if we got a dusting to 2 inches because both sides dried up. This has a March 01 feel to it. Red flag was seeing all these 48 hour storm with 8 inches on the map
  • Like 1

To be fair the 0z euro looked great in every way except the QPF. If you just looked at the h5 and mslp you would think N VA northeast got 12”+ easy. Instead we sat under a dryslot forever. 
I don't get it. I saw this first...and then 500 and didn't bother looking at the precip panels . Just shocking

85afb08986554a87161b53b03b5340e9.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ji said:

No man. I really see why Bob Chill gave up this hobby. Hobbies are suppose to be fun and rewarding. Imagine if you tried to play the guitar for 15 years and only knew the D Chord

For me, the hobby is learning. Not figuring out how to will our climo to be like Boston's. That's eh, a losing battle. Nothing you or I or Bob or PSU can do will change anything. That's why I don't get caught up in the "rooting for this feature" or that. It doesn't matter. It never will. I hope I get snow to play in with my kids. From the looks of things, I will. I want to learn more about how we get it and how we don't. That's why I'm here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

To be fair the 0z euro looked great in every way except the QPF. If you just looked at the h5 and mslp you would think N VA northeast got 12”+ easy. Instead we sat under a dryslot forever. 

Guess we'll see what happens on the 00z EPS... though I think we are just about too close in now for it 

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

Seems you and @psuhoffman are on agreement on that... which is good lol

Perhaps euro is having trouble with all of the lifting / frontogenesis going on to the NE and precip to the W that it’s having convective issues in between. 

If someone told me that if I said yes, the surface, 500 and h5 setup would pan out exactly as tonight’s 0z euro depicts, I’d say yes in a heartbeat and chance the fact that the dry slot is placed too far west / too prominent. That upper air setup = MECS 9/10 times. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ji said:

I don't get it. I saw this first...and then 500 and didn't bother looking at the precip panels . Just shocking

85afb08986554a87161b53b03b5340e9.jpg

So it’s still a 6-12” snowstorm across our area so it’s not like it’s a full fail. But yes that’s underperforming that look right there. Even more so if you look at the whole progression, primary jumps from the KY OH border to eastern NC then tucks up east of OC. Perfection. But it’s possible the op simply overdid the dryslot on that run. Maybe it was a hiccup. Precip isn’t the most accurate at this range.  If we actually get that surface and h5 progression I’ll bet it’s a better result. 

• Like 8

Let’s see what 6z has to say. The ole 6z//.. Notorious for depicting QPF laden bombs and clown maps within 36 hr, just to pull back at 12z. ^_^

Man. Wish we had a LITTLE more consistency in solutions, but it’s hard when the models are trying to handle part 2 of a storm when part 1 is nowhere near the area and there’s so many moving parts associated with this setup. Miller b’s are tricky. They can’t bite us to the NE... but when they pan out....it’s a thing of perfection. 

12 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Let’s see what 6z has to say. The ole 6z//.. Notorious for depicting QPF laden bombs and clown maps within 36 hr, just to pull back at 12z. ^_^

Man. Wish we had a LITTLE more consistency in solutions, but it’s hard when the models are trying to handle part 2 of a storm when part 1 is nowhere near the area and there’s so many moving parts associated with this setup. Miller b’s are tricky. They can’t bite us to the NE... but when they pan out....it’s a thing of perfection. 

I feel the same way models say this this this then one model out of no where closer to the event says oh not. then forecast for me says fri will be 52 how can you even forecast that when the models have problems with a storm 48-72 hours out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

The origins of this is out there now. How is it, where is it as compared to forecasts  for it  at this time ?

Good luck extrapolating where a deform of a coastal that hasn’t formed yet sets up in 72 hours from current observations. Let me know how that works for you. 

@high risk and @ers-wxman1 can chime in with how much it does/doesn’t mean but the EPS does not support the dryslot on the op. Increased qpf significantly again especially over N VA.  Very slight cut back from WAA but significantly increased the CCB from 18z and we thought that was a great run. Totals dropped SLIGHTLY along the southern zones due to the loss of some with the WAA and deform won’t help south of EZF but increased everywhere else. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned and locked this topic